I take back what i said about episode 3

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
...a few months back when the trailer first came out i was like, too much CG and bring back the models and miniatures and all that...

i saw the trailer recently on film print before a movie at my local cineplex,

and for me, who is going to watch episode 3 on film ('coz there aint no digital projection yet where i be living),

for you "film grain aesthetic" junkies, the actual film print is well composited. there is fairly decent and aesthetically pleasing grain IMHO from the digitally-shot foreground actors, through to the ships, and backgrounds do have a matt-painted feel that is consistent.

anyone else that's seen the trailer on projected film or projected DLP cinema care to comment? since we've obviously got nothing better to do

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    edit: as in phantom menace and attack of the clones, you could definitely see some digital video noise happening on the foreground actors... it is hardly hardly, if at all, visible in episode 3 from what i can tell from the trailer, because the overall 'flattening and grain enhancement' blends everything together quite well.

and also in the past 8 years there has been great leaps in digital filmmaking as well...
  • Reply 2 of 29
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Hopefully they go back and do some work on I & II before releasing Super Ultra Mega Star Wars DVD Set.

Also, they need to have Han shoot first again... for the love of God.
  • Reply 3 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

Hopefully they go back and do some work on I & II before releasing Super Ultra Mega Star Wars DVD Set......

hmm checklist...

1. completely remove any image, voice, trace, or reference of jar jar binks

2. see no. 1 above

3. umm... i'm sleepy someone else suggest what to re-do grove??
  • Reply 4 of 29
    Quote:

Hopefully they go back and do some work on I & II before releasing Super Ultra Mega Star Wars DVD Set.

oh i think lucas is now tossing up between starting on making episode 7-9 or making over ep 1, 2, 4, 5, 6 to make everything consistent to some degree with the level they (i am guessing) will reach with ep. 3

for the SuperUltraMega Starwars Septology..! on BLU-RAY 1920x1080 60p

ohhhhh yeaahhhhh !!111!!11!
  • Reply 5 of 29
    playmakerplaymaker Posts: 511member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

hmm checklist...

1. completely remove any image, voice, trace, or reference of jar jar binks

2. see no. 1 above

3. umm... i'm sleepy someone else suggest what to re-do grove??

I'm so glad that people see how bad that character was. Jar Jar almost ruined the entire lifetime Star Wars experience all together. My exwife said that she really liked the character and thought he was "cute".....

As you can probably already tell I divorced that bitch.
  • Reply 6 of 29
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Playmaker

As you can probably already tell I divorced that bitch.

you rule

and jar jar sucked
  • Reply 7 of 29
    The Phantom Edit was great and should be made the official version. No stupid "Let's try spinning, that's a good trick!" or "WOOHOO!" from the little asshat kid and minimal Jar Jar.

And again, with feeling, HAN SHOOTS FIRST!
  • Reply 8 of 29
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Quote:

Don't just say it... wear it.

• Reply 9 of 29
    Can someone fill me in on the who shot first conspiricy? It sounds really funny but I dont know what you guys are talking about. Thanks.
  • Reply 10 of 29
    In the cantina, Han shoots the bounty hunter once the bounty hunter says he's going to take Han back to Jaba the Hutt.

In the remastered edition, Lucas decided to have the bounty hunter shoot first to make it look like Han was defending himself; the rationale being that a noble heroic character like Han Solo wouldn't shoot first.
  • Reply 11 of 29
    Quote:

In the cantina, Han shoots the bounty hunter once the bounty hunter says he's going to take Han back to Jaba the Hutt.

In the remastered edition, Lucas decided to have the bounty hunter shoot first to make it look like Han was defending himself; the rationale being that a noble heroic character like Han Solo wouldn't shoot first.

AHH, thats actually pretty interesting. Why does Lucas feel the need to sugar coat the story like that? Very interesting though.
  • Reply 12 of 29
    Because he sucks.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Yes, Han shot first.

Yes, Jar Jar must die.

Yes, Lucas has been steadily increasing his suckitude over the years.

I suspect that ILM has a tank up at Skywalker Ranch where they keep his brain bathed in nutrients between directorial outings, ready to be put back into the audio-animatronic body they built for him years ago, after an enraged fan burst into the compound and shot him dead for putting that massively sucking bongo ditty at the end of Episode VI. The new edition new age Guatemalan folk music number can never erase the horror.

Also, the fake body theory explains the mysterious swelling of Lucas's neck to cane toad proportions. Gotta put the positronic circuitry somewhere.

Now as far as digital vs. film prints go, I originally say Episode II on film, and thought it sucked.

Then I saw it as a digital projection, and totally dug it.

Now mind you, the different format couldn't do anything for the insipid dialogue, leaden performances and sketchy plotting.

But what the digital projection did do was make ILM's fabulous world building really come alive. It's counter intuitive (at least to my intuition, knowing what I do about film vs. digital), but the digital felt much more involving, which much better delineation of foreground and background elements and a much better sense of concreteness and weight given to the various CG elements.

It may be that some of the film prints in circulation just weren't very good (would Lucas go so far as to deliberately make the film transfers so-so, just to further his dreams of an all digital world?), but to my eyes the film print was muddy, with poor contrast and a lot of noise (grain). So much so that instead of enjoying the eye candy, I was obliged to watch the actors, with predictably unpleasant results.
  • Reply 14 of 29
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Because he sucks.

I think it's just because he's not into the "imperfect hero" character type. Star Wars is so bipolar about it's treatment of good and evil that I think it actually is more consistent with Han firing second. Now, if Han spent longer in the gray area, the movie may have been cooler, but that's not how it was written.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Scoundrels shoot first.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    kung fu guykung fu guy Posts: 158member
    Han shoots first: Yeah, the special edition messes with the character's moral center. A real no-no! And how can Greedo miss at point blank range? Lucas is a dumb ass. He's gotten soft and cuddly like an ewok. As for episode 3, does anyone want to be dissappointed for a 3rd time in a row. Gawd I want this to be over. Finish. Kapput! But no. He's going back and making all 6 films in 3D. True. Lucas was more interesting pre-star wars. American Graffiti a classic. THX-113 the dark lucas. What would he have done if he had made Apocylpse Now as he originally intented?
  • Reply 17 of 29
    I watched an interview with George Lucas on one of the Australian (not sure which one, I was channel surfing ), anyway, at the end he mentioned he was looking for a condo or house in Sydney (where most of episode 1, 2 & 3 studio shots were filmed) because he would be spending more time there filming the Star Wars TV series 8)
  • Reply 18 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bart Smastard

I watched an interview with George Lucas on one of the Australian (not sure which one, I was channel surfing ), anyway, at the end he mentioned he was looking for a condo or house in Sydney (where most of episode 1, 2 & 3 studio shots were filmed) because he would be spending more time there filming the Star Wars TV series 8)

Bob Carr just wet himself

Lucas can get a huge ass place in Paddington, rename it Lucasville, take over Fox Studios and call it "Lucas Ranch Studios" and take over College of Fine Arts and call it "Industrial Light and Magic College of Fine Digital Art"

Anyone familiar with Sydney would know what I'm on about

Scary thing though is that it could happen...

Hasn't ILM taken over the old Presidio in San Francisco or something? The old hospital complex has been redone for LucasFilm something or other?
  • Reply 19 of 29
    Yes ILM have moved to new home at the old Presidio Hospital site. I just read about in Wired the other day.

Here's the link
  • Reply 20 of 29
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Dude, even I would beat you up and steal your lunch money if I saw you wearing that T-shirt.

The only character that deserves to be redone with CGI is young Anakin in Episode I. A week-old roadkill opossum would be preferable. Or maybe ILM can perfect THX Surround Pencil in Ear technology for the next DVD re-gifted set to along with digitally enhanced irritable child noises.