Briefly: Mac OS X 10.4.1, Apple tablet, Xbox 360 photos and specs

2

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 48
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by BWhaler

    I hate to say it since I love the company, but the bugs in Tiger are disgraceful.





    I still say no big surprise there.



    To some degree the best way to find bugs is to put the software out there for the public at large to use.



    Wisdom has taught or should have taught us not to upgrade on X.0. If you do its to your own peril.



    18 months or so from now we'll be having this same conversation with 10.6.
  • Reply 22 of 48
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by TenoBell

    I still say no big surprise there.



    To some degree the best way to find bugs is to put the software out there for the public at large to use.



    Wisdom has taught or should have taught us not to upgrade on X.0. If you do its to your own peril.



    18 months or so from now we'll be having this same conversation with 10.6.




    What happened to 10.5 - or is it like Longhorn - a fantasy?
  • Reply 23 of 48
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I like the idea of a Mac Tablet.



    For my work I could really use something like a Tablet.



    I don't care for Palm.



    I would much rather have a portable that I can write on by hand without the need for a keyboard or mouse and runs OS X with my usual apps.
  • Reply 24 of 48
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Whoops I meant 10.5.
  • Reply 25 of 48
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by TenoBell

    I like the idea of a Mac Tablet.



    For my work I could really use something like a Tablet.



    I don't care for Palm.



    I would much rather have a portable that I can write on by hand without the need for a keyboard or mouse and runs OS X with my usual apps.




    I would love a PDA made by Apple - bit bigger than the Palm PDAs - with the whole thing a screen with a light version of OS X. I have no desire for a tablet - there a bit big to draw on etc!
  • Reply 26 of 48
    Someone remember that delivering of PowerMac G5 to Redmond?



    Well, i guess it was for testing their games...
  • Reply 27 of 48
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by locomacg6

    Someone remember that delivering of PowerMac G5 to Redmond?



    Well, i guess it was for testing their games...




    That's old news. We knew that years ago.
  • Reply 28 of 48
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    PDA's are too small for my needs.



    I don't think Apple has any desire to get back into the PDA market. Especially with the currently situation, many of the OEM's are backing out.



    If I have a surface to write on I need to dispaly a full sheet of paper.

    Essentially an electronic notebook.



    It also needs to be very thin and very lite.
  • Reply 29 of 48
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by TenoBell

    PDA's are too small for my needs.



    I need to dispaly a full sheet of paper.



    Essentially an electronic notebook.




    I think they should make both.
  • Reply 30 of 48
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by tak1108

    IBM 3.2ghz chips.





    Why the hell don't we have these?
  • Reply 31 of 48
    tazznbtazznb Posts: 54member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by sabnetwork

    > If they were anyone else, they would have exited the market.



    Microsoft established from the beginning that the Xbox is a long-term investment. They never claimed to be profitable in the short-term.



    It takes a lot of cash to catch up with Sony and Nintendo, who have both been in the industry for much longer. Nintendo's been in the business forever. Sony's been in it for 15 years. Microsoft? No more than 6-7 years.






    Correction... M$ has been in the gaming business for a very looong time. Ever buy a PC game..... and then wonder why they never offer to send it to OSX.... Windows has been in the gaming business forever.
  • Reply 32 of 48
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Placebo

    Why the hell don't we have these?



    We all know Apple is especially secretive and real information about G5 development have been particularly quiet.



    I imagine when it finally comes it will be better than the Xbox chips.
  • Reply 33 of 48
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Tazznb

    Correction... M$ has been in the gaming business for a very looong time. Ever buy a PC game..... and then wonder why they never offer to send it to OSX.... Windows has been in the gaming business forever.



    They may have been, but the gaming industry is split into segments. They are a long time computer game maker but their are still in their infancy in the console market. That is what I believe parent was referring to.
  • Reply 34 of 48
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    so every Xbox 360 game should have this logo on it right?









    YEAH....!!!111!!11!
  • Reply 35 of 48
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by iGroucho

    We´re not stupid, we ARE thankful. It's GREAT MS also takes on the latest & greatest of chip-technologies, it makes for a viable prosperous platform.



    it's f8cking brilliant. M$ throwing heaps of resources at IBM actually should benefit PowerPC and Power-computing in the long run. ATi is probably sitting sweet as well...



    Overall this means continued and increased possibility of juicy PowerPC and ATi chips for Mac down the line. Few years down the line iPods will probably be running G4 chipsets and consumer to pro-level Macs will be running (IBM + ATi cpu/gpus (the line on that blurring more and more through the years with core image, etc, becoming more important)



    now these are all just my guesses, feel free to say i pulled it all out of my a55.



    WWDC 2005. "next gen g5s" strategy WILL be announced.
  • Reply 36 of 48
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by BWhaler

    I hate to say it since I love the company, but the bugs in Tiger are disgraceful.



    It obviously needed at least a couple more months of serious debugging. I used to build software for a living and I know the difference between, "every app has bugs" and something that was shoved out the door to make a deadline.



    Tiger was shipped to a deadline. Totally unacceptable.





    Sure, I am happy 10.4.1 is shipping so soon--which proves out my point.



    What worries me is the size of the update. A few dozen bug fixes? I have booked hundred to Apple which should never, ever, been in shipping software. 36MB? This update should be 200 MB worth of patches.



    I hate to be so negative, and I really love Tiger, but I really wished Apple would of waited until late June.






    1. i agree it was a risky, un-apple move

    2. i agree Tiger was shipped to a deadline, not shipped to a "acceptable bugs" standard

    3. the reasons for this is purely economic.

    a: newsworthiness. here is apple with Tiger while longhorn languishes in drying pastures

    b: there are two full months, May and June, for Tiger to drive profits and revenues

    c: there are two full months, May and June, for Tiger to drive sales of Macs by advertising that 'comes with tiger'



    4. in this case apple has taken the following risks:

    a: 'leet' users getting 10.4.0 will live with bugs for the joy of getting a piece of the next generation OS

    b: consumer users would not experience the high level of bugs reported due to their more 'general, learning-curve' type usage

    c: professionals running important or mission critical stuff will be very satisfied with 10.3.5 to 10.3.9 and very well know that they can't blame apple if they do a mission critical Mac upgrade to 10.4.0



    edit:

    4(d): apple is betting that by the time the hype dies down and people start realising how buggy it can be, voila... 10.4.1 by end of May
  • Reply 37 of 48
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,570member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by TenoBell

    We all know Apple is especially secretive and real information about G5 development have been particularly quiet.



    I imagine when it finally comes it will be better than the Xbox chips.




    You guys should read earlier posts.



    I'll repeat. These are not the same chips Apple uses. These are simpler, cheaper chips.



    Just as the Cell is able to get to 4 GHz with a PPC core chip on it, these can get to 3.2 GHz by not being full general purpose cpu's, but rather simple, highly optimized versions.



    Apple can't use these.
  • Reply 38 of 48
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,570member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by sunilraman

    1. i agree it was a risky, un-apple move

    2. i agree Tiger was shipped to a deadline, not shipped to a "acceptable bugs" standard

    3. the reasons for this is purely economic.

    a: newsworthiness. here is apple with Tiger while longhorn languishes in drying pastures

    b: there are two full months, May and June, for Tiger to drive profits and revenues

    c: there are two full months, May and June, for Tiger to drive sales of Macs by advertising that 'comes with tiger'



    4. in this case apple has taken the following risks:

    a: 'leet' users getting 10.4.0 will live with bugs for the joy of getting a piece of the next generation OS

    b: consumer users would not experience the high level of bugs reported due to their more 'general, learning-curve' type usage

    c: professionals running important or mission critical stuff will be very satisfied with 10.3.5 to 10.3.9 and very well know that they can't blame apple if they do a mission critical Mac upgrade to 10.4.0



    edit:

    4(d): apple is betting that by the time the hype dies down and people start realising how buggy it can be, voila... 10.4.1 by end of May




    All this may be true but it still isn't a good excuse.



    How many of these new users are going to be soured by a bad first experience?



    When the update does come out, how many know enough NOT to download it from the Software Update panel, but to start with their DVD, check the HD, repair permissions, go back to the Software Update panel, install the update, and then repair permissions again?



    Hell, how many OLD Mac users know that they have to do that?



    Apple states that this should be done, but then does not mention it when the update comes down. It just updates.



    I hate to think that tens of thousands of new Mac users are going to go through that just a few weeks after they bought their new machine.



    If the bugs were minor, fine, but reports are coming in about data corruption, failed upgrades because of SCSI cards, the reappearance of upgrade Firewire problems, security lapses with Dashboard, etc.



    These problems should NOT BE HERE! These are the things that a proper beta program is designed to catch, and proper development is supposed to fix.



    Sales numbers shouldn't determine when an OS upgrade is fit for release. We are talking of perhaps $50-75 million additional this quarter, hardly major. They would make the sales up 30 days later.



    I have a fair amount of Apple stock, and it's getting hammered lately for lots of reasons. I don't want to read in Forbes that new purchasers are unhappy with Apple.



    Obscure bugs, fine, I'll grant that. But not major ones such as these.
  • Reply 39 of 48
    will quartz 2d extreme be enabled?
  • Reply 40 of 48
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by melgross

    .....When the update does come out, how many know enough NOT to download it from the Software Update panel, but to start with their DVD, check the HD, repair permissions, go back to the Software Update panel, install the update, and then repair permissions again?



    Hell, how many OLD Mac users know that they have to do that?.....






    i'm on 10.3.9... i never do that. i just do the software update whenever i hear of a new update... then every few weeks i let Onyx have it's half-an-hour-way with my iBook



    well, we will see if it was worth 'rushing' Tiger out the door....
Sign In or Register to comment.