Mobile site believes it has uncovered Motorola's iTunes phone

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Motorola, notorious for leaking information on new products before their official release, may have divulged enough information on its upcoming iTunes phone for tech savvy enthusiasts to piece together a picture of the device.

The iTunes phone appears to be the Motorola E790, a handset based on the same hardware platform as the company's E398 and C698p devices, the Mobile Gazette is reporting.

The online publication believes the E790 will be a tri-band GSM phone with Bluetooth, a 176x220 pixel display, VGA resolution camera and microSD/TransFlash removable memory with up to of 1GB of storage.

"Add to that an email client, web browser, Java support and the usual features, plus the E398's stereo speakers and you get a handset that's a capable music phone, but really nothing special," the mobile site speculates.

Along with an image of the purported phone, the Gazette also published 3 screenshots of what has since been confirmed to be a development version of iTunes Mobile -- a scaled down version of Apple's digital music jukebox software for cellular phones.

The screenshots were first published on Gizmodo, an online gadget site. A system administrator from Motorola Collective later confirmed to the Gizmodo site that the images were indeed authentic.

(Gizmodo Photo)

"The correct images of the iTunes screens are still under development and are not final nor approved by either Apple or Motorola," the Motorola representative said. "We would expect them to be available mid July when the product launches."

The most recent comments from Motorola CEO also place the iTunes phone for an introduction sometime in "the next few months."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    They talk about the lack of 3G and how downloading music will be too slow with GSM. I guess they don't know the phone only downloads from iTunes on your computer, not directly from the iTune music store. I have my doubts about the accuracy of this article. Isn't the phone supposed to be called the ROKR V6 as well? It's too bad they couldn't go with Sony Ericsson but both companies have their own paths to follow. I think I'll just buy an imported D750i or K600i since I already have an iPod. I've never been too impressed with the Motorola phones. The RAZR is cool but they really need to work on their graphics quality.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1984

They talk about the lack of 3G and how downloading music will be too slow with GSM. I guess they don't know the phone only downloads from iTunes on your computer, not directly from the iTune music store. I have my doubts about the accuracy of this article. Isn't the phone supposed to be called the ROKR V6 as well? It's too bad they couldn't go with Sony Ericsson but both companies have their own paths to follow. I think I'll just buy an imported D750i or K600i since I already have an iPod. I've never been too impressed with the Motorola phones. The RAZR is cool but they really need to work on their graphics quality.

They also need to work on basic functionality and usability. Motorola phones generally suck and even the RAZR looks rubbish and has bad buttons - it's Sony every time when it comes to mobiles. Jobs would have loved to work with Sony on their phones but Sony have their own online store - apparently
  • Reply 3 of 10
    macminimacmini Posts: 4member
    Does anyone else find it weird that the message to gizmodo was signed "System Administrator, Motorola Collective"?

Why would the stystem administrator send such an email?
  • Reply 4 of 10
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    With Apple's push for 3GPP and QuickTime I doubt it highly they would put their John Hancock on a device that would fail these requirements.

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/technologies/3gpp/
  • Reply 5 of 10
    macminimacmini Posts: 4member
    I'm surprised AppleInsider picked this one up
  • Reply 6 of 10
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacMini

I'm surprised AppleInsider picked this one up

It is just labled as a rumor.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    I must say I'm a little disappointed in AppleInsider.

Such sloppy reporting.

The screenshots were first published on Gizmodo, an online gadget site.

Please amend your story and give credit to the people who actually FIRST posted the shots, Mobile Music Blog.

Heck, if you follow the link in the gizmodo story, it links to the earlier gizmodo story where they give credit to MMB.

Shame.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Wow. How very underwhelming.

Compare it to theK750i or the W800 or some of the japanese insanophones.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Wow. How very underwhelming.

Compare it to theK750i or the W800 or some of the japanese insanophones.

Well Moto phones are always crap! Apple believe in a more simple design approach than Sony and Motorola don't believe in design at all. I don't believe this is it though - I heard Motorola were making two design for a all phones - the RAZR and another design for women.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    fugly.