Bill Gates gives $450 million to medical research

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

click

Next time you pay too much for Office, look at it as a donation.

Quote:

The world's richest man, American businessman Bill Gates will donate $450 million for medical research it is reported.

Gates took the podium at the World Health Organization's (WHO) annual meeting earlier today in Geneva, Switzerland. The head of Microsoft has promised to make the donation to assist research into vaccines for the deadly diseases killing millions of people each year.

He informed that they have doubled the amount of the money earmarked for medical studies adding that it is unfortunate that there is still no vaccine for Tuberculosis and Malaria despite that fact that a hundred years has passed since the cause of these diseases was discovered.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    whiterabbitwhiterabbit Posts: 208member
    I don't think so. 450mil is like 1% of his money. When you buy office, the money is divided up among the company, so that means that almost nothing woul actually end up being donated by him.

He just does that so people don't think he's all that bad. Everytime he does it, it is highly publicised.
  • Reply 2 of 37
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by WhiteRabbit

He just does that so people don't think he's all that bad.

What on earth can this possibly mean?
  • Reply 3 of 37
    Hands up if you like Bill Gates! Anyone? ANYONE?
  • Reply 4 of 37
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    I hope something comes out of this. It is, indeed, sad that there are no vaccines for diseases like Tuberculosis and Malaria.

And $450 mil. is a lot of money. A LOT OF MONEY. More than the annual budget of quite a few countries in Africa and elsewhere.
  • Reply 5 of 37
    soulcrushersoulcrusher Posts: 587member
    there is a malaria vaccine. I remember this because it was in the news a few years ago. It was discovered by some colombian dude.
  • Reply 6 of 37
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    here, have a penny
  • Reply 7 of 37
    johnrpjohnrp Posts: 357member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

here, have a penny

C-mon give the guy a break.. he hasn't got a bak account sitting there with billions of dollars in with him thinking "how do i give the smallest amount to charity I can"

This is a lot of money. He is using he wealth to help others.

Be nice to him (for this gift at least).

j.

Plus did I hear somewhere that he has already set up trust funds for his kids of only $1,000,000.00 and that's all they get.
  • Reply 8 of 37
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    There is no effective malaria vaccine : the results where disapointing.

There is a tuberculosis vaccine : but it's not 100 % proof. However I will recommand it, because it help stopping the epidemia, and it protect against the worst forms of tuberculosis : bones, kidneys ...
  • Reply 9 of 37
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

here, have a penny

Wether you like him or not, 450 millions of dollars, is a huge amount of money who will greatly help the research.

If this research are a sucess, they may save millions or even one billion of life in the next coming decades.
  • Reply 10 of 37
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    regardless of what i personally have against bill gates and microsoft (there i said it),

i applaud and admire the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and what they do.

as aussies would say, good on ya mate.

now back to rubbing my hands in glee on how much Ps3 OWNS! xbox360
  • Reply 11 of 37
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

I don't think so. 450mil is like 1% of his money.

I think it's actually even less than that.
  • Reply 12 of 37
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    If I had chisled my way to being the world's richest man, I'd have a few guilt issues too. He has ruined, through the excessess of capitalism, many, many companies and careers -- leaving a wake of attornies fees and ill will. His software and methods were so appalling it jumpstarted the FOSS movement. The only reason M$FT wasn't chopped up into tiny pieces is the government couldn't afford to neuture one of the largest companies in the world. How many hundred-billion dollar companies are as hated as M$FT?

Bill Gates is an evil man, he hasn't stopped chisling.

On top of this, his giving is public, (that will mean something for all you marketing majors out there) and it's out of excess. It means next to nothing. Virtually anyone in his position would be doing the same thing.
  • Reply 13 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by dmz

How many hundred-billion dollar companies are as hated as M$FT?

Give me a list of companies with the same-ish market cap and we'll see.
  • Reply 14 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

Give me a list of companies with the same-ish market cap and we'll see.

My point perzactly, how many could there be? To be hated more than the oil industry? M$FT is in a unique position.
  • Reply 15 of 37
    There is no way in hell MS is more hated than the Oil industry. That whole industry causes actual deaths and terrorism and despotic rulers. It's night and day.

More hated than Wal-Mart?

More hated than the credit card industry?

More hated than phone companies?

More hated than cable companies?

No chance in hell on any of those.

Don't confuse Maclot rage with real-world conditions.
  • Reply 16 of 37
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

I don't think so. 450mil is like 1% of his money. When you buy office, the money is divided up among the company, so that means that almost nothing woul actually end up being donated by him.

He just does that so people don't think he's all that bad. Everytime he does it, it is highly publicised.

However, he has already donated about $30,000,000,000, around a third of his wealth.
  • Reply 17 of 37
    kneelbeforezodkneelbeforezod Posts: 1,120member
    Who cares what his motivation is or what the percentage of his wealth or Microsoft's worth this amount constitutes. People's lives will be saved by this money.
  • Reply 18 of 37
    Quote:

There is no way in hell MS is more hated than the Oil industry. That whole industry causes actual deaths and terrorism and despotic rulers. It's night and day.

More hated than Wal-Mart?

More hated than the credit card industry?

More hated than phone companies?

More hated than cable companies?

No chance in hell on any of those.

Don't confuse Maclot rage with real-world conditions.

I'd have to argue, lawsuit for lawsuit, attorny fee to attorny fee, class action to class action, M$FT is ahead of all of these combined.

Although Wal-Mart's exceptional brand of conscienceless capitalism runs a close second. But even then, Wal-Mart isn't treated as a neccesary evil, just a good value.

But then I don't have cable.....
  • Reply 19 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by dmz

I'd have to argue, lawsuit for lawsuit, attorny fee to attorny fee, M$FT is ahead of all of these combined.

You said "hated" not "litigious".

Sure, MS is in the court system a lot, but there's a huge difference between massive corporations slapfighting and credit card companies actively ruining people's lives on massive scales.
  • Reply 20 of 37
    Quote:

You said "hated" not "litigious".

Sure, MS is in the court system a lot, but there's a huge difference between massive corporations slapfighting and credit card companies actively ruining people's lives on massive scales.

You don't think you're being cantankerous, by any chance?

(I'd have to agree in principle on the Credit Cards companies, though -- now if we could just get the Red Cross as Bank of America's holding company!)