And the Magic Number is.... 3.2 GHZ

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 64
    thttht Posts: 5,441member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

eh? people nowadays will have email open, dashboard running, bittorrent downloading, surfing pr0n, word in another window, photoshop somewhere in the background they forgot to quit out of...

Are those apps running in the background or are they waiting for user input?
  • Reply 62 of 64
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by THT

Are those apps running in the background or are they waiting for user input?

um... both ?
  • Reply 63 of 64
    thttht Posts: 5,441member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

um... both ?

Ok. I'll ask the question differently. For the vast majority of users, are background processes taking up a non-trivial amount of CPU time? Non-trivial means something more than iTunes running in the background, Dashboard widgets receiving network I/O, web browsers with gif animations, flash and other stuff.

I've done the internet video broadcast and web browsing at the same time before. I suppose it may even possible for TV to be pushed over the Internet at 720p HD in the future, and I could have it on while web browsing. That'll require 2 decent processors or a 2+ GHz G5 to do smoothly, probably.
  • Reply 64 of 64
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by THT

Ok. I'll ask the question differently. For the vast majority of users, are background processes taking up a non-trivial amount of CPU time? Non-trivial means something more than iTunes running in the background, Dashboard widgets receiving network I/O, web browsers with gif animations, flash and other stuff.

I've done the internet video broadcast and web browsing at the same time before. I suppose it may even possible for TV to be pushed over the Internet at 720p HD in the future, and I could have it on while web browsing. That'll require 2 decent processors or a 2+ GHz G5 to do smoothly, probably.

yeah fair enough i was being a smartass

but i am finding, that on 10.3.9 it is amazingly stable and handles tons of stuff at it. so my personal case is azureus running in the background (this is non-trivial), handbrake and possibly h.264 down the line (definitely non-trivial), watching a DVD (not-so-trivial) while checking mail and surfing the web (okay, some what trivial CPU wise but not RAMwise with all these apps and switching between them).... also every now and then i open up flash and maybe photoshop.

well the story is for me anyway, i am a power user that has hit some hard times so i've taken over my dad's iBook g4 933mhz 256mb ram, and still have to share it with the family through UserSwitching and all that.

so i am very impressed with the iBook, considering the punishment i am putting it through... more RAM and more cpu power would be great but i would probably push it even harder if that was the case

umm... i had a point with this but if there was a point hopefully i might have made it somewhere above \

i think a lot of us agree in any case that video compress/decompress is becoming increasingly important for a variety of users, and codec tech and bandwidth has reached the point of delivering 576p quality stuff to a large amount of users (720p and 1080p is still a bit too high end IMHO in terms of bandwidth, for example, and 1080p resolutions are small part of the market share)

but if you look at 576p upwards yes, a dedicated subprocessor for video, Cell, or otherwise, will be increasingly important in the next few years. given various tasks, it's a big drain to suck up all that CPU for "just playing a video"