Apple CEO vows to take "blogger" suit to Supreme Court

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple Computer chief executive Steve Jobs told a crowd at this week's Wall Street Journal D: All Things Digital Conference that he will take his lawsuits involving several Apple online news sites to the Supreme Court if he has to.

Shortly after demonstrating a new version of iTunes and dodging questions about whether Apple would enter the video market, Jobs began to justifying his decision to sue online journalists for reporting on Apple's future product plans.

The Apple CEO claimed that "no one has the right to publish confidential information just because they can," according to a post made by Wired magazine co-founder John Battelle on his Searchblog website.

Jobs vowed to take the issue to the Supreme Court, if necessary.

Asked why he pulled all Wiley books from his Apple Stores over an unauthorized biography driven to market by publisher, Jobs said, "I didn't want to do business with them." But then he added, "People can publish whatever they want to publish."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    One has to wonder how successful Steve Jobs would or could be without petulance.
  • Reply 2 of 45
    Quote:

Ironic.

Thanks AppleInsider... What great insight.
  • Reply 3 of 45
    bredlobredlo Posts: 14member
    Ironic how, exactly? I would feel the exact same way in Jobs' shoes - I would reserve the right to protect my company's trade secrets using any legal method. I would also reserve the right to choose not to be the distributor for a book that was unfavorable about me. Did Jobs try to stop the publication? Nope. He just chose not to help it reach an audience through the Apple store.

I approve of both moves.
  • Reply 4 of 45
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bredlo

I would also reserve the right to choose not to be the distributor for a book that was unfavorable about me. Did Jobs try to stop the publication? Nope. He just chose not to help it reach an audience through the Apple store.

He didn't just restrict the one book, however. He stopped all Wiley books from being sold in Apple stores. That's just childish petulance, and not particularly smart business.
  • Reply 5 of 45
    bredlobredlo Posts: 14member
    While your point is valid, I disagree. There are plenty of other publishers out there that do educational titles - I don't think it's unwise to choose a different one.

Look at it this way: it may be ego on Steve's part, but is it really fair for this pubisher to put out a negative book on the CEO of one of it's business partners? Should they think that the two things are totally unrelated? I don't. You can't remove personal feelings from business deals, nice as it might be if you could. Although Steve has thought from the hip many times in the past to the detriment of Apple, this is one time where I think he has every right not to want to deal with a company that would put a negative message out there... it's really a conflict of interests and I don't see it impacting Apple negatively at all to pull their books from Apple retail locations.
  • Reply 6 of 45
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Steve has created a double standard to protect himself.

Jobs will lose his battle in the Supreme Court if he tries to stop news agencies from reporting. As long as TS, AI, Joeseph Blough, come across information by legal means, Freedom of Speech wins out.

He is making an ass out of himself whether he is right or wrong.

Steve needs to stop acting like he is on the playground and get some thicker skin and plug those leaks.

As far as pulling the books off his shelves goes, he can do whatever he wants. That business and it is his constituional right to do so.

Edited to correct one typo that macFanDave pointed out. \
  • Reply 7 of 45
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

As long as TS, AI, Joeseph Blough, come across information by legal means

That may be the real issue here.

Additionally, it is interesting to see what happens when the (unstated) "right" of privacy butts up against the (stated) right of press freedom.

• Reply 8 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

Additionally, it is interesting to see what happens when the (unstated) "right" of privacy butts up against the (stated) right of press freedom.

It will be interesting.

Steve doesn't sue over facts about his private life in the book he pulled. He will sue over private facts about products his company makes.

It comes down to Steve treating website only publications as non-legitamate news outlets. Matt Drudge would probably disagree with him...
  • Reply 9 of 45
    Quote:

It comes down to Steve treating website only publications as non-legitamate news outlets.

Possibly. It may really come down to the fact that the information revelation was a violation of a legally-binding contract (NDA), and that Apple believes that the enticement to violate the agreement came from the source that reported the information.

Quote:

Matt Drudge would probably disagree with him...

Oh boy.
  • Reply 10 of 45
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    That's more of Jobs being an ass-clown.
  • Reply 11 of 45
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    Quote:

I thought it was the only issue... freedom of speech will prevail regardless of what level of the court system Jobs wishes to get involved with. However, if somebody broke a NDA to make this info available to one of these people/sites, that's an entirely different story.

Steve should be going after the folks that made the information available, not the folks who posted it.

On a related note, are there any precident setting cases of somebody breaching an NDA in the computer industry which was proven to directly affect the company who issued the NDA?
  • Reply 12 of 45
    macfandavemacfandave Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Jobs will loose(sic, it should be lose) his battle in the Supreme Court if he tries to stop news agencies from reporting. As long as TS, AI, Joeseph Blough, come across information by legal means, Freedom of Speech wins out.

It's quite clear that they didn't get the information by legal means. The givers of the information were certainly violating their NDA's. The "journalists" were doing nothing more than receiving stolen goods. This is also illegal.

Of course, your standard is faulty. Some speech can be protected even if the information is NOT gained by legal means. This is what whistleblower statutes are for.
  • Reply 13 of 45
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Jobs is suing for the publication of trade secrets - all staff sign confidentiality agreements and therefore do not have a legal right to release the information. These trade secrets, if revealed, are detrimental to Apple. If a PowerBook G5 was revealed in the press the PowerBook G4 sale would slump - that's why future products are secret. It's not about freedom of speech if it is involving trade secrets.
  • Reply 14 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by mikef

I thought it was the only issue... freedom of speech will prevail regardless of what level of the court system Jobs wishes to get involved with. However, if somebody broke a NDA to make this info available to one of these people/sites, that's an entirely different story.

That actually is the story here.

Quote:

Originally posted by mikef

Steve should be going after the folks that made the information available, not the folks who posted it.

But if it can be proven that the poster enticed the breach of contract, well, then it is less about "free speech" (which everyone wants to make this about) and more about actionable offense.
  • Reply 15 of 45
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Quote:

But if it can be proven that the poster enticed the breach of contract, well, then it is less about "free speech" (which everyone wants to make this about) and more about actionable offense.

i'm quite unconvinced of that argument. as i see it there are three parts of the transaction. requesting, receiving, and publishing leaked info. each of these steps, to me, seem legal.
  • Reply 16 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

i'm quite unconvinced of that argument. as i see it there are three parts of the transaction. requesting, receiving, and publishing leaked info. each of these steps, to me, seem legal.

I agree. Otherwise, Jobs would be suing reporters for asking about future products everytime he does an interview.

Maybe Power Mac users should file a lawsuit against Jobs for promising 3 GHz and not delivering. How much has that hurt sales?
  • Reply 17 of 45
    nathan22tnathan22t Posts: 317member
    Steve is so damn CutThroat
  • Reply 18 of 45
    junkiejunkie Posts: 122member
    As I understand it the basis of the suit is to force ThinkSecret to reveal information related to the source. How can Apple enforce the confidentiality - go after the leakers - without getting this information?
  • Reply 19 of 45
    i think AI was impling the ironic part was that after stating they would go to the supreme court over the illegal publishing of trade secrets he said in reference the the unauthorized biography "People can publish whatever they want to publish."

But I?m no english major, so whatever.
  • Reply 20 of 45
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,516member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

Actually, the law is quite clear here.

It's illegal to induce someone to pass confidential information. It is illegal to pass it, and if it's suspected that the information was illegaly obtained, the party publishing it can be sued.

A reporter is reguired to attempt to obtain information through legal means. If the information recieved wasn't obtained through legal means, then the reporter is required to attempt to find a legal way to obtain it. If that can't be done, and it's published, then (s)he and the publication can be sued.

It doesn't really matter what anyone here wants to happen or not. The law is established. It isn't in dispute. If it gets to the Supreme Court, four things could happen.

The Court can refuse to hear the case, which means that whatever decision the Apeals Court made stands.

The court hears it and rules in favor of Apple.

The court hears it and rules in favor of the defendants.

The Court strikes down the whole law, or part of it.