Why do you think movie tickets sales are in such a big slump?

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 65
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nwhysee

Humans suck. Dude next to me during 'Batman Begins' phone began to ring, instead of doing the obvious "act embarrased, and turn phone off" routine, this ninja had the audacity to talk to the person. I should have killed him then and there.

I wish you did... now this mofo will just keep on calling.

Why anyone would pay cutthroat movie ticket prices and then proceed to talk on their cell phone during the flick is beyond me!
  • Reply 62 of 65
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    Appears that AMC and Loews are going to merge, leading to even higher prices because of the lack of competition. More here:

http://www.boston.com/business/artic...ater_shake_up/

Tickets are already running $10.25 and expected to go up. It's completely ridiculous. Movies were created for the masses to enjoy - cheaply - and I think Hollywood is forgetting why they even exist.
  • Reply 63 of 65
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dogcow

Appears that AMC and Loews are going to merge, leading to even higher prices because of the lack of competition. More here:

http://www.boston.com/business/artic...ater_shake_up/

Tickets are already running $10.25 and expected to go up. It's completely ridiculous. Movies were created for the masses to enjoy - cheaply - and I think Hollywood is forgetting why they even exist.

They exist to aggressively distort copy right law and cripple technology so that everyone will have to pay for their grotesque cost structure every time they so much as glance at a single frame of any movie ever made.

It's the end game of a creatively bankrupt business. Stop thinking about how to make better movies and start leveraging assets and protecting markets and minimizing risk and synergizing profit centers.

My mother warned me this would happen if they let lawyers take over the studios.
  • Reply 64 of 65
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    Do you really think $8.00 is a lot of money? Seriously? What a canard.

Last time I went out to lunch with co-workers to TGI Fridays it cost over $12.00. Last time I went out for a steak it cost $18.00.

The last time I went to the Dodger game a ticket cost $30. The Lion King broadway show cost $65 and that was for the crappy seats.

I just spent $9.50 to see "Batman Begins" and was entertained by a thoroughly entertaining and well produced movie for two hours. They spent $150M to produce a film that I can watch for less than $10. I think that's a completely fair price.

With that said...I still prefer to watch most of my movies at home. My TV and surround sound system is usually a better "experience" simply because I don't have to put up with rude people.

Speaking of rude people. Have we as a culture completely forgotten to teach the last two generations about theater etiquette?

I have a theory. I call it the "Blockbusterization" of today's movie watchers. I think we've grown so accustomed to watching movies on our couches, that we take all that liesurely behavior with us to the theater.
  • Reply 65 of 65
    Quote:

Originally posted by Northgate

Speaking of rude people. Have we as a culture completely forgotten to teach the last two generations about theater etiquette?

I have a theory. I call it the "Blockbusterization" of today's movie watchers. I think we've grown so accustomed to watching movies on our couches, that we take all that liesurely behavior with us to the theater.

Theatre etiquette should not need to be taught, really <sigh>

I think you have a point with the Blockbusterization theory. I actually can't remember when the last time was that I went to the cinema, apart from press shows. As I said earlier, I prefer to watch movies at home, in fact I now hate watching movies in cinemas, apart from say at film festivals or in art house cinemas. And again, there is not that much difference in the price for a DVD and a cinema ticket.

BTW saw this http://global.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept...ection-videos/ last night. Blew me away. There is a lot of talent in China, Japan and Korea these days which never or rarely makes it to Western cinemas.

- T. I.