Report: 2GB and 4GB iPod shuffles in the works

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

and your sure your using the usb2 port? because some new macs, like the imac, have both usb1 & usb2 ports that look and are placed simmilar.

I have a brand new PowerBook - so it's definitely USB 2.0! The speed seems fine for printing and scanning and digital camera access - i've noticed improvements on USB 1.0 devices too. BUT USB 2.0 seems a bit slower under Tiger - I'm sure the shuffle takes longer to fill than it used to.
  • Reply 42 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by bdkennedy1

I just don't see it happening. It's already takes forever to fill up the 512mb. It would take like an hour to fill up a 4gb.

What computer are you using? you most likely only have USB 1.1 which can transfer only about 5mbs/per sec (Max 12mb) and with USB 2.0 you can transfer at about 100mbs per sec (Max 480mbs, which never happens!)
  • Reply 43 of 47
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,606member
    Quote:

Originally posted by w_parietti22

What computer are you using? you most likely only have USB 1.1 which can transfer only about 5mbs/per sec (Max 12mb) and with USB 2.0 you can transfer at about 100mbs per sec (Max 480mbs, which never happens!)

Don't be too pessimistic. I normally get about 9Mbs through 1.1 (or Full Speed), and 350 through 2 (High Speed). Most everyone else does as well.
  • Reply 44 of 47
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Don't be too pessimistic. I normally get about 9Mbs through 1.1 (or Full Speed), and 350 through 2 (High Speed). Most everyone else does as well.

I don't know how given it is pretty well known USB2 maxes out in reality around half its theoretical limits. USB2 tends to peak at 32MB/s while Firewire will peak around 40MB/s.
  • Reply 45 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

I don't know how given it is pretty well known USB2 maxes out in reality around half its theoretical limits. USB2 tends to peak at 32MB/s while Firewire will peak around 40MB/s.

That's not "pretty well known". It's dependent on, as I mentioned in an above post, processor speed and buss speed. A fast machine can get as much as 80% of the rated throughput on a regular basis, and somewhat higher at times. 90% is more common with Firewire. With slower machines, those speeds over USB couldn't be achieved. But with Firewire they could.
  • Reply 46 of 47
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    I would think that if Apple made a 2GB shuffle with more features, it would have the same proprietary connection as the hard drive iPods.
  • Reply 47 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

I would think that if Apple made a 2GB shuffle with more features, it would have the same proprietary connection as the hard drive iPods.

It all depends on cost. Unfortunately Firewire, being a more sophisticated controller, simply costs more to produce, and uses more power than does USB 2 High Speed (HS) (I'm getting tired of writing it out).