A High-end Dell?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
this was posted on Cnet.

regarding a new high end Dell that is being rolled out-

"Consider this the Lexus of our lineup," Mike George, vice president of Dell's U.S. consumer business, said during a press briefing here. "Defining the high-end is no longer the gearheads who focus on feeds and speeds. These are folks who get the possibilities of what the PC can do."

don't these guys know Apple holds that spot! and no matter how cool the box is made it still boots up with Windows!?... this is the great part about the Apple industrial design philosophy - the Os qualities match the hardward design. right now there is NO aluminum box in the PC world that come close to the slick design of the PMG5. and the laptops are in a league of their own

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Consider this the Lexus of our lineup

So it will be boring and ugly?
  • Reply 2 of 26
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    fanboy
  • Reply 3 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

fanboy

I just don't like Lexus.
  • Reply 4 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

I just don't like Lexus.

Not you
  • Reply 5 of 26
    Debating posting photos of a 'secret' Dell hardware offering(not related)... will get back to you.

Link to Article mentioned in 1st post
  • Reply 6 of 26
    the problems with dell is that they run windows... yea, you can run linux and unix and such... but does the average american know linux or unix? or does the average american know windows? ugh... windows... ill never go to windows again.... ugh.. no...
  • Reply 7 of 26
    Do the average american know Mac OS X?
  • Reply 8 of 26
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    I used to like the little Lexus coupe, but since it was introduced a few years ago, the style has gotten a bit dated. I Forget the model - maybe SC430.

As for the Dell. Whatever. I don't think it really competes with the Apple lineup, and everyone who shells out the dough to buy one certainly knows what else is out there. Anyway, the only people that buy the top-end are fanboys.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    Quote:

I don't think it really competes with the Apple lineup, and everyone who shells out the dough to buy one certainly knows what else is out there. Anyway, the only people that buy the top-end are fanboys.

The alienware PCs are also very expensive, and they don't compete with the macs really.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    Quote:

Do the average american know Mac OS X?

i think a 5yr old could use mac os x... i mean.. its soo easy.. and when you take screen shots it goes to the desktop... w/ windows take a screen shot and you have to open something to retrieve the picture....
  • Reply 11 of 26
    9secondko9secondko Posts: 929member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ragingloogie

i think a 5yr old could use mac os x... i mean.. its soo easy.. and when you take screen shots it goes to the desktop... w/ windows take a screen shot and you have to open something to retrieve the picture....

The average American did not know "Playstation" or "iPod" a few years ago. What people know is nothing. It is what gets them interested that matters.

In that case high end = Mac. Low end = Dell. Even with high end stuff, Dell is low end image.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ragingloogie

Oooh, it's so easy, when you take a screenshot it goes to the desktop, oooh. You got me convinced.

Oooooh.
  • Reply 13 of 26

I actually much more prefer the windows way of doing it. Its not that often I take screendumps and DON´T use them...
  • Reply 14 of 26
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

I actually much more prefer the windows way of doing it. Its not that often I take screendumps and DON´T use them...

Then use Shift-Option-Command-3 instead of the same command without the option. It'll save it to clipboard.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Then use Shift-Option-Command-3 instead of the same command without the option. It'll save it to clipboard.

Too confusing. I like the simplicity of Windows.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    I would think that the "Lexus" of computer software would run most of the software out there. Apple can't do that.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    zoranszorans Posts: 187member
    Quote:

Originally posted by skatman

I would think that the "Lexus" of computer software would run most of the software out there. Apple can't do that.

So YOUR Lexus has an accident and damages its front right quarter-panel. No problem my Ford has a spare....

... ohh wait, it doesn't fit.

Fsking Fool
  • Reply 18 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by 9secondko

In that case high end = Mac. Low end = Dell. Even with high end stuff, Dell is low end image.

yes yes... mac is high end and dell is low end. despite the fact that they might make a halfway decent comnputer... they still run windows and all that whatnot which brings them down; and theres no way i can see them being a high end computer. Im sorry but no...

Quote:

Originally posted by 9secondko

The average American did not know "Playstation" or "iPod" a few years ago. What people know is nothing. It is what gets them interested that matters.

Thats a good point.. no one knew ipod or PS and 2, or xbox.. now look at the generation of them all; ps3 and xobox 360 is coming out, and i think apple has 5 generations of ipod? yes, i believe thats correct as i reinsured my self checking the site.. So with all that said, no one knew all these thing or how they worked b/c they didnt know what they were and now they're the most popular systems and music players.

Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Oooh, it's so easy, when you take a screenshot it goes to the desktop, oooh. You got me convinced.

Oooooh.

want another example? ok... this doesnt apply to simplicity of anything; however, mac doesnt get viruses as where windows does... If some does w/ a mac, then must have tried really hard b/c no one who i know who uses mac including myself nver seen signs of a virus and we didnt bother buying virus protection. I can't same the same for windows... windows is just big ugh...

Quote:

Its not often i take screenshots either, however when i do and i go to send it to someone or whatever its easy to just drag it rather then opening in photoshop or something that in windows, save it or right click copy... then either load in the aim chat window or right click paste in that chat window.... w/ mac goes to desktop, and drag and if you want to save, tehn right click save image, no biggy...

so i guess its matter of opinion or ones definition of simple...
  • Reply 19 of 26
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Dell?

High end?

• Reply 20 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPoster

Dell?

High end?

i know, a big joke right??? i mean, ill give them the half credit of saying their a halfway decent to decent machine itself... if that... but no... not high end.. im sorry...