Apple confirms switch to Intel

Comments

• Reply 81 of 423
    krispiekrispie Posts: 260member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleRISC

....My time is worth something, too, but apparently the almighty Steve doesn't give a rat's ass....Who the hell's going to be supporting any software for PPC Macs 7 years from now? ...

(Some snips made in above quote)

If your time is worth much at all, you won't be using the same computer in 7 years, will you?

On another tack: The Intel "knock-off" minis that were shown last week - were these there to drop hints about Apple's move? Will they be the kit used in the Transition developers' machines?

if (IF) IBM deliver on the G5 development, is it possible that PPC and x86 will both be treated as 1st class Mac citizens? Say, have a PPC-based PowerMac range and Intel-based mobile/mini range?
  • Reply 82 of 423
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by inslider

Originally posted by shetline

Not at all. Weren't you aware that there's even a Windows version of VirtualPC? Why? Because there are some great advantages to being able to run one or more alternate virtual machines as separate simulataneous processes on one real machine, without needing to boot between one and the other. Windows users use VirtualPC to run different versions of Windows and/or Linux simulataneously.

I have a lot of mixed feelings about this x86 move, but VirtualPC isn't high among my concerns. In fact, VirtualPC should kick ass being able to run x86 code directly.

No, I wasn't aware of that! Thanks.

MS didn't buy VPC because it runs on the Mac, though that was a plus. It bought it for the virtualization capabilities of running more than one copy of MS's own server software on an unburdened server, usually one with several cpu's.

It no longer permits the running of Linux. That lasted until the first MS owned upgrade.
  • Reply 83 of 423
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Quote:

I wonder if I'll be able to run old Classic apps on an x86 Mac, with the x86 emulating a PPC emulating a 68040?

From the sound of it, we will. Which would be really funny. I remember loading up VPC 4 in Classic, running Windows 95, running a DOS shell, running an old MacOS 6 emulator, all in OS X on my iMac DV. Now, add Rosetta on top of that...
  • Reply 84 of 423
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    One has to wonder if Cocoa (or Yellow Box) for Windows is also lurking in Apple labs.
  • Reply 85 of 423
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tidris

The keynote is playing here:

http://stream.apple.akadns.net/

Damn that's good quality. Now if only someone could find away to actually download this historic keynote for posterity.
  • Reply 86 of 423
    Quote:

Originally posted by pnbarnes

Does anyone know if Apple will be posting the QT file of the keynote or if it is available anywhere else? I'd love to see it. Thanks!

http://stream.apple.akadns.net/

OOPS! Hadn't gotten this far in the thread yet.
  • Reply 87 of 423
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rhumgod

Not really. OpenFirmware is to a Mac what BIOS is to a PC.

Again, no Open Firmware on x86.
  • Reply 88 of 423
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kesh

From the sound of it, we will. Which would be really funny. I remember loading up VPC 4 in Classic, running Windows 95, running a DOS shell, running an old MacOS 6 emulator, all in OS X on my iMac DV. Now, add Rosetta on top of that...

That goes beyond fat binaries into practically obese binaries.
  • Reply 89 of 423
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rhumgod

No I think OpenFirmware will stay around, basically as the system IO for booting, etc. Beyond that, however, is how those hacking tools will affect the Rosetta emulator. That is the big concern I have. I have dealt with fucking spyware/malware/viruses at work for the past 5 years and it is a tough battle. I don't want to have to dick with that crap at home too.

Nope. No OF.
  • Reply 90 of 423
    drumsticksdrumsticks Posts: 315member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

In most cases...not at all. The actual binary code of most applications these days is a fairly small percentage of that 10MB example.

Sorry, I should clarify that I meant *download* size, not memory footprint, as that should remain largely unchanged. But if what you say is true, that the actual binary is a very small fraction, the other chunk taken up by graphic files, help files, etc, then it probably wouldn't grow all that much then. Just thinking of the 56k users
  • Reply 91 of 423
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I agree with some of the comments in the sense that its bad for Apple to be totally on one side or the other.

Since Apple will be a small customer for anyone who provides its CPU's, they should have more than one vendor.

Going down this path Apple will have to straddle Power and x86 for awhile, maybe becoming integrated into the platform may be a strength.

Use Power processor and x86 processors in machines where appropriate for that machine and its task.
  • Reply 92 of 423
    strobestrobe Posts: 369member
    I'm not keen on supporting another platform. That's one of the reasons some developers even bother with such a small market: its relatively easy to support.

Notice that there isn't a way to test x86 binaries on PowerPC hardware. That means I'll have to buy new hardware, and since it will be Apple hardware (not generic) it will be just as expensive.

And what happens when I have a x86 Mac and want to use a library written for PowerPC?
  • Reply 93 of 423
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    It's so easy - Intel showed Steve a Yonah prototype @ 2.5GHz and Steve decided to switch

Quote:

I wonder if I'll be able to run old Classic apps on an x86 Mac, with the x86 emulating a PPC emulating a 68040?

Did you never run a PPC Mac emulating a 68040 emulating an Aplle II 6502 running a programm on that build-in 16bit software cpu?
  • Reply 94 of 423
    neumacneumac Posts: 93member
    Two thoughts:

First, a great many folks are assuming that this was a choice; I suspect that it was not. IBM has had 4 years (development on the 970 started in 2001) to make a mobile processor for Apple and has been unable to do it. Similarly they have been unable to improve the desktop processor at anywhere near the rate they expected. Just conjecture, but my guess is that IBM decided that the R&D to redesign the PPC for Apple was not worth it, especially when they look to be selling a couple hundred million of the things to the gaming industry. Either that, or Apple couldn't foot the bill or wait for a redesign. After the G4 debacle Apple kept Marklar alive as a last ditch effort if the IBM deal went south, which it appears to have.

Second, although it seems insane for Apple to make this announcement a year before hardware is due, again they didn't have a choice. They need time for developers to make the necessary changes to OSX applications so that the transition, when it occurs will be as smooth as possible. If they had released developer kits without an announcement it would have been about 10 ms before the whole world knew anyway, so suck it up and let everyone know.

My take, Apple has played its hand as best it can with the cards its been dealt. Unfortunately, they're looking at Aces and Eights.
  • Reply 95 of 423
    mynameheremynamehere Posts: 560member
    HM...echoing some thoughts here...

What are the chances that we could see an APPLE computer that could also boot into windows or Linux?

Ideally, APPLEs would be able to boot windows, but other computer companies' computers wouldn't be able to boot into macOS...

your thoughts please.
  • Reply 96 of 423
    anklosauranklosaur Posts: 62member
    Sorry if this has been posted.

From Macintouch Report

Quote:

A News.com story quotes Apple marketing VP Phil Shiller about Mac/Windows interoperability on PCs:

Also on Monday, Jobs said the next version of OS X, called Leopard, will be released in late 2006 or early 2007, which he said was the same timeframe as Microsoft's next Windows update, dubbed Longhorn. Microsoft has said Longhorn will be released by late 2006. After Jobs' presentation, Apple Senior Vice President Phil Schiller addressed the issue of running Windows on Macs, saying there are no plans to sell or support Windows on an Intel-based Mac. "That doesn't preclude someone from running it on a Mac. They probably will," he said. "We won't do anything to preclude that."

However, Schiller said the company does not plan to let people run Mac OS X on other computer makers' hardware. "We will not allow running Mac OS X on anything other than an Apple Mac."

Long as my primary applications run, I don't know why anyone would care what happens.
  • Reply 97 of 423
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

Are we going to see Intel's "arms" getting pulled in both directions like a child in a custody battle? "We should have the faster chips first!" "No WE should!"

All vendors could get the chip at the same time
  • Reply 98 of 423
    thereubsterthereubster Posts: 402member
    Ummm Phil S already said that the x86 Macs will be able to run Windows. There is little reason why they wouldnt. However I expect Apple will be making every effort to ensure that OSX runs much faster on the same box than Win XP.
  • Reply 99 of 423
    tuttletuttle Posts: 301member
    Quote:

Originally posted by neumac

Two thoughts:

First, a great many folks are assuming that this was a choice; I suspect that it was not.

Yep.

Today's keynote is the public face of Apple's CPU trainwreck with Steve standing on the mess claiming we meant to do this...
  • Reply 100 of 423
    anklosauranklosaur Posts: 62member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tuttle

Yep.

Today's keynote is the public face of Apple's CPU trainwreck with Steve standing on the mess claiming we meant to do this...

Kinda like that cat that runs into the sliding glass door, then tries to casually walk away....

"I meant to do that!"