Is the switch to Intel Jobs' worst business decision of his life?

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 124
    macchinemacchine Posts: 295member
    Nice scenario but if it ain't complicated it ain't REALITY...

Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

I can see Apple trying to woo a switcher in 2007.

Apple-"Come over to Mac OS Leopard and get all these new whizzbang features!!" .

Switcher- "Great and I have a P4 3.8Ghz computer! How much is Leopard I want to install it today"

Apple- "uh sorry...Leopard won't run on your computer but we have a shiny new P4 4.2Ghz for you!"

Switcher- "but...they are the same platform. Why should I buy a new computer to run your OS on the same hardware?"

Apple- "Hey I gotta eat man"

Switcher- "Wow a $400 premium you must be eating filet mignon"

This stinks folks.

Its a little more like this, starting from where the above left off, next...

Switcher - "You know a buddy of mine bought a Mac, he said he could not handle all the problems with Windows anymore. But he NEEDED a new machine."

"He said it costs a little more but the box is really cool and he will use the Mac side for the web and mail and Windows for running apps."

"But then after using it a week he liked the Mac so much he just uses it for everything !"

Switchy - "I don't need a new machine but in a while I will, and I think I might get a Mac then !!!"

Now a possible twist is if Apple releases an old version of OS X that runs generically on Intel, that would be free or cheaper than Windows. Instead of the last line he says...

Switchy - "I loaded Mac OS X on my machine and have used it a little, its cool but I am not used to it yet."

Apple - "How is your Windows."

Switchy - "Its not running right now I have to do some maintenance on it before its up and running again. But I have OS X to play with for now so I will do that later."

"Besides I WILL have to do the same kind of maintenance on the Mac won't I ? I mean ALL OSs need work now and then don't they ?? My buddy says Macs are maintenance free, but that's just a white lie RIGHT ??? MAN, if it really was maintenance free they would have owned the world a LONG TIME AGO !!!"

A few months later...

Switched - "WOW !!! Macs are maintenance free, I just can't stand doing this cleanup job Microsoft should be doing for me !"

He goes out and buys the most EXPENSIVE Mac he can find, claiming that it will streamline his life so it a VERY important thing that he must do and the cost is a bargain.
  • Reply 122 of 124
  • Reply 123 of 124
    Quote:

Originally posted by MACchine

[BSwitched - "WOW !!! Macs are maintenance free, I just can't stand doing this cleanup job Microsoft should be doing for me !"

He goes out and buys the most EXPENSIVE Mac he can find, claiming that it will streamline his life so it a VERY important thing that he must do and the cost is a bargain. [/B]

Man, I wish that were really the case. In the world I live in however, he goes out and requests that his boss buy him a new Mac. The boss sees that PC are a bit cheaper, and orders him to get a mac.

Or he just buys what's cheaper at first. Apple has had a TCO advantage for a long time, but it doesn't seem to sway the market. All they see is initial price.
  • Reply 124 of 124
    Quote:

Originally posted by D.J. Adequate

Man, I wish that were really the case. In the world I live in however, he goes out and requests that his boss buy him a new Mac. The boss sees that PC are a bit cheaper, and orders him to get a PC ( It was too easy your way.)

Or he just buys what's cheaper at first. Apple has had a TCO advantage for a long time, but it doesn't seem to sway the market. All they see is initial price.

Or the company has a large budget for security and after researching Macs finds that they can save a bundle, so mandate that the entire company switch to Macs.

In the REAL WORLD, its complicated, BOTH scenarios occur mine and yours but because the Windows market is SOO BIG Apple gains HUGE market share and sales.

TCO has always had a small influence because Macs were nostandard, like comparing Apples and Lemons, now that they are stand they suddenly become visible.

This causes Apple to grow as a company, they now apply their engineering knowledge and big profits to reducing the cost of hardware, and they add artificial intelligence to the Mac OS X to make it self optimizing just before Longhorn ships, which turns out to be slow and buggy, requiring the more expensive hardware to run well.

APPLE BECOME THE STANDARD.

By now the economy in China has shifted towards consumer goods and computer sales has really picked up and Apple's growth appears to be without end and they appear to be headed to becoming the biggest company in the world ever.

They make the money in China Microsoft never made because Apple can adjust how closed and difficult to bootleg their systems is.

This does not pan out in the long run tough because the Chinese government works to ban products from the USA that are too popular in China.