What's all the fuss about?

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aurora

For consumers its about Gaming and Macs get Hammered. Apple benches have as much to do with Truth as Steve's B.S. on IBM the past few years. Its about the consumer folks and no one else. There isnt a G5 that can take on a P4 or AMD Athlon on 1 - 1 hence Apple using 2 cpu's for years. Remember all those powermacs in V.Tech have 2 Cpu's in them not one. They have twice the Qty of coarse they are faster in spinning atoms but its about the CONSUMERS not a few colleges trying to make the front page.

You are such a twat. Apple's benchmarks are scrupulously fair. G5's do beat P4's and Athlon's in many operations. That's not really the point since this move about relative performance (and COST) in two year's time and Apple have clearly bet on Intel.

You have serious character issues and I expect you shout a lot. Go away and shoot something.
  • Reply 42 of 53
    ryukyuryukyu Posts: 450member
    I hear from different boards and threads about Intel's speed with coming out with faster processors.

Isn't that ancient history?

How long has Intel been stuck at their current highend?

Ok, so they have the Pentium M chips that run cooler than a P4, but their performance is NOT significantly better than currently available Powerbook G4 offerings.

There has to be more to it than what they're saying.
  • Reply 43 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Wake the fuc up man

The average user is going to be able to see that a P4 Powermac is $3000 while the Dell with better specs is $1999.

The trick here is to get you all to pay a premium for the same hardware yet get less. Moving to Intel is going to benefit Apple but it doesn't do a damn thing for us.

Unless you truly believe a habitual liar like Steve jobs who'll tell you one minute that the sky is blue and then switch to telling you its red when it suits him.

Folks the lack of character you see in Apple is a direct reflection of its CEO.

I'm ashamed I really am.

I think that you are over-reacting just a little bit. Pricing is not even out for the new machines yet, and so you have no idea how much they will cost relative to a Dell. i am sure that they will be more expensive, but so is a Sony...
  • Reply 44 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by Iksnoo

This is the most bizarre day of my life. I have been using Macs and Apple machines since the very beginning. This link about performance says it all(and its lies)

http://www.apple.com/powermac/performance/

What about the G5 being the fastest processor for Mathematica or the VP of PIXAR stating on record that the G5 is THE fastest machine for renderman benchmark.

I feel like I just got kicked in the belly. P4 sucks is old and should die.

Iks

You guys are nuts. What was Apple supposed to do? Wait for IBM to come out with a 2.9 GHz PPC? I am sure that you were all excited to be stuck at 500 no wait, 450, ok 500MHz with motorola too. Those benchmarks are a year+ old, compared to year+ old Pentiums. If the IBM processor scaled as it should have, we would not be having this discussion.
  • Reply 45 of 53
    chungleechunglee Posts: 32member
    dj adequate,

you and i are in a 100% agreement. i'm only speaking as an interested consumer of apple products.

if i was going to give the benefit of the doubt, i would give it to steve jobs because i think he has earned it since he has come back. i would rather have a ceo being bold and trying to succeed then play it safe and whither.

apple has been a leader not a follower. motorola and ibm has lorded over apple but now apple has taken initiative for their own destiny whether they fail or succeed is really anyone's guess at this point.

chung
  • Reply 46 of 53
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    Quote:

Originally posted by vinney57

You are such a twat. Apple's benchmarks are scrupulously fair. G5's do beat P4's and Athlon's in many operations. That's not really the point since this move about relative performance (and COST) in two year's time and Apple have clearly bet on Intel.

You have serious character issues and I expect you shout a lot. Go away and shoot something.

You dont know what you are talking about, I have used Macs for 20 years go do some research. Apple has the costs of 2 Cpu's and liquid cooling vs 1 cpu and air cooling for the PC guys. Do the math or how about a Doom3 match and you can use the fastest Powermac on the planet and ill still smoke you with a old Athlon........Please. Its about the consumer. Consumer is King. Not Apple. 97% of the world has spoken and the ipod marketshare has awakened some boneheads at Apple bent on G4s stuck at 500mhz forever!!!!! Consumer is King and oh what a feeling.
  • Reply 47 of 53
    The latest turn of events -- today specifically -- reminds me of pretty much any Dallas episode, where Cliff Barnes (Apple) gets set up by JR (Intel) and the rest of the oil cartel (Moto/IBM) much to the delight of Westar (M$).

• Reply 48 of 53
    chungleechunglee Posts: 32member
    aurora,

i hope you are right, then apple will finally come out with a two button scroll

mouse.

they said apple will never come out with a cheap headless box.

they said apple will never run on intel.

they said apple will never produce a two button scroll mouse.

2 down one more to go.

chung

ps. at this point apple's insistence on a one button mouse is beyond ridiculous.
  • Reply 49 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by chunglee

aurora,

i hope you are right, then apple will finally come out with a two button scroll

mouse.

they said apple will never come out with a cheap headless box.

they said apple will never run on intel.

they said apple will never produce a two button scroll mouse.

2 down one more to go.

chung

ps. at this point apple's insistence on a one button mouse is beyond ridiculous.

Anyone who says marketshare doesnt matter has been listening to spin. This is good for Apple but they should have done this with the G4 fiasco. They got plenty of money so i think it will be just another transition , my 3rd.
  • Reply 50 of 53
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aurora

Do the math or how about a Doom3 match and you can use the fastest Powermac on the planet and ill still smoke you with a old Athlon........Please. Its about the consumer. Consumer is King. Not Apple. 97% of the world has spoken and the ipod marketshare has awakened some boneheads at Apple bent on G4s stuck at 500mhz forever!!!!! Consumer is King and oh what a feeling.

Read the link I gave you. The link shows the VA Tech system out-performs other X86 systems that have FASTER and MORE processors!! The most likley reason DOOM performs slower on the Mac is code optimization differences.

Apple is eff'd by this stupid decision today to go Intel.
  • Reply 51 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by sc_markt

Read the link I gave you. The link shows the VA Tech system out-performs other X86 systems that have FASTER and MORE processors!! The most likley reason DOOM performs slower on the Mac is code optimization differences.

Apple is eff'd by this stupid decision today to go Intel.

But the point you miss is the world is using PC software not Mac. Walk into any store. See any Mac? I bought 1 of my Macs in wal-mart decades ago.......Today the only mac in Walmart is in the Produce section.\ Marketshare matters. It boils down to that and if your supplier cant give you chips............Look they just intro'd the Imac 2.0 G5. They have been making that chip for over 2 years. Do you think Apple wanted Liquid Cooling on its new powermacs????Ever seen Apple release what is a old model?(MacMini) wife has one and its great but dont mention it in the same sentence as my Aurora. Consumer dictates the show not a company.
  • Reply 52 of 53
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alliancep.s.i

is the quicktime video not working for anyone else?

works for me.

I think this is the end of Classic!
  • Reply 53 of 53
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

But will it have the same price. That emachines procesor might cost more money. Apple will now have an "Apples to Apples" no pun intended, comparison with the eMachines in Best Buy.

They've basically lost any bargaining they had with PPC. They are now competing on a 1:1 ratio with PCs now. And knowing Apple they are stingy with configs.

But maybe this will force Apple to be less stingy. People will be able to compare specs more easily, and so I think Apple could be forced to only charge small premiums for OSX, looks, and branding. Maybe I am over-optimistic, but this could be good news.