Future Powerbook Logo

2

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 55
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Nak

    Forgive me, but is that powerbook reddish cause of heat issues?



    Why should it cause heat problems? They will use the Pentium M, the best mobile computing chip available onthe planet.

    cool, high performance per watt.

    Highly energy efficient.
  • Reply 22 of 55
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by punica888

    Why should it cause heat problems? They will use the Pentium M, the best mobile computing chip available onthe planet.

    cool, high performance per watt.

    Highly energy efficient.




    heh



    now that apple is going to use a pentiumM or a descendant of it, its now the best mobile computing chip available



    i'll just be dumping my powerBook in the trash tomorrow

    stupid piece of powerPC garbage
  • Reply 23 of 55
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    You don't have a PowerBook
  • Reply 24 of 55
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Gene Clean

    You don't have a PowerBook



    obviously
  • Reply 25 of 55
    inakainaka Posts: 29member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Placebo

    That's actually a very clever logo.



    Cheers, it took me about 1 min to whip up in Photoshop.
  • Reply 26 of 55
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Nak

    Forgive me, but is that powerbook reddish cause of heat issues?



    yeah and you'll notice the 're-entry tile' trackpad / ports!



    well my intel books took me TWO minutes in Photoshop, but Inaka, much simpler and well executed. nice. lil' scary but nice.:
  • Reply 27 of 55
    um, i may be missreading people's sarcasm, but perhaps this crazy logo is just a hoax. i dunno, i might be going out on a limb here.
  • Reply 28 of 55
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by MisticMayhem

    um, i may be missreading people's sarcasm, but perhaps this crazy logo is just a hoax. i dunno, i might be going out on a limb here.





    of course its a hoax mate. the one who posted it (Inaka) did it in photoshop for our entertainment (and disgust), it's a bit of a dark-comedy kinda thing.
  • Reply 29 of 55
    Quote:

    Originally posted by sunilraman



    of course its a hoax mate. the one who posted it (Inaka) did it in photoshop for our entertainment (and disgust), it's a bit of a dark-comedy kinda thing.




    i assumed this from the begining. i was being sarcastic. however, i was under the impression that most people in this thread thought it was for real.



    btw, why photoshop? i could have done this in MS Paint.
  • Reply 30 of 55
    mynameheremynamehere Posts: 560member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by MisticMayhem

    i assumed this from the begining. i was being sarcastic. however, i was under the impression that most people in this thread thought it was for real.



    btw, why photoshop? i could have done this in MS Paint.




    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that it was because this is an APPLE forum and that was MICROSOFT Paint...also Photoshop is pure awesomeness, and if you have it, why not use it?
  • Reply 31 of 55
    inakainaka Posts: 29member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by MisticMayhem

    i assumed this from the begining. i was being sarcastic. however, i was under the impression that most people in this thread thought it was for real.



    btw, why photoshop? i could have done this in MS Paint.




    Yeah, I know, it's like killing an ant with a sledgehammer. Then again, this sledgehammer works really well.
  • Reply 32 of 55
    alpha macalpha mac Posts: 463member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by waytogobuddy

    well to 'ad' to the fodder....



    a double page spread in The Economist we'll be seeing in while?







    NIce Job, love the lower 'e' thing you did there in the Inteligent Great.
  • Reply 33 of 55
    Quote:

    NIce Job, love the lower 'e' thing you did there in the Inteligent Great.



    Thanks! It was fun. Apple's going to have to work hard to spin..errr I mean 'frame' the whole transition...this was just one Idea I guess.
  • Reply 34 of 55
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by waytogobuddy

    Thanks! It was fun. Apple's going to have to work hard to spin..errr I mean 'frame' the whole transition...this was just one Idea I guess.



    well, since i haven't been getting any lately, i'm still firmly standing by my idea of the

    Mac g6 sextium
  • Reply 35 of 55
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Placebo

    That's actually a very clever logo.



    Looks like some people are still pissed about Apple moving to faster CPUs.




    They're not faster, yet, than the G5. It will also be interesting to see what the e600/700 can do, even though they'll probably never make it to a powerbook.



    Don't get me wrong, i'm excited about intel, but i also realize the reason why it's 2007 rather than 2005 is because Intel has a lot of work to do to get their stuff to not suck at FPU and SIMD.
  • Reply 36 of 55
    celcocelco Posts: 211member
    After reading this post I realised that I wasted 5mins. Well there's 5mins that Im never getting back. Nice logo... did you also get splashed in the eye when you came? FH has become like Iraq... a hellhole u just can get out of. Someone lock this post for everyone's sake.
  • Reply 37 of 55
    alpha macalpha mac Posts: 463member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by waytogobuddy

    Thanks! It was fun. Apple's going to have to work hard to spin..errr I mean 'frame' the whole transition...this was just one Idea I guess.



    If anyone can, its Apple
  • Reply 38 of 55
    pbpb Posts: 4,234member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by punica888

    Why should it cause heat problems? They will use the Pentium M, the best mobile computing chip available on the planet.

    cool, high performance per watt.

    Highly energy efficient.




    I think there is a big misconception about the Pentium M. People think it is a cool processor. It is energy efficient, yes, but not cool. Let me explain what I mean.



    If the P-M processor runs at its nominal speed, say 1.6 GHz, then it produces much more heat than a G4 at the same clock speed. So, how the P-Ms manage to stay cool? Quite simple: if almost nothing runs in the system (CPU usage below 5%), then the 1.6 GHz processor will scale down almost continuously to 36 MHz!! That's how. And you understand what this means for battery life. P-M laptops have great battery life not because the CPU uses less power when fully used, but because the CPU can drop its clock speed dynamically to very low levels under light or no use (e.g. when just reading some document). I saw this on my wife's Dell with special monitoring software and it is quite spectacular.



    As I said, despite this wonderful technology of scaling dymamically the clock frequency accoding to the system load, I find the P-M processor rather hot. Less hot of course than a P4 (I don't know how it compares to the G5, I would say less hot too), but definitely more hot than an equally clocked G4.



    Let me tell you this, taking as example the Dell of my wife: I cannot keep this computer on my lap to watch a DVD. Because after 15 min it starts to burn. And this is with 30-35% CPU usage. Keep in mind that this laptop is a thick one (4 cm or 1.6", comparable to the 17" iMac thickness) and it is plastic. All this make me think that today's high clocked P-Ms are completely inappropriate for the slim and metal Powerbook enclosure. And whatever improvements Intel is able to do, I seriously doubt that the Intel Powerbook will be metal. It's going to burn you if so.



    For all of you hoping for high performance and cool Powerbooks after the switch to Intel processors, keep in mind that high performance (and the P-M is a high performance CPU) comes at a price: HEAT. The energy consumption efficiency of the P-M is for the moment the only measure to alleviate this problem and only when the system is not stressed.



    PS: alright, who will fix now the images that screwed the page layout in this discussion?
  • Reply 39 of 55
    Quote:

    Originally posted by PB

    I think there is a big misconception about the Pentium M. People think it is a cool processor. It is energy efficient, yes, but not cool. Let me explain what I mean.



    If the P-M processor runs at its nominal speed, say 1.6 GHz, then it produces much more heat than a G4 at the same clock speed. So, how the P-Ms manage to stay cool? Quite simple: if almost nothing runs in the system (CPU usage below 5%), then the 1.6 GHz processor will scale down almost continuously to 36 MHz!! That's how. And you understand what this means for battery life. P-M laptops have great battery life not because the CPU uses less power when fully used, but because the CPU can drop its clock speed dynamically to very low levels under light or no use (e.g. when just reading some document). I saw this on my wife's Dell with special monitoring software and it is quite spectacular.



    As I said, despite this wonderful technology of scaling dymamically the clock frequency accoding to the system load, I find the P-M processor rather hot. Less hot of course than a P4 (I don't know how it compares to the G5, I would say less hot too), but definitely more hot than an equally clocked G4.



    Let me tell you this, taking as example the Dell of my wife: I cannot keep this computer on my lap to watch a DVD. Because after 15 min it starts to burn. And this is with 30-35% CPU usage. Keep in mind that this laptop is a thick one (4 cm or 1.6", comparable to the 17" iMac thickness) and it is plastic. All this make me think that today's high clocked P-Ms are completely inappropriate for the slim and metal Powerbook enclosure. And whatever improvements Intel is able to do, I seriously doubt that the Intel Powerbook will be metal. It's going to burn you if so.



    For all of you hoping for high performance and cool Powerbooks after the switch to Intel processors, keep in mind that high performance (and the P-M is a high performance CPU) comes at a price: HEAT. The energy consumption efficiency of the P-M is for the moment the only measure to alleviate this problem and only when the system is not stressed.



    PS: alright, who will fix now the images that screwed the page layout in this discussion?








    i think it's the next generation of the Pentium M Apple was looking at, namely Yonah. i also suspect Apple is going to have to accept the need for a cooling fan. Intel may have better ideas for mainboards that Apple will ulilize that will give the Mactels a unique hardware signature as compared to PCs. Apple needs those dual cores too. with energy efficient DC chips in all their offerings OsX is gonna work real nice.
  • Reply 40 of 55
    storerstorer Posts: 12member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by waytogobuddy

    well to 'ad' to the fodder....



    a double page spread in The Economist we'll be seeing in while?

    IMAGE McCHOPPED





    No, we won't see that. Intelligent is spelt wrong.
Sign In or Register to comment.