Hands on with the Intel p4 & OS X (merged)

12345679»

Comments

• Reply 161 of 174
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Thereby proving yet again that people are stupid.
  • Reply 162 of 174
    ic1maleic1male Posts: 121member
    Don't forget that most of us on here are generally advanced computer users. For a start, Joe Bloggs out there on the street typically does not know how to install Windows. As soon as they see that blue text setup screen, they are lost. Create a partition? What? Format FAT32 or NTFS? What?

Even people who are above average and can install Windows cannot then complete the installation of specific drivers for chipset, sound, modem, etc. unless they get help.

All off-the-shelf PCs come with an OEM install disc which does all this for you. As Apple are not likely to do this then I think the realm of dual-booting Windows and OS X will be a very uncommon one when you look at the big picture of all the users out there.
  • Reply 163 of 174
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    I just got notice this morning that my Dev Kit is on it's way.

Can't wait to get it!

• Reply 164 of 174
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by spooky

I can just see my IT director (the guy in charge of buying and running all computers in the largest education institution in my country - and a mac hater) rubbing his hands in glee.

he'll argue that macs are now just glorified over expensive PCs and as such we should only consider wintel machines in future. I can see a lot of IT boneheads taking this line. personally I think mactels spell the end of the mac platform at my instituion.

I'm really depressed

Only smart bean counters will go with Macs, unless Apple really starts marketing them towards business and has a killer value proposition.
  • Reply 165 of 174
    With all the major Windows security issues out there, imagine a major utility

depending on an upcoming multi-million dollar upgrade from Windows 98, NT and 2000 Pro to Windows XP and 2003 Server.

Then imagine how all the customers they serve will feel when some determined hacker breaks into their system causing a major power grid failure.

All the billions spent to secure corporate America's IT systems won't mean diddly squat if they lose power for a few days.

" But our company has a back up generator! "

Great, but the gas stations won't have any power either.

We're in for a real tough fight because so many highly paid IT administrators

depend on their Microsoft certification for their livelihood.

As long as their company needs someone to babysit Windows, they have a job.

Ignorance is bliss
  • Reply 166 of 174
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    yawn...

Nothing truly important runs on Windows. Just because end-users at your typical company use windows doesn't mean our important servers are..

In the US powergrids are on solaris, fyi.

Quote:

Originally posted by FallenFromTheTree

With all the major Windows security issues out there, imagine a major utility

depending on an upcoming multi-million dollar upgrade from Windows 98, NT and 2000 Pro to Windows XP and 2003 Server.

Then imagine how all the customers they serve will feel when some determined hacker breaks into their system causing a major power grid failure.

All the billions spent to secure corporate America's IT systems won't mean diddly squat if they lose power for a few days.

" But our company has a back up generator! "

Great, but the gas stations won't have any power either.

We're in for a real tough fight because so many highly paid IT administrators

depend on their Microsoft certification for their livelihood.

As long as their company needs someone to babysit Windows, they have a job.

Ignorance is bliss

• Reply 167 of 174
    All the front line supervisors including those who control switching operations

use Wintel laptops.

The substation control bunkers usually have some ancient p/c sitting there.

Office systems are run on Windows 2000 and they're currently switching to 2003.

The major vulnerability occurs when a supervisor connects to the network with

an infected p/c.
  • Reply 168 of 174
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:

Originally posted by webmail

yawn...

Nothing truly important runs on Windows. Just because end-users at your typical company use windows doesn't mean our important servers are..

In the US powergrids are on solaris, fyi.

Chilluns! Thar be an example of the state called de-nile.
  • Reply 169 of 174
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hiro

Chilluns! Thar be an example of the state called de-nile.

Yeah, Windows security issues would never, you know, cause blackouts.

http://www.tunexp.com/news/windows-story-145.html

Well, except when they do.

Current and former energy industry executives, as well as the former Bush administration security adviser, told Computerworld on condition of anonymity that the January outbreak of the Slammer worm affected the real-time control environment of "several" utility companies around the country.
  • Reply 170 of 174
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

Steve said in the Keynote that they are along a far way, but not quite done. I imagine most of all, more thorough testing is needed, something apple labs can't do completely.

I doubt we will see any Mactel's with Tiger installed. Tiger may be just about done, but there is little point in releasing an Intel Powered Mac at this stage, what can you run on it; very little. Some developers have in house Fat Binary versions but none are released. Apple is going to wait for two things to happen before the actuall transition.

1. For the MAJOR developers to all tell him they are ready to go with Fat Binary versions of their software. Quark, Adobe, Macromedia & Microsoft for instance.

2. For overall performance to be better than their PPC counterparts, so Intel may need to catch up in some areas. The G5 may be hot but it out guns the P4 in many important areas, the switch is going to mean there are swings and roundabouts, overall it must be an improvement before the switch otherwise he will be slaughtered.
  • Reply 171 of 174
    Good analysis, except for one clash: Intel based Macs scheduled for next spring, while Leopard isn't scheduled for another 6-8 months after that.

We'll see Intel based Macs with Tiger unless one of those two changes.
  • Reply 172 of 174
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by D.J. Adequate

Current and former energy industry executives, as well as the former Bush administration security adviser, told Computerworld on condition of anonymity that the January outbreak of the Slammer worm affected the real-time control environment of "several" utility companies around the country.

I know of at least one major water plant that lost control completely for nigh on a week. Only supplies the drinking water for 4 million odd people.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kickaha

[B]Good analysis, except for one clash: Intel based Macs scheduled for next spring, while Leopard isn't scheduled for another 6-8 months after that.

Windows computers are used for tons of control stations.
  • Reply 173 of 174
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Telomar

[B]I know of at least one major water plant that lost control completely for nigh on a week. Only supplies the drinking water for 4 million odd people.

Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Good analysis, except for one clash: Intel based Macs scheduled for next spring, while Leopard isn't scheduled for another 6-8 months after that.

Windows computers are used for tons of control stations.

I'm sorry, but I was responding to Addison's assertion that we won't see Intel/Tiger Macs. I don't see what this has to do with control stations.
  • Reply 174 of 174
    Quote:

Originally posted by Addison

2. For overall performance to be better than their PPC counterparts, so Intel may need to catch up in some areas. The G5 may be hot but it out guns the P4 in many important areas, the switch is going to mean there are swings and roundabouts, overall it must be an improvement before the switch otherwise he will be slaughtered. [/B]

This is no doubt part of the cause for consumer/laptop systems being transitioned first. Getting Yonah to outperform G4s will be conciderably easier than the G5 towers?which will undoubtedly get Merom CPUs designed by Intel for desktop workstations, not laptops/low power/consumer devices.

I guaran-f$ing-T that the dual core Yonah will be much more potent than anything from the Freescale camp at time of release.