VPC 5

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 22
    [quote]I still don't think OS X is ready for prime time. Maybe its got too much glitz (transparency, etc).<hr></blockquote>

Ah the knee-jerk Aqua response to application speed. There may be some speed problems with OSx, like programmers getting used to using different APIs and different calls for things they may have done before, as well as unoptimized frameworks, but perhaps in your infinite wisdom you can explain how glitz is slowing down a virtual machine.

before someone says it I will: %@&$wipe
  • Reply 22 of 22
    x704x704 Posts: 276member
    [quote]Originally posted by cowerd:

<strong>

Ah the knee-jerk Aqua response to application speed. There may be some speed problems with OSx, like programmers getting used to using different APIs and different calls for things they may have done before, as well as unoptimized frameworks, but perhaps in your infinite wisdom you can explain how glitz is slowing down a virtual machine.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Exactly!

sc_markt why is VPC 4 "2x" faster then VPC 3 was? Was it glitz? No it was simply better programming. OS X is a whole new beast to programers. Obviously they're in a learning process & I'm sure that much of the speed problem with VPC in OS X is because of it's programming.

As cowerd mentioned to, Apple is continueing to optimize the new OS & this will improve. I don't see how transparency has anything to do with how fast VPC emulates things (assuming your not resizing your windows constantly while using VPC). No, Aqua is not to blame for the terribly poor performance VPC has in OS X. Hopefully Connectix will be able to considerably speed it up with a 5.1 update or something (perhpas 10.2, wherever it comes out, will also help).