Margaritas

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    Grab a Jimmy Buffet Boxed set, "Beaches Ballads, Bars, etc, look in the booklet, and get his recipe for the "perfect margarita". It's rocket fuel to be handled carfully, but it's probably the very best.

Also, the old-style Mexican -- not the heretical Tex-Mex -- of just the Tequila, lime, salt, ice, and Cointreau, is not bad either.
  • Reply 22 of 44
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Makes me want a marg. I think I only have good tequila though, and it might not be margworthy.

Going to investigate my bar...

Edit: Fixed spelling, and I wasn't even drunk at the time!
  • Reply 23 of 44
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    See, I have a special glass for drinking them. It *looks* like a regular hi-ball, but it's actually got a very good representation of a bourbon and coke painted around it. It also has "Official Glass of Bourbon and Coke of NASCAR and the Ultimate Fighting Competition" written on it, too. On the bottom, there's an NRA logo.

It's great for drinking Margs. without looking like a wussy man.
  • Reply 24 of 44
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

I sooooo want a frozen drink right now.

But the painkillers I'm on do NOT go well with alcohol.

They just tell you that to keep you from becoming helplessly addicted to painkillers and booze, which is a truly remarkable high right up to the point it kills you. I frequently marvel at how I managed to survive my more, uh, spirited years.
  • Reply 25 of 44
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    kiss my ass biatches...!

i love my:

vodka ... mmm skyy, chopin,

daquiris

margaritas

cosmopolitans

if i 'have' to drink beer maybe it would be Kirin, Stella Artois, MGD is cool but if I am in the US i'll have a cosmopolitan... or margarita (martini glass, salted, rimjob... oh wait wtf??!!)

and i survived living in Queensland, Australia for 4 years mate..! where if you are a man you drink XXXX (fourex beer) otherwise you're a poof **

**australians (queenslanders or those from other states) can explain this sentence but y'all probably get the drift...

straight men that love cocktails, let's fight for our rights!
  • Reply 26 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

Oh man, they have the best chicken chimi's on the planet. God I miss Austin.

damn i could go for some nice beef fajitas right now...

carnitas...

molé pollo... (chocolate sauce chicken!!!)

guacamole...

ceviché...

mmmmm

wash it down with some jose cuervo 1800 - frozen margarita -

fresh limes

warm corn tortillas

chunky spicy salsa

fucking sweet mate

i am far far away from southwestern united states though or mexico for that matter
  • Reply 27 of 44
    hardheadhardhead Posts: 644member
    sunilraman, I'm curious. No Mexican (of any regional style) restaurants or bars down under that serve good Margaritas. Again, any of the varieties of Margaritas.
  • Reply 28 of 44
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

They just tell you that to keep you from becoming helplessly addicted to painkillers and booze, which is a truly remarkable high right up to the point it kills you. I frequently marvel at how I managed to survive my more, uh, spirited years.

For some reason, the particular painkiller I'm on doesn't mix well with alcohol. Either that, or that some effect of alcohol increases the pain in my wrist. But I'm for sure going to make myself some mega-girly frozen drinks after the surgery, and sit on the beach. . .
  • Reply 29 of 44
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Margaritas are ok. But i'll stick to my Single Malt Scotchs thank you.
  • Reply 30 of 44
    liquidrliquidr Posts: 884member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AquaMac

Margaritas are ok. But i'll stick to my Single Malt Scotchs thank you.

what he said
  • Reply 31 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by hardhead

sunilraman, I'm curious. No Mexican (of any regional style) restaurants or bars down under that serve good Margaritas. Again, any of the varieties of Margaritas.

um... yeah... vodkas, cosmopolitans, daquiris, all available in australia, but not really any margaritas.... so... the margaritas and mexican food i am referring to are those consumed during the good times in san francisco 2000-2002 when i was working there.

i'm actually rather confused culturally (you'll get that impression from my posts) 'coz i've lived in like 5 different cities in the past 10 years.

edit: actually there are 1 or 2 decent (somewhat 'passable' by californian standards ) mexican restaurants in Sydney where you can get a margarita. i think i've had it once in Sydney.
  • Reply 32 of 44
    The big question re Margarita's is not really are they manly or not (taste too good to be a relevant question).

No, the real question is how does one actually make one? What are the correct proportion of tequila to triple sec? If you use Cointreau does it count? And how much lime?

Salt, rocks v crushed rocks, straws - they are the icing.

So please, who'll volunteer up their perfect Margarita mix? I'll plump for 2:1 Tequila to Triple Sec with the juice of a lime quarter. Shake with ice, serve with crushed ice, a salted rim and another quarter lime for garnish.

Cheers,

David
  • Reply 33 of 44
    hardheadhardhead Posts: 644member
    OK iD., I'll bite, err, drink?

First of all, use GOOD Tequila. At the very least something on the order of Hornitos. If good friends are coming over, I usually use Herradura, just my taste preference.

On to the recipe. Yes, it's "toned" down compared to many other recipe's. Folks are always going to want 2 or 3 servings.

1 oz. Tequila, 3/4 oz. Cointreau, half a lime and half a lemon (the juice of course), SHAKE with semi-crushed ice, serve up in a Salt rimmed chilled glass. UMM good. (Almost forgot to add...) Pre-mixed sweet and sour. About 2 oz. This is for "per serving".

Now, some folks prefer Triple Sec over Cointreau. Makes a good Margarita. I just think that Cointreau gives it the right zing.
  • Reply 34 of 44
    Top cocktail. true test of a barman's talent.

and lots of them get it wrong (not that I'm not particularly good at making them myself)

too much lime = too sharp

too much tequila = odd

too much cheap tequila = nasty

crushed ice = margarita for girls (completely agree with 709)

no salt = margarita for people who shoud be drinking a fruit-based drink (completely disagree with 709)

One Eyed Jacks in Newcastle - excellent margarita action

Many bars in London - rubbish

odd
  • Reply 35 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by brandnewfatboy

Top cocktail. true test of a barman's talent.

and lots of them get it wrong (not that I'm not particularly good at making them myself)

too much lime = too sharp

too much tequila = odd

too much cheap tequila = nasty

crushed ice = margarita for girls (completely agree with 709)

no salt = margarita for people who shoud be drinking a fruit-based drink (completely disagree with 709)

One Eyed Jacks in Newcastle - excellent margarita action

Many bars in London - rubbish

odd

agree with most points

except for the crushed ice ~ it's a bit toooo cold down the hatch, that's why i would go on the rocks

is it a faux pas to have a margarita that has no ice in it whatsoever? ala the way a cosmopolitan is chilled... i guess that's what you get with margarita in pitchers...

ahhh.. many a good time getting sloshed with friends over pitchers of margaritas and some chicken molé

too bad i can't remember most of the details

• Reply 36 of 44
    acr4acr4 Posts: 100member
    good tequila (I like reposado or anejo), contreau or gran marnier, and real fresh lime juice on the rocks with a little coarse salt makes a good margarita.

gold tequila, triple sec, margarita mix and table salt equals crap.

top shelf or bust.
  • Reply 37 of 44
    Mojitos - favourite summer cocktail at the moment.

Plenty of ice and rum, and a load of mint. and probably some other stuff that bartenders tend to put in but i haven't identified as yet.

most refreshing.
  • Reply 38 of 44
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    One time when I was 17, me and my friend finished a 1.75 Liter jug of tequila in the form of margaritas.

We both vomited for hours the next morning. I was so dehydrated and loaded, the salt actually collected at the bottom of my stomach and I got a mouthful of it with all my dry heaves.

It was so upsetting I couldn't even hold water down, I'd drink like a liter and it'd come up 5 minutes later. My stomach felt like I'd done like 300 situps.

Now I drink nothing but whiskey and scotch whiskey.

I like stories.
  • Reply 39 of 44
    bentonbenton Posts: 161member
    Margaritas at the Margaritaville in the Conch Republic don't get any better!

8)
  • Reply 40 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by brandnewfatboy

Mojitos - favourite summer cocktail at the moment.

Plenty of ice and rum, and a load of mint. and probably some other stuff that bartenders tend to put in but i haven't identified as yet.

most refreshing.

nice fresh mint in mojitos is the bomb.