Suggestions for Leopard features?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
1. How about integrated VOIP/address book/iChat/phone/fax/answering machine functions?

See http://www.parliant.com/phonevalet/ and http://www.skype.com/

2. How about a major upgrade to iCal, beginning with the ability to share calendars over a network without .Mac?

3. How about OS features to integrate TiVo/Elgato-like functions?

See http://www.elgato.com/

4. How about an improved iWorks, to eliminate AppleWorks, that includes spreadsheet and database programs?

Other suggestions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 80
    karl kuehnkarl kuehn Posts: 756member
    2. Lookup CalDAV. Once that becomes a reality, then iCal can be updated to support it. And I anticipate both to become available much in advance of 10.5.

3. Why is this an OS thing? Why not just look to the projects that are working this as an application?

4. What does that have to do with an OS again? Why do you want to wait until the end of 2006 for that?

Now for real OS level things:
    • A UnionFS like behavior built into the stackable file system (nice for sys-admins).

• better settings to allow/modify the Network Home Sync feature (OpenDirectory stuff)

• meaningful implementation of resolution independence (we already know this is coming, so this is a given)

• Expansion of CoreData to allow for networked apps (this could well happen from a third party

• a CoreClustering framework to handle cluster communication (shared variables/data, etc)

• ActiveDirectory group policy (just some parts)

• overhaul of the preferences system to allow for better network login bahavior

• Reply 2 of 80
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Not exactly on topic, please forgive, but just in case it's useful, for #2, even though it's not over a local network, http://www.icalshare.com/ allows you to share calendars w/o .mac. FWIW.

--B
  • Reply 3 of 80
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Integrate Finder Search and Spotlight Search/Spotlight Results Window. PLEASE.
  • Reply 4 of 80
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Windowshades!
  • Reply 5 of 80
    Here's a feature suggestion for the academics in the house:

Built-in LaTeX support right from the OS install CD as an optional install.

Granted, a Google search reveals plenty of websites that try to simplify the process of TeX installation. Still, it can be a bit confusing/daunting for the average user, esp. since there are so many options (which TeX distribution? which fonts? which editors and viewers?).

Apple could greatly simplify this process, esp. if they created a high-quality split-pane-view LaTeX editor (code and WYSIWYG) that could output nicely typeset PDFs or MathML documents, esp. since MathML support is planned for a future rev of Safari.

As long as they don't name it iTeX, of course.
  • Reply 6 of 80
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    proper &@#%!$@ personal netwrking (i.e. select ANY folder, right click, "Share This Folder...", done)

ability to have any user to access to whatever certain folder files you want (like OS 9) and not just either have Admin or Dump Folder.
  • Reply 7 of 80
    karl kuehnkarl kuehn Posts: 756member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

proper &@#%!$@ personal netwrking (i.e. select ANY folder, right click, "Share This Folder...", done)

ability to have any user to access to whatever certain folder files you want (like OS 9) and not just either have Admin or Dump Folder.

a) this is not networking... this is filesharing. Many people are confused by this, most of them confused by Microsoft's poor choice of names.

b) You can already do this with SharePoints. Apple's method works out very well for people who would never discover things for themselves. You are just used to Window's way of doing things.
  • Reply 8 of 80
    thttht Posts: 5,443member
    1. Full Yahoo and MSN IM compatibility in iChat (or have the apps themselves be updated). Full meaning voice and video. This is probably what hurts the most for my family's usage, and really prevents a full switchover.

2. A multi-view window. Ivan from CreativeBits has a Webkit browser that sort of shows what I'm thinking about. Except, instead of browser views, I'd like to be about put any app's windows in it, such as Office windows, text files, PDF, images, email, webpages, etc. This saves me nasty clicks and window management when I need to read from window and write into another window.

3. A real NEXTSTEP shelf for Finder windows.

4. Full MS Exchange Server compatibility.

5. Full MS Office file compatibility for iWorks + new supersecret spreadsheet. (Not Leapard related, but hey.)

6. Further Dock refinements.

The radical ideas that'll take a long time to do:

1. Extensive pointing device, be it mouse, trackpad, etc, feedback interface. The pointer and or UI elements it hovers over should provide visual feedback. There's a bit now. Let's make it truly extensive.

2. Get rid of the MenuBar and use Pie menus and ScreenEdge applications. ScreenEdge applications are just applications they live on the edges of screen, like the Apple Menu, LaunchBar, the Dock, Menu-lets, etc. Pie menus are, well, Pie menus. I'm sure Apple can make a nice implementation. Their semi-transparent palette implementation looks real cool and something like that for Pie menus would be interesting at least.

3. Dashboard Widget style UI. For some reason, I think the style of the UI elements - scroll bars, windows, et al - could be further refined. Not necessarily Dashboard widget style, but an evolution of the visual style of the interface elements.
  • Reply 9 of 80
    Yes ZO makes a good point! I thought I was just retarded. I still don't get how MacOS X sharing works!? It was far more intuitive in Classic. Can we only share what's in our Public folder? And if it's Public, what the hell are the permissions on it!? Also, can I share stuff outside the Public folder if I put an alias to it in there? Or will that not work? Idiotic.

OK with this whole iChat thing, along with adding protocols, they should make it work with AIM. Either AOL is not talking to Apple or Apple is lazy. I mean, it can't do Profiles. Even MORE importantly, the stupid thing can not have more than one user!. I mean sure it can use more than one screen name, and you can use Switch To... and set up multiple names, but it still calls it my name on the top of the buddy list, first of all. Second of all, it's so clunky, having to go in to Preferences to change who is logging on. It's so simple. Duh. Make a Log In window when it starts up, like AIM X, and, well, every other instant messenger application. That, and tabs. And a way to adjust the style of view of conversation, like in adium. I'm getting sick of the comic bubbles.
  • Reply 10 of 80
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Calendar and Address Book sharing, like that found in iTunes and iPhoto.

Even more integrated inline spell checking.
  • Reply 11 of 80
    feraliferali Posts: 175member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

[B]

OK with this whole iChat thing, along with adding protocols, they should make it work with AIM. Either AOL is not talking to Apple or Apple is lazy. I mean, it can't do Profiles. Even MORE importantly, the stupid thing can not have more than one user! I mean sure it can use more than one screen name, and you can use Switch To... and set up multiple names, but it still calls it my name on the top of the buddy list, first of all. Second of all, it's so clunky, having to go in to Preferences to change who is logging on. It's so simple. Duh. Make a Log In window when it starts up, like AIM X, and, well, every other instant messenger application. That, and tabs. And a way to adjust the style of view of conversation, like in adium. I'm getting sick of the comic bubbles.

in tiger you can view profiles, and if you click your name at the top it switches between your name and your screen name. and i dont think its that much of an inconvienence to type in a new screen name and password once. because its saved and then you can switch directly from the main menu. and you can change your view style, in the veiw menu it says 'show as text'

i agree tho, it needs tabs.

and really.. why is this thread started now?.. how bout we wait about 10 months or so.
  • Reply 12 of 80
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    working FTP in the finder

actually we should have sftp in the finder
  • Reply 13 of 80
    Tabs in Finder. PLEASE!!!
  • Reply 14 of 80
    An optional preference view to display F9 Exposé like this:

Less usable indeed, but cool
  • Reply 15 of 80
    danosaurdanosaur Posts: 258member
    I second the WindowShade idea.
  • Reply 16 of 80
    Hehe that was a joke. Before Exposé, I seriously wanted WindowShades because the Dock didn't, and still doesn't, cut the mustard. It needs a lot of improvement, yet hasn't changed at all since, really, 10.0. However Exposé is a replacement. With a small screen, it's still not quite as good, because WindowShades of course take up a lot less space, and things can get crammed with a lot of windows on my little PB G4 12". That 3D Exposé could be a solution!

That 3D version Exposé is very cool!!! And functional! They should sooo add that in for Quartz Extremers, it's at least sweet looking.

Anyhow, WindowShades is still a cool idea and WindowShades X implements it very well. I'd use it, and Themes, but APE I am just afraid of superstitiously. It seems to cause crashes. Not cool. Hopefully they'll figure that out someday. Themes and WindowShades (And Fruitmenu) are cool.

It seems they are adding SoundSets back in, like in OS 9 and Xounds. Tiger likes to make a lot more sounds while doing stuff. I like that. Keep going on the route. Of course, with the option of turning it off. Is there a way to turn off those sounds in Tiger?

Hmm Tabs in the Finder window, I like it. At least as an option. Tabs should be an option everywhere. Some people love them, some hate them. I love them, most of the time. Hey it's just a different way of doing things, and that's what the Mac is all aobut.
  • Reply 17 of 80
    onyx-pbonyx-pb Posts: 26member
    A couple of ideas that have been floating around for a while:

1. A 'stack' of files (folders) there's a nice flash demo here http://homepage.mac.com/rdas7/stacks.html

I'd have to live with these a while before I will be convinced they are just eye candy (I'm just about getting used to the dock!).

2. A rubbish/waste bin thats NOT in the dock.

Triggered via one of the two bottom corner, options for auto-hide / magnification blah blah blah - a bit like dock options. Take a look around www.asktog.com for some more ideas.

3. A M$-Windows compatability mode?

- Windows can be resized from any edge

- Alt-F4 closes window etc

- Ctrl-C as well as Apple-C for copy etc.

You get the idea, just a few token gestures to help our new found friends upgrade from XP to the next generation of Intel based operating systems. Apple could even throw in a Blue Screen of Death screen saver!

4. Some more useless water (aqua) themed transitions for:

Opening / closing windows, dropping dashboard widgets, how about moving the mouse causes a wake to ripple over your screen? A Freeze/Thaw transition?
  • Reply 18 of 80
    onyx-pbonyx-pb Posts: 26member
    Almost forgot...

Move the option to set the default browser OUT of Safari preferences and put it in System Preferences!

and What's WindowShades?
  • Reply 19 of 80
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Y'all forgot the most important feature: Snappier?
  • Reply 20 of 80
    spyderspyder Posts: 170member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onyx-pb

Almost forgot...

Move the option to set the default browser OUT of Safari preferences and put it in System Preferences!

and What's WindowShades?

Back in OS9 you could double click on the titlebar, and the entire window EXCEPT for the title bar would disappear/collapse. It was pretty useful.