Focused Realistic(?) Wishlist for New iBooks

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

Pure speculation of course, but it's just that Apple needs compelling product offerings during this transition. .........[crappy ass upgrades].... may not be enough to get people to open their wallets.

yup, basically steve's got quite a few aces up his sleeves, and like the drooling, salivating dogs we are, we can smell the steaks in his pockets

or to try another analogy

the reason Apoder and me, for example, are so hyped up is that the blood is in the water and like sharks we're circling ever closer... just waiting for nice juicy flesh to fall off the boat.. anytime soon...

never underestimate the appeal of the hunt
  • Reply 42 of 53
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dr. J

Mini-DVI would be nice, however I guarentee that they stick us with the video out port that you have to buy that dumb VGA adapter for. That or Apple's next big announced iBooks will look suspiciously like powerbooks with the 'power' scratched off and replaced with a sharpie printed 'i'.

If I may remind you, currently the iBook has a mini-VGA port and the VGA adapter is included in the package, not bought. The Powerbook has the mini-DVI port and includes both DVI and VGA adapters. All I'm asking for is that the iBook would have a mini-DVI port instead of mini-VGA, and mini-DVI to VGA adapter instead of mini-VGA to VGA. People could buy the DVI adapter if they like.
  • Reply 43 of 53
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    With the National Education Computing Conference only a week or so away, that is when I think we'll see a new round of iBooks. Keep your eyes on inventory (online Apple Store, macprices.com). The question is ? will iBooks get minor speed bumps or is a major redesign in offing?

On the one hand, I can't see Apple putting all of its R&D energy into a major redesign when they are going to be changing architectures (PPC > Intel). Yet, on the other hand they have to do something to keep sales of its PPC products moving until the switch to Intel is ready.

The iBook ? having gone this long without an update ? would seem to indicate (or even dictate) that a major revision is around the corner. At least that has been Apple M.O. in the past.

Apple has stuck with the current iBook form factor since May 1, 2001. The PowerBook was last updated on October 19, 2004. It is almost three months overdue from its very regular update cycle.

Regarding the next iBook, Apple really needs to address the iBook's display. In my opinion this is the biggest drawback of the current iBook G4. All of the major notebook manufacturers (HP, Dell, Sony, Toshiba) are offering brighter and wider displays in the iBook's consumer space and at its price point. Apple really needs a brighter and widescreen display, even if it cuts into the sales of the PowerBooks. This area is REALLY lacking.

Another bone to pick is the current plastics used in the iBooks. I work at a school where we have numerous current generation iBooks, and the area where the wrists rest gets dirty. It is very hard to clean. Also the letters on the keys are scraping off. We have iBooks that now have some blank keys.

The iBook needs a top to bottom house cleaning. So here's what needs to be done:

* Bright Widescreen display (at any size, but preferrably 14 or 15") with far better viewing angles

* Faster G4 processor

* Better GPU

* Better enclosure material & keyboard

* Offer SuperDrive on all models

They can keep the prices the same. I think if they did above they would be competative again.
  • Reply 44 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

With the National Education Computing Conference only a week or so away, that is when I think we'll see a new round of iBooks. Keep your eyes on inventory (online Apple Store, macprices.com). The question is ? will iBooks get minor speed bumps or is a major redesign in offing?

On the one hand, I can't see Apple putting all of its R&D energy into a major redesign when they are going to be changing architectures (PPC > Intel). Yet, on the other hand they have to do something to keep sales of its PPC products moving until the switch to Intel is ready.

The iBook ? having gone this long without an update ? would seem to indicate (or even dictate) that a major revision is around the corner. At least that has been Apple M.O. in the past.

Apple has stuck with the current iBook form factor since May 1, 2001. The PowerBook was last updated on October 19, 2004. It is almost three months overdue from its very regular update cycle.

Regarding the next iBook, Apple really needs to address the iBook's display. In my opinion this is the biggest drawback of the current iBook G4. All of the major notebook manufacturers (HP, Dell, Sony, Toshiba) are offering brighter and wider displays in the iBook's consumer space and at its price point. Apple really needs a brighter and widescreen display, even if it cuts into the sales of the PowerBooks. This area is REALLY lacking.

Another bone to pick is the current plastics used in the iBooks. I work at a school where we have numerous current generation iBooks, and the area where the wrists rest gets dirty. It is very hard to clean. Also the letters on the keys are scraping off. We have iBooks that now have some blank keys.

The iBook needs a top to bottom house cleaning. So here's what needs to be done:

* Bright Widescreen display (at any size, but preferrably 14 or 15") with far better viewing angles

* Faster G4 processor

* Better GPU

* Better enclosure material & keyboard

* Offer SuperDrive on all models

They can keep the prices the same. I think if they did above they would be competative again.

nice call especially re: displays
  • Reply 45 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by surfacenuts

I wish they'd come out with the update just to put the two of you (sunilraman) out of your misery. In the meantime, take cold showers. If you're not unaccustomed to doing drugs, I recommend one handful per day until the update. If you have a sex partner write them a little note requesting more "contact". Try fingerpainting. Do a fingerpainting of an iBook and post on here for my pleasure.

If none of that works, beat yourselves with baseball bats to knock yourselves out until the update. Better yet, have ME beat you, so that I'll be able to vent my frustration over the PB line.

And if none of that works, well, at least know that we had fun doing it.
  • Reply 46 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by mynamehere

If none of that works, beat yourselves with baseball bats to knock yourselves out until the update. Better yet, have ME beat you, so that I'll be able to vent my frustration over the PB line.

And if none of that works, well, at least know that we had fun doing it.

heh

a bit of S&M huh
  • Reply 47 of 53
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    I agree with everything DHagan4755 said above. My iBook has not held up very well and I've noticed the same thing with regard to the palmrests and keycaps. My letter A is long gone. Unfortunately I think Apple will be sticking with the current iBook form factor until the Intel transition. If they are still selling well they will do as little as possible. I expect new iBooks within the next two weeks with minor cosmetic changes, better graphics and maybe, just maybe, the 7448 chip. On the bright side the iBook (and Mac mini) will probably be the first to go Intel.
  • Reply 48 of 53
    on a less innuendo-filled note

i think a COMBO drive

powerbook 1.67 ghz g4 with 512mb ram and ATI 9700 128mb vram

5400rpm 80gb hard disk

15" wide 1280x854

offers some decent value there.

buy the above custom built, without the superdrive.

then upgrade as follows:

1. get a nice 1gb or 512mb stick from a reputable online site

if you want DVD burning,

2b. get a 5.25 inch fw400 enclosure

2c. get a 5.25 inch dual-layer DVD burner

if you want a portable backup system,

2a. get a 40gb or so portable FW800 drive eg. iPod

</rambling>

• Reply 49 of 53
    Quote:

i just spent an hour on the wrist area with a good eraser. also on my ipod mini clickwheel... phew i'm tired but its looking heaps better.

maybe this should be a task for kids that get detention
  • Reply 50 of 53
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Now that you mentioned the material trouble, half of the letter 'n' is missing from my iBook.. I don't usually pay attention to things like that, but it's rather poor from a six month old computer.

No dirt or smudge problems in handrest or keys otherwise.

Frankly I don't think a widescreen is a good idea in small displays. The 12" should stay 4:3, otherwise it's too small for any text document. In 14" or 15" widescreen is not bad. The 12" display quality is a real problem and needs to be addressed - I see even worse ones in cheaper laptops though.

Superdrive? By all means, if there is no longer a difference in price to the combo drive. Otherwise I'd prefer not to be forced to buy one.
  • Reply 51 of 53
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Well, if the 7448's are not going to be available until October (meaning they can't be in Powerbooks until December), Apple ought to upgrade the iBooks to the fastest 7447's available (1.5GHz in both sizes) and leave the Powerbooks alone. Then the next rev of the iBooks can be 7448's. My 12" iBook runs surprisingly warm, so the 7448 will be a welcome rev.

If they have a 14" widescreen 7448-based iBook with a brighter display, cooler running and longer battery life, and 5200go or 9600 mobility graphics, I will be severely tempted.
  • Reply 52 of 53
    fieldorfieldor Posts: 213member
    Quote:

We will see, but isn't it a coincidence that it falls on a tuesday. Think about that.
  • Reply 53 of 53
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fieldor

We will see, but isn't it a coincidence that it falls on a tuesday. Think about that.

It's my final hope. I'm in the market for an Apple laptop right now, and the iBook is what I want to get, but I don't want to get something that out of date.

Sadly I do need it for work, and although I can currently share a dual 2.3GHz machine with a 20" cinema display (mine 3 days of the week, perhaps some more) that will be awkward in the long run. Also the company has offered to pay for 20% of the price.

I just want a nice portable 12" iBook with 512MB RAM as standard and 64MB of VRAM. I'm not too bothered about processor speed, especially if it reduces battery life or increases laptop heat.

I have a theory that Apple won't want to release BOTH a new formfactor laptop AND a new architecture at the same time. There will be teething troubles with both, and I'm sure that Apple would rather get the new formfactor troubles out of the way, and then simply design the Intel based motherboard innards to fit the shell.

I'd rather have a smaller and faster hard drive than a larger and slower hard drive too.