Apple says goodbye to single processor PowerPC Power Macs

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I was just at the Apple online store checking on an order when I noticed that the low-end single 1.8GHz model is no longer being offered. They're all duals now.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    AppleInsiderAppleInsider Posts: 63,192administrator
    Apple Computer's online store sold today what may have been its last single processor PowerPC-based Power Mac.

After seeing ship times slip to 7 to 10 business days earlier this week, all mention of the 1.8GHz Power Mac G5 vanished from the company's online store by Wednesday morning.

According to reliable sources of information, the company actually declared an "end-of-life" to the 1.8GHz Power Mac in late April when it revamped its Power Mac G5 offerings to include dual processors ranging from 2.0 to 2.7GHz.

Over the last month and a half it's believed that Apple manufactured very few, if any, single processor Power Mac systems and instead moved product that was already present in its inventory.

The Power Mac product line has been a sore spot in Apple's product family as of late, largely in part to IBM's inability to produce G5 processors that meet or surpass the 3GHz barrier.

It's believed that during the last fiscal quarter Apple shipped about 130,000 Power Mac G5 units when Xserve numbers were deducted from the company's reported Power Mac mix -- a far cry from the 211,000 Power Mac systems the company shipped in the same quarter of 2002.

Going forward, it seems unlikely that Apple will re-introduce a single processor PowerPC-based Power Mac system with the consumer-oriented iMac line already topping out at 2GHz itself. And in a year and a half Power Macs are due to obtain a flavor of Intel's Pentium processor.

So today the single processor PowerPC Power Mac appears to be nothing more than a memory and collectors item for the ages.
  • Reply 2 of 37
    naknak Posts: 101member
    So.... do you think Apple will cut prices, even if just a tad?
  • Reply 3 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nak

Nah! They'll just implement some other awesome, new, cool, hardware/os features to justify charging you double for it.
  • Reply 4 of 37
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nak

I think you will start to find some killer deals on PowerPC-based Macs in about 12 months when the first Intel-based Macs hit the market.

And to answer your question more directly: It appears -- based on what I have researched -- that Apple is making a pretty penny on the Power Mac G5 systems it currently sells and could easily drop the price. I have no information to suggest upcoming drops, however.

Best,

K
  • Reply 5 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Moscow

Nah! They'll just implement some other awesome, new, cool, hardware/os features to justify charging you double for it.

lol, in true apple fashion
  • Reply 6 of 37
    jwdawsojwdawso Posts: 389member
    I bet it's just because they have not been selling enough. They weren't upgraded when the rest of the line was upgraded, and had fallen behind the iMac, so they were probably only available until supplies ran out.

I still believe we will never see the 970MP or 970GX... I'm hoping that Apple will pull an Intel-based Mac out of their hat this year. But what do I know?
  • Reply 7 of 37
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    So why not add a little interest and offer a 2.3 single processor? That might work for some users and would be above the iMac line.
  • Reply 8 of 37
    what are you talking about? the 1.8 Ghz is still in the online store,

edited later : uups sorry only in Germany
  • Reply 9 of 37
    mithimithi Posts: 5member
    Hi. The single processor is still on the apple UK site. It is not on the american one though.

m

EDIT

Im not sure but i think that the single processor has only gone on the american site
  • Reply 10 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mithi

Hi. The single processor is still on the apple UK site. It is not on the american one though.

m

EDIT

Im not sure but i think that the single processor has only gone on the american site

I don't know if its true but looking at this makes me believe PowerMacs (and probably all other Apple products) are manafactured in the U.S. So they probably stopped selling 1.8s in the U.S. and shipped all the ones which they were not able to sell, to overseas this is probably usual practice by Apple I would assume, and makes sense to me.
  • Reply 11 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by punica888

manafactured in the U.S.

Industry in the US?? You must be joking!
  • Reply 12 of 37
    I don't know about the US, but up until recently many of the PowerMac G5's were manufactured in Ireland.
  • Reply 13 of 37
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Robin Hood

I don't know about the US, but up until recently many of the PowerMac G5's were manufactured in Ireland.

BLARNEY!

(I believe you. I just felt like saying that.)
  • Reply 14 of 37
    Canada online store has all duals now.
  • Reply 15 of 37
    cj171cj171 Posts: 144member
    guess theyre finally movin on
  • Reply 16 of 37
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    I wonder what would happen if the Clowns at Apple sold a single cpu version with their fastest CPU. A single 2.7? Lot of Folks dont need a 2nd cpu hanging around doing nothing for the most part. Lot of folks just want options and a single fast cpu not a single slow cpu. Apple is lost in their own Tier spin and have been for years. Apple took the 1.8 and made it less machine then the year before. Clowns in Hardware, thank god the software division has been saving their sorry butts. Lets hope they dont pull the same gimmicks when going to Intel. I can see it now the powermacs gets dual core Intels running at 4.0 and iMac will have a 2.2 ghz P4 Apples whole marketing scheme on its computers is a mess hence they own 3% of the market. Why not just sell what people want instead of the games with powermac screwing all lines?
  • Reply 17 of 37
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    It was a lousy system anyway. Same bus speed as the iMac. It previously may have been considered a bit of a good buy before May, but when Apple put out the updated Macs, and didn't update the 1.8, you knew they didn't care about it, and anyone who bought one after that point was just stupid.
  • Reply 18 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by Robin Hood

really? \ , well i guess they just made the move in the U.S. since it is the mother country
  • Reply 19 of 37
    r.i.p
  • Reply 20 of 37
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Dissapointing news. The offered expandability at a lower cost.