Realistic Wishlist for new PowerBooks

Comments

• Reply 21 of 86
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

Moniker-wise, the "i" could be overloaded as standing for "intel".

You're seeing things from a whole different perspective, cube.

--B
  • Reply 22 of 86
    mynameheremynamehere Posts: 560member
    add another feature: 2nd HDD bay in 15" and/or 17" pb since laptop hdd's seem to top out around 100GBs
  • Reply 23 of 86
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dr. J

I don't know if Apple would make a widescreen smaller then 13.3"

That would be fine, too. I just want the smallest powerbook to be widescreen. If it needs to get a little larger to make that happen, then fine. (As long as it doesn't get much heavier.)
  • Reply 24 of 86
    Quote:

Originally posted by jms698

Two words: carbon fibre

Two words: femur bone of lowland gorilla
  • Reply 25 of 86
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Quote:

Originally posted by off/lang

That would be fine, too. I just want the smallest powerbook to be widescreen. If it needs to get a little larger to make that happen, then fine. (As long as it doesn't get much heavier.)

What I would like is a 10.6" widescreen PowerBook, with a resolution of 1280x768 - compare with the Fujitsu P7010 for example. This would be the perfect ultraportable Apple.

I'd also like the 12" to become widescreen. Something like the Acer Travelmate 3000 which has a 1280x800 display and weighs under 3lbs.

Apple used to be way ahead with their range of slim light notebooks, but the PC world has caught up and gone way beyond whilst Apple have stayed still. If it wasn't for the added value of Mac OS X I don't think many people would buy them at all.
  • Reply 26 of 86
    jms698jms698 Posts: 102member
    Quote:

Originally posted by surfacenuts

Two words: femur bone of lowland gorilla

That's five words
  • Reply 27 of 86
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

What's this obsession with carbon fiber?

vs.

• Reply 28 of 86
    Quote:

Originally posted by jms698

That's five words

And that's three, Tom Vu!
  • Reply 29 of 86
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

What's this obsession with carbon fiber? I hear about this one for some years now. What is so great that keeps people still talking about it?

it seems that some people tape it to their cars and instantly became babemagnets...

it's hightech bling.
  • Reply 30 of 86
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    I don't want any composite materials in the case at all. Composite is strong when the stress is applied in one direction, but very weak when it is stressed in another.

I want a magnesium body and magnesium skeleton.
  • Reply 31 of 86
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Originally posted by skatman

I don't want any composite materials in the case at all. Composite is strong when the stress is applied in one direction, but very weak when it is stressed in another.

If I remember from science class magnesium burns quite bright and hot!!

perhaps an alloy.

Or, the battery explosion thing will be coupled with intense fire!

• Reply 32 of 86
    blackcatblackcat Posts: 697member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

perhaps an alloy.

Or, the battery explosion thing will be coupled with intense fire!

True, but REALLY pretty fire!
  • Reply 33 of 86
    blackcatblackcat Posts: 697member
    My list is doable:

- HD screen

- DL superdrive

- 4 USB ports

- MIMO wifi

- 2GHz CPU

- 4.5 hour battery outside the RDF

• Reply 34 of 86
    Quote:

Hey, I don't know shit about material engineering, but I was under the impression that what makes carbon fiber strong--very strong--in more than one direction is how it's manufactured into a weave. Unwoven, its strength is limited. I can't imagine if the upper eschelon cars Ferrari and Porsche and Lamborghini use it for their chasises that it won't work for a laptop.
  • Reply 35 of 86
    hewliganhewligan Posts: 27member
    I want what Blackcat said. Now technically I am meant to be keeping this TiBook until the new intel PowerBooks, but since my TiBook has started going mental (not waking from sleep, or waking and then freezing, or waking, screen goes a bit shakey-mental, and then system freezes requiring reboot), I may well need to replace it sooner than originally thought.

And yes, I am backing files up VERY regularly right now
  • Reply 36 of 86
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    Quote:

Hey, I don't know shit about material engineering, but I was under the impression that what makes carbon fiber strong--very strong--in more than one direction is how it's manufactured into a weave. Unwoven, its strength is limited. I can't imagine if the upper eschelon cars Ferrari and Porsche and Lamborghini use it for their chasises that it won't work for a laptop.

That is true. Lots of airplane parts are made of composites (especially Airbusses).

The reason why you can do that, is that the you model what forces act of the structure and which direction they apply stresses on the structure. From there you can design a composite (orient the fibers) to be strong in those directions. However, if you're wrong and the stress is applied in another direction, you're screwed. That is exactly what happened to the A300 over NY in right after 9/11.

In principle, you can make a composite be strong in all directions, but then you don't gain anything over an isotropic material such as metal.

Take a structural beam of the ferrari and squeeze it with metal pliars and you'll see what I mean.

Quote:

That's in a pure oxygen atmosphere and it as to be pretty pure. As you said, it's doped with nickel or something.
  • Reply 37 of 86
    Quote:

Originally posted by mynamehere

- What features do you think will be/would you like to see in the new PB's?

- When do you think we'll see a new PB?

- And a few other things to consider:

New case design?

What will differentiate the PBs and the iBooks?

What updates to the PBs do you think we'll see between now and the release of the intel-PBs?

What differences do you think there will be among the different PBs in the line (ie: 12" PB vs: 17" PB)?

Price?

Enjoy!

If we're talking about the future Mactel PowerBook laptops, as oppose the the MPC7448 disgrace, then ...

How about we just get a PowerBook that performs at least equal to, possibly slightly better than, the best performing PC laptops in the traditional PowerBook pricerange ($1500-$2700) ? That's all I really want.

It's speculated that we won't see a Mactel laptop until 2007, which makes about as much sense as becoming a worshipping and practicing necrophiliac. The MPC7448 is pretty much scheduled to come out in October, but I have a feeling that PowerBook sales are going to drop off the map, forcing Apple to release the first generation Mactel PowerBooks in about the summer of 2006. It would be great if they had a 64-bit processor (with the option of either a single or dual core processor) with a great front side bus, faster RAM, SATA hard drive, FW 400 & 800, USB 2.0, better video card options, and a new case design, but as said before, all I really want is to be able to purchase an Apple laptop that performs at least equal to, or slightly better than, the best performing PC laptops in the traditional PowerBook pricerange ($1500-$2700).
  • Reply 38 of 86
    SATA Hard drives? In a laptop?
  • Reply 39 of 86
    Quote:

Like the NeXTCube?
  • Reply 40 of 86
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    how about instant boot up from flash drives. that would separate apple and os x from glue slow windows xp startup.

make all powerbooks like the toughbooks, but thin light, powerful, 6 hour real life battery life. super quick recharge technology

extra battery bay

oled screen

how about a fold up-out keyboard that swivels for ergonomics

it has to be unique, signiture looking apple. people should know from across the room that you think different