I am slowly becoming a fan of Hitachi hard disks

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
some of you may say, wtf?

some of you may say, what took you so long??

my iBook g4 has a hitachi 2.5" drive, 1.5 years old,

iPod mini 1st gen has a hitachi drive, 8 months old,

so far i've put it through what i believe to be fairly good usage and it holds up well...

i'm doing research now on the

7200rpm 60gb 2.5" 9.5mm hard disk to upgrade the iBook g4 someday (i don't think i'll do it myself ~ i'm figuring out a way to get appleCare to do it for a fee, so that the 1.5 year warranty left is still legit.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

some of you may say, wtf?

some of you may say, what took you so long??

my iBook g4 has a hitachi 2.5" drive, 1.5 years old,

iPod mini 1st gen has a hitachi drive, 8 months old,

so far i've put it through what i believe to be fairly good usage and it holds up well...

i'm doing research now on the

7200rpm 60gb 2.5" 9.5mm hard disk to upgrade the iBook g4 someday (i don't think i'll do it myself ~ i'm figuring out a way to get appleCare to do it for a fee, so that the 1.5 year warranty left is still legit.

mine is fantastic.
  • Reply 2 of 29
    I think part of it is because Hitachi bought IBM's hard drive division. Hitachi, like IBM the couple of years directly before them, has really been good both about new tech/larger capacity/smaller sizes and the actual reliability of their drives.

If you just want to get the hard drive upgraded and keep Apple Care all you need is any Apple certified tech to do it for you.
  • Reply 3 of 29
    beigeuserbeigeuser Posts: 371member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Electric Monk

IBM...has really been good both about new tech/larger capacity/smaller sizes and the actual reliability of their drives.

I don't think IBM had a reputation for reliable drives. 3 out of my 4 IBM drives that I purchased failed within 2 years. They weren't used very heavily. They were used in a couple of PowerMacs in an airconditioned room and they were never moved.

A few years ago, I believe that the forums were filled with people who complained about IBM reliability and there was even a class-action lawsuit.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2001/10...th_hard_drive/

IBM sold it's hard drive division to Hitachi shortly after the suit was settled.

The IBM drives were good performers but it just needed the Hitachi magic to turn it into a cool and reliable product. Wait a minute. Maybe IBM should have sold the G5s to Hitachi too.
  • Reply 4 of 29
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BeigeUser

.....The IBM drives were good performers but it just needed the Hitachi magic to turn it into a cool and reliable product. Wait a minute. Maybe IBM should have sold the G5s to Hitachi too....

heh heh
  • Reply 5 of 29
    kwsanderskwsanders Posts: 327member
    I love the Hitachi 7200 RPM drive that I have my Dell laptop. It is great. I need to get a good SATA drive to add to my PowerMac.
  • Reply 6 of 29
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    I've always preferred Western Digital drives here. Maxtor drives have a tendency to be poor performers (ie. slow) from the ones I've had though.
  • Reply 7 of 29
    pyrixpyrix Posts: 264member
    Ive never used Hitachi. Seagate is my favourite, Western Digital coming a close second becuase it takes longer to type.

I have heard good things about hitachi thoou.

STAY AWAY from Maxtor drives. They are terrible!
  • Reply 8 of 29
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    Seagate has 5 year warranty. That says, at least, something about their product.

I'd stay away from Hitachi. I just got done replacing all of the failing Deathstars in the computers that I maintain (10 overall). They all started to show the death symptom of high pitch wine from the bearing.

Said part is, the stuff Hitachi sends as replacements aren't better.
  • Reply 9 of 29
    igrantigrant Posts: 180member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pyriX

Ive never used Hitachi. Seagate is my favourite, Western Digital coming a close second becuase it takes longer to type.

I have heard good things about hitachi thoou.

STAY AWAY from Maxtor drives. They are terrible!

Its funny, I have never had any luck with Western Digital hard drives, and I have had amazing luck with Maxtor Hard Drives. I am a huge Seagate, Hitachi, Toshiba Hard Drive fan, I have never had problem with them, I have a toshiba 40 gig in my iBook and a Seagate Barracuba 5 120 gig in my G4 cube, which happens to be the best hard I have ever used in my life period. almost 8 months, no problems, great preformance and the fluid ball bearing make the hard drive virtually silent. I used Hitachi mainly when I was a Windows (dodges trash being thrown) and they work great.
  • Reply 10 of 29
    wingnutwingnut Posts: 197member
    Anyone want another Hitachi drive? I bought a 40GB Hitachi 2.5" 7200RPM 8mb mobile drive for my Mini, but I pulled it back out when I sold the mini. Now it just sits beside my desk as a relatively expensive paper weight. \ PM me if you're curious.
  • Reply 11 of 29
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wingnut

Anyone want another Hitachi drive? I bought a 40GB Hitachi 2.5" 7200RPM 8mb mobile drive for my Mini, but I pulled it back out when I sold the mini. Now it just sits beside my desk as a relatively expensive paper weight. \ PM me if you're curious.

feel free to mention here on this thread the model number, how old it is, and whether it will fit in a iBook g4 933mhz (9.5mm in height i think ?)

thanks matey
  • Reply 12 of 29
    Here's the link:

http://www.hitachigst.com/portal/sit...703e3aac4f0a0/

It's the 40MB model, standard 2.5" notebook drive. The form factor is identical to all other notebook drives I've seen.

Oh yeah, I bought it in either February or March, and it was only used in the Mini, which means it didn't see the abuse it might normally receive in a notebook.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by iGrant

Its funny, I have never had any luck with Western Digital hard drives, and I have had amazing luck with Maxtor Hard Drives. I am a huge Seagate, Hitachi, Toshiba Hard Drive fan, I have never had problem with them, I have a toshiba 40 gig in my iBook and a Seagate Barracuba 5 120 gig in my G4 cube, which happens to be the best hard I have ever used in my life period. almost 8 months, no problems, great preformance and the fluid ball bearing make the hard drive virtually silent. I used Hitachi mainly when I was a Windows (dodges trash being thrown) and they work great.

I can beat that disk easily. I have an 840mb Quantam hard disk from a Pentium 100, it now sits in my PIII desktop storing all my Mp3 files. It sat in dust under the house for a year or so, survived little kids thinking the mahine was a game console and pressing the off button at will, numerous storms and power shortages, and despite the fact there is a noticable lag on the access times, which was always there, it works great.
  • Reply 14 of 29
    heh, I do have an old 540mb Maxtor laying around. I don't use it anymore, but AFAIK, it still works. At least it did when I used it last.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    Quote:

Seagate is my favourite, Western Digital coming a close second becuase it takes longer to type.

That's why we type "WD" instead.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wingnut

heh, I do have an old 540mb Maxtor laying around. I don't use it anymore, but AFAIK, it still works. At least it did when I used it last.

Well mines bigger.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Well mines bigger.

We still talkin' about hard drives here?
  • Reply 18 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

We still talkin' about hard drives here?

I cant help it if you have a dirty mind.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    kwsanderskwsanders Posts: 327member
    Quote:

I can beat that disk easily. I have an 840mb Quantam hard disk from a Pentium 100, it now sits in my PIII desktop

I have two drives in the bottom drawer of my file cabinet. One drive is an ATA33 1.7 gig and the other like a 1 gig MFM drive.

Anyone interested?
  • Reply 20 of 29
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

I cant help it if you have a dirty mind.

It was a joke.