Apple execs scout retail locations in Germany

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Executives from Apple Computer's retail division recently flew to Berlin to scout locations for the company's first German retail store, according to a report by ifoAppleStore.

Specifically, the report says the execs were seen touring Berlin's Kurfürstendamm Boulevard, which stretches over two miles from the Gedächtniskirche to right outside Halensee.

It's likely that Apple will look to place the retail store somewhere in the lively upper part of Kurfürstendamm, which is home to countless department and fashion chain stores. By contrast, the lower part is quieter and lined with designer stores that reside in turn-of-the-century buildings.

Constructed between 1883 and 1886 as a boulevard with a bridle path, Kurfürstendamm was soon met by opulent developments along its sides. By the Twenties it had become the meeting point of Berlin's intellectuals.

After being badly damaged during World War II, the boulevard was cleared and redeveloped in the Fifties with tower blocks and terraced buildings.

Today, Kurfürstendamm remains Berlin's showcase boulevard and has been the site of several new developments over the past five years. From a retail perspective, the boulevard is faintly similar to Paris' Champs Elysées, where Apple is also expected to open a retail store in 2007.

According to ifoAppleStore sources, the Berlin Apple store could open "by late 2005 or early 2006." It would mark the first store in the company's promised expansion into Europe.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    The Ku-Damm - oh man. It's the old-fashioned shopping mile, in the somewhat out-of-date western part of the city. It's pretty there, with established neighborhoods full of slightly more affluent people such as Wilmersdorf or Charlottenburg nearby.

But the "new heart" of the city is in the Eastern part: Mitte, around the famous "Hackescher Markt". That's where the cool boutiques are. Tourists are everywhere, cool people (like me :-)) shop in Mitte (or actually in Friedrichshain or wherever - but that's where the hip but poor people shop).

Long-time establishments like the Cafe Kranzler, well known from post-cards, have been driven out of the Ku'damm because of the sky-high rents there (or has the Kranzler re-opened somewhere?). Nevertheless, there are always huge crowds around the Ku'damm.

The compromise between style and customer mass might be the Sony Center on Potsdamer Platz, right in the center of the city, next to highly modern and expensive buildings, in the middle of a shopping mall and the latest chic of the Sony Center, with movie theatres, cafes and resturants. Might be tough to find a decent-sized unit there, though.

http://www.davids-world.com/
  • Reply 2 of 13
    dp123dp123 Posts: 17member
    Last time I checked, England was in Europe.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Actually a better place for the first Apple Store in Germany would be Düsseldorf (capital of the state of North Rhine - Westphalia) since it's Germany's media center, is very near to Belgium and The Netherlands.

The Kurfürstendamm pales against Düsseldorf's Königsallee or similar places in Hamburg or Munic. I'd choose any of the three cities in favour of Berlin.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    While I agree that Kurfürstendamm would be the wrong choice for Apple I don´t really see any location near Hackescher Markt that could make a great impression. Perhaps Oranienburger Strasse but it doesn´t have the appeal and is a bit too messed up.

For real show off they could make a kick ass store at Under den Linden. Its in Mitte but still mainstream enough and a very broad boulevard. Perhaps next door to the Berlin Guggenheim (Cafe Einstein, Guggenheim and Apple within 100 feet. Sweet!). But I guess it would be impossible to get your foot in on that street.

Apple need to find the fine balance between mass audience and the "yes we know whats cool and stuff"-factor and Kurfürstendamm has lots of the first and nothing of the second.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    denmarudenmaru Posts: 208member
    Argh.... let´s just hope they build a flagship-store on our famous Ringstrasse any time soon....
  • Reply 6 of 13
    bka77bka77 Posts: 331member
    Quote:

Originally posted by phantomac

Actually a better place for the first Apple Store in Germany would be Düsseldorf (capital of the state of North Rhine - Westphalia) since it's Germany's media center, is very near to Belgium and The Netherlands.

The Kurfürstendamm pales against Düsseldorf's Königsallee or similar places in Hamburg or Munic. I'd choose any of the three cities in favour of Berlin.

second that!
  • Reply 7 of 13
    It sucks that the only news of the day is that they are looking for a location to build an Apple Store. No news on the special event or anything else.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Berlin is the hip place these years. Its the new London.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dp123

Last time I checked, England was in Europe.

meh.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by phantomac

no offense to west-west-germans, but dusseldorf, cologne are pretty boring compared to Berlin ~ it's got the Love Parade for goddsake...!! YEAH

being near the netherlands is not an issue, because there should hopefully be an Amsterdam apple store soonish as well

as soon as raboBank or whatever the hell is holding up apple gets their ass out of the future Amsterdam apple store!! YEAH ...sex, drugs, trancemusik, apple... ahh... heaven.

gawd i sound like an annoying non-european outsider (ouslander?), but just my brash impressions...

• Reply 11 of 13
    csimmonscsimmons Posts: 100member
    I don't live in Berlin (I live in Stuttgart), but I would think that a location on the Ku'Damm, while still being a popular place to shop for many, would not attract as many visitors as Friedrichshain, or in the Sony Center, as suggested by a couple of people here. With the new Berlin Main Train Station due to be finished soon, Berlin Mitte will be the "in" spot by the time an Apple Store comes to Berlin.

Düsseldorf... uhh, no... 8)
  • Reply 12 of 13
    denmarudenmaru Posts: 208member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

gawd i sound like an annoying non-european outsider (ouslander?), but just my brash impressions...

It´s "Ausländer", and it means that you are from a foreign country, but not necessarily an "Outsider".

And what do you have against Düsseldorf? I´ve been there, and the Königsallee was sure is equal to our Kärntnerstrasse.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    charkocharko Posts: 84member
    I've been living in Berlin for thirty years and have watched various 'centres' come and go.

The Kudamm/Tauentzienstr. has survived them all and it attracts more shoppers than any other 'centre' - by far; and they're broadly representative, as far as age and income goes.

Tauentzienstrasse, somewhere near the KDW (Berlin's flagship compartment store) would be the best choice, but there's probably nothing going up for grabs at the moment.

The Kudamm area has excellent puplic transport connections and the large Technical University near-by. New high-rise buildings for boutiques and department stores are under construction, and it will remain Berlin's main shopping centre.

Potsdamer Platz is a flop! Who goes there?

It seems Apple are making the right choice.

P.S. DÜSSELDORF !!! You must be joking!