Apple Store down!!!

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by Apoder

Damn I thought it was going to be iBooks.

Me too!!! It actually pisses me off I know Apple may have a shitload of old iBooks they would like to offload before announcing an upgrade... But I won't give in!!!

Selling 9 month old hardware with a non-tiger compatible videocard and too little memory isn't exactly going to create great customer experiences - something Apple is usually focused on. You only trick the customers once - they'll remember!!! And the longer Apple postpones the iBook upgrade, the greater the risk that people will just wait for the Intel Macs. That's a lose-lose situation for both Apple and the customers. It need not be!!!
  • Reply 22 of 27
    apoderapoder Posts: 49member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tapple2002

Me too!!! It actually pisses me off I know Apple may have a shitload of old iBooks they would like to offload before announcing an upgrade... But I won't give in!!!

Selling 9 month old hardware with a non-tiger compatible videocard and too little memory isn't exactly going to create great customer experiences - something Apple is usually focused on. You only trick the customers once - they'll remember!!! And the longer Apple postpones the iBook upgrade, the greater the risk that people will just wait for the Intel Macs. That's a lose-lose situation for both Apple and the customers. It need not be!!!

Yeah I completely agree with you on the postponing issue. If they hold back any longer I'd much rather wait for the next Intel based laptop instead of a PPC. Not to worry though, we should expect one any time soon...I hope
  • Reply 23 of 27
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    New BTO option:

"NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT DDL

The groundbreaking NVIDIA GeForce 6800 graphics processor also features a 16-pixel pipeline architecture and support for the world's fastest GDDR3 memory to raise the bar for 3D graphics performance. The specifications for the GeForce 6800 GT DDL include memory bandwidth of 32GB per second throughput, 525 million vertices and 5.6 billion textured pixels per second. The card features NVIDIA's industry leading CineFX 3.0 technology allowing incredible special effects to be processed in real-time.

The GeForce 6800 GT GPU is built on an AGP 8X board and includes 256MB of GDDR3 memory for use in the most demanding graphics applications. The GeForce 6800 GT DDL card supports the DVI standard dual link digital signal specification on each of the two DVI ports that are included."

GPU = 350MHz

RAM = 500MHz

"ATI Radeon X850 XT

The Radeon X850 XT graphics processor provides a significant step up in graphics processing horsepower. Featuring a 16-pixel pipeline architecture and a large 256 MB DDR SDRAM frame buffer the performance metrics delivered by the X850 XT are impressive; memory bandwidth is 34.6 GB per second, over 700 million vertices and over 8 billion textured pixels per second. This advanced graphics card also includes SMARTSHADER HD, the latest in graphics programmability allowing users to experience movie-quality effects in 3D games and pro applications. The Radeon X850 XT occupies a single slot and can support a single 30-inch Apple Cinema HD Display on the DVI port. The second port on the Radeon X850 XT is an Apple Display Connector (ADC port) for direct connection of Apple flat panel displays with ADC connectors."

GPU = 500MHz

RAM = 540MHz
  • Reply 24 of 27
    timmybtimmyb Posts: 12member
    Quote:

Originally posted by smalM

[B]New BTO option:

What is this BTO option for?
  • Reply 25 of 27
    apoderapoder Posts: 49member
    Looks like chances of an updated iBook are quite slim... Apparently theres a deal now where you get a free ipod mini for the purchase of a mac....So mcuh for an update
  • Reply 26 of 27
    justdoitjustdoit Posts: 44member
    Quote:

Originally posted by timmyb

What is this BTO option for?

G5PowerMacs
  • Reply 27 of 27
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    I agree with the comments concerning non-Tiger optimized hardware. Every person who buys a Mini or iBook that doesn't support core video or is RAM anemic will be less likely to buy a Mac again. Apple is dishing out lame user experiences it will cost them more than a paltry RAM and video chipset update.

I'm becoming very pessimistic about Apple's ability to offer competitive Intel-based hardware. History suggests that Apple will neuter the Intel chipsets on all but the most expensive Macs, leaving computers like the Mini and iBook performing far behind comparable Wintels. Will Apple blow their chance at offering hardware as fast and feature-rich as Wintel hardware?