Updated Mac mini imminent?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg

While Apple is at it, they can add a 7200 RPM desktop HD and a Tiger compatible video chipset.

That would be nice.

I picked up my brand new 700Mhz G3 iBook on July 31, 2002. Jaguar was out within 3 months and Quartz Extreme did not support my video chipset at all.

I don't expect Apple to support every machine they make forever and ever, but I really don't think they have much excuse to drop support like that on such a recent product. Especially when you consider that you have no choice in the video hardware on anything less than their uber-pricey models. When one of the most important features of your operating system's foundation cannot function with the hardware you were selling a matter of weeks earlier, then you need to either adjust your programming, or up your hardware specs to futureproof your products just a tad, so the people who just dropped a well over a grand on them do not feel like they were duped.
  • Reply 22 of 24
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    Quote:

While Apple is at it, they can add a 7200 RPM desktop HD

Do you sometimes think before you hit the submit button?
  • Reply 23 of 24
    mynameheremynamehere Posts: 560member
    Quote:

Any update had better include an empty fucking RAM slot that's easy to access!

damn right!

Quote:

While Apple is at it, they can add a 7200 RPM desktop HD and a Tiger compatible video chipset.

maybe a 7200RPM laptop HDD...I'm not sure a full-size will fit into the mini's form factor, and that the cooling would be able to withstand the extra strain.

Quote:

At least slap in the fastest G4s Freescale can make...what are they at now, 1.8 GHz or so? Apple should just use the fastest G4s possible in all the G4 lines, since Intel is coming it would be a good sales incentive.

They probably will by the time the intel switch comes about, but if they do that now and make no faster G4's, then that kinda screws Apple for their next upgrade cycle.
  • Reply 24 of 24
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Quote:

previous...

At least slap in the fastest G4s Freescale can make...what are they at now, 1.8 GHz or so? Apple should just use the fastest G4s possible in all the G4 lines, since Intel is coming it would be a good sales incentive...

...They probably will by the time the intel switch comes about, but if they do that now and make no faster G4's, then that kinda screws Apple for their next upgrade cycle.

I'd have to agree with the idea of slapping in the fastest G4 currently available... if that happens now then it may boost sales pre-intel and I'd bet that there may only be one more upgrade cycle before intel gets inside, so no need to worry about upgrade cycles as the 'final' G4 to be included in any Mac could be tweaked or possibly have another speed bump before then.

Definitely include more i/o ports (audio/video).