HP adds shuffle to its iPod lineup

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 44
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Alexander the Great

iPod HP is not supported on Mac and requires it to be reformatted to work for Mac. Some Wal-Marts carry both. I pushed iPods at Wal-Mart and we were one of the first Wal-Marts to get them. Right before I transferred to another store, we got in lots of iPods. The store I'm at now has pink and silver iPod minis and we've had the iPod shuffle. We carry both HP and Apple iPod minis in silver.

Alexander the Great

P.S. Yes, yes, I know... I work at Wal-Mart, there's no need to poke fun. Sometimes we need to do what's not enjoyable for a time because life's just that way.

When Apple was making two models of iPod, one for the Mac and one for the PC the same thing occured. One or the other had to be reformatted to use with the other. Hp is probably marketing to PC users as most Mac users would rather buy one directly from Apple. As you say, a reformat is all that's needed.
  • Reply 42 of 44
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    The Windows version of iPod software formats the iPod in FAT32, which is a filesystem that is documented and open (almost) to third parties. Macs can read and write to FAT32 so a Windows-formatted iPod should work fine on both Mac and PC. However, a Mac formatted iPod doesn't work on a PC because Windows only recognizes filesystems from Microsoft; FAT/32, NTFS.
  • Reply 43 of 44
    mike12309mike12309 Posts: 135member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

The Windows version of iPod software formats the iPod in FAT32, which is a filesystem that is documented and open (almost) to third parties. Macs can read and write to FAT32 so a Windows-formatted iPod should work fine on both Mac and PC. However, a Mac formatted iPod doesn't work on a PC because Windows only recognizes filesystems from Microsoft; FAT/32, NTFS.

maybe in theory. it doesnt work that way thought. it can read. it cannot write. also fat32 doesnt work well on ipods, over time the indexing gets ruined or buttons stop working... i had to restore 2 of them today for exactly that reason, and i can garentee if i tried to upgrade or add music, id get an error somewhat like: "An error has occured because this ipod is formatted for Windows (FAT) File System."

Mike
  • Reply 44 of 44
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mike12309

maybe in theory. it doesnt work that way thought. it can read. it cannot write. also fat32 doesnt work well on ipods, over time the indexing gets ruined or buttons stop working... i had to restore 2 of them today for exactly that reason, and i can garentee if i tried to upgrade or add music, id get an error somewhat like: "An error has occured because this ipod is formatted for Windows (FAT) File System."

Mike

That's similar to my experience.