Do you guys want dual optical drives built into next PowerMac tower?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hardhead

Of course, I'm speaking of the options available on the PC side right now.

Who cares? You have a floppy drive on the the PC too and seriell port, parallel port, and PS2 ports...

I consider these just as unnecessarily as the second optical drive I kicked out of my G4 FW800.
  • Reply 22 of 26
    i may not use it but someone else might. it would be good for people who could make use it, i had dual drives on my pc and it was nice to have. why not just include it whether the person uses it or not (as long as the powermac still looks good). it shouldnt be an extra because it will cost more $$$ and the powermac is already expensive.
  • Reply 23 of 26
    mikenapmikenap Posts: 94member
    I have not wanted a second drive bay AS MUCH lately having the new 16x superdrive, as it burns CD's at 32X (I believe) when the older models were very slow for CD burning, which is what i use most. If I could have everything, I'd have the best internal CD burner at the max 52x or whatever they are up to, and a seperate DVD burner and use each for it's intended purpose. but all in all the new drive is pretty satisfying....
  • Reply 24 of 26
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    Quote:

Who cares? You have a floppy drive on the the PC too and seriell port, parallel port, and PS2 ports...

I consider these just as unnecessarily as the second optical drive I kicked out of my G4 FW800.

But that's you.

I care and I know a lot people who do as well. There still plenty of devices that use legacy connections. It's always good to have options.
  • Reply 25 of 26
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:

Originally posted by skatman

But that's you.

I care and I know a lot people who do as well. There still plenty of devices that use legacy connections. It's always good to have options.

Yeah, for instance: I'd love for my microphone port on my G5 to work, especially since they included so few PCI's I can't add a sound board without either taking out something important or having yet another box outside my computer.

Currently, because of the PM G5's almost insulting Lack of ports and slots, I'm forced to have 2 USB hubs, an external TV tuner, an external RAID, and soon an external DVD-R. ALL of these things could fit inside my PC, and since it's internal, it's FAR, FAR cheaper.

_POWER_macs are for _POWER_users, and therefore should have a bit more than 2 HD slots and 3 PCI's (in my case, 2 because I have a 6800U).. ugh

Oh but it's a pretty case though!... looks like a big box of crap when you have to have all these little boxes strewn about because they totally skimped on the features!

They don't NEED elegance in design, what they NEED are enough features to make this $3000 electric razor worth the scratch!
  • Reply 26 of 26
    mynameheremynamehere Posts: 560member
    Quote:

Originally posted by smalM

While PS/2 ports are unnecesary since Macs use USB for kb/mouse, a parallel port would be nice (my HP 4000 Laser printer didn't come with a usb/network connection). Serial ports...meh...no opinion, although it would be nice. Some stuff still uses it (STAMP Editor). While most of these ports are unneccesary on anything other than PowerMacs (ie: iMacs, eMacs, PB, iBook, Mac Mini), this IS supposed to be a top-of-the-line machine, and should therefore include all the ports found on PC's.

As for floppy drives, on all the Macs on the Tufts campus that I've seen, all have external floppy drives right next to them. However, I don't really have an opinion as to whether they should be included or not...could call for another thread.

EDIT: And now for the purpose of this thread...dual opticals would be really nice. After all, they were available on some G4's, and that case is already so f-ing huge.