Patent reveals universal Apple wireless touch-screen remote

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple Computer recently researched and developed a wireless touch-screen remote control concept that would automatically discover and communicate with existing and future consumer electronics appliances as well as the personal computer, a filing with the United States Patent and Trademark Office has revealed.

The invention, titled "apparatus and method to facilitate universal remote control," is described in an April 2002 patent filing as a universal remote control with display screen that is capable of communicating wirelessly with digital lifestyle applications running on a computer in addition home electronics appliances such as a television, stereo, VCR and DVD player.

A wireless communication mechanism built into the remote would allow the device to automatically detect appliances within range. Once an appliance is detected, the remote would request a set of user-interface controls from the appliance and then make those controls accessible to the user via graphics on the remote's touch-screen.

According to the filing, each appliance -- such as a DVD player or iTunes app -- need only be discovered once. Discovered appliances would be added to a list of controllable items on the remote's touch-screen. When a user selects a specific appliance from the touch-screen menu, a set of interface controls pertinent to that appliance would appear on the screen. Devices that fall out of range of the remote would be represented by grayed listings.

In order to automate discovery and the transfer of user interface controls from third party appliances to the remote, the designer, Alberto Vidal of Los Gatos, Calif., called for a combination of Bluetooth wireless technology, markup languages like XML, and protocols such as HTTP. In one example provided by the filing, interface controls would be delivered from the appliances to the remote via XML tags.

"Manufacturers have created so-called universal remote controls, which can be trained to mimic several remote controls, and can then control each appliance for which they have been trained," the filing reads in part. "While universal remote controls attempt to address the problem of multiple remote controls, these devices are even more complex to operate, further confusing the user. Additionally, a universal remote control may not be able to duplicate every command sequence designed into a remote control designed for the appliance, and for future appliances."

While the Apple invention attempts to alleviate the confusion and clutter of multiple remotes or incomplete universal remotes, it does not appear to rely on a set of standards broad enough to ensure success with the majority of existing consumer electronics. Still, rumors as recent as last May suggest that Apple continues to experiment with wireless display-based remotes. Specifically, the company is rumored to have worked on a remote to control iTunes playlists over wireless connections. Its release may still be pending.

In addition to a detailed description of the remote, the Apple patent filing includes a handful of concept designs and flow charts (seen below) depicting the device and its functionality. However, no detailed renderings of the remote's form-factor are provided.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    After dealing with a few so called "universal" remote controls, I truly hope that Apple does release something like this. I list my desires as follows:

1. Touchscreen design, ala Bose's touchscreen remote for its top of the line systems.

2. Online database of codes to simplify programming.

3. IR and RF control.

4. User configurable layout for virtual "buttons" on the display.

5. Cradle/display stand to showcase the remote and to make it a showpiece in a home theater.
  • Reply 2 of 52
    edit: duplicate post
  • Reply 3 of 52
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kishan

After dealing with a few so called "universal" remote controls, I truly hope that Apple does release something like this. I list my desires as follows:

1. Touchscreen design, ala Bose's touchscreen remote for its top of the line systems.

2. Online database of codes to simplify programming.

3. IR and RF control.

4. User configurable layout for virtual "buttons" on the display.

5. Cradle/display stand to showcase the remote and to make it a showpiece in a home theater.

I second the motion. This is exactly what I want too.
  • Reply 4 of 52
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Well, yeah, to be truly universal it would at least need to have IR and RF. BT would be the cherry on top to make it work wit every app on the computer (Sailings on steroids).
  • Reply 5 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

Well, yeah, to be truly universal it would at least need to have IR and RF. BT would be the cherry on top to make it work wit every app on the computer (Sailings on steroids).

WiFi could be a nice addtion as well... especially if coupled with some new version of airport express that ties into iHome...
  • Reply 6 of 52
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Anyone remember that "tablet" patent application Apple got a couple months back?
  • Reply 7 of 52
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Sounds like a cross between Bluetooth, HAVi, and Harmony. I like it.
  • Reply 8 of 52
    spankaleespankalee Posts: 90member
    I've actually seen a prototype of the remote. It was years ago, and made by a different company, but Apple bought them and it sounds almost exactly the same.

At the time Bluetooth wasn't out, so the remote had a base station that connected to other components through a FireWire network. They had it working with Kenwood gear. When you plugged in a device it automatically showed up on the screen as an icon. When you pressed the icon it's interface would show up. Each device would publish it's capabilities for the remote (play, record, volume, channel, etc).

It was nice, but pretty primitive at the time (not just the interface, but the piece of plywood it was built on). With Bluetooth or WiFi, Rendezvous, oops... I mean OpenTalk, oops... I mean Bonjour, and XML I can see how it would be much, much better now. Having an application appear as a device is a nice feature.
  • Reply 9 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kesh

Anyone remember that "tablet" patent application Apple got a couple months back?

Yeah, I was hopeing that the special event, (that now is cancelled or something???) would be realleasing a tablet... but i guess maybe this is it instead. :-( This sounds pretty cool though.

I hope this is designed to control an iHome like product or a mac mini, plus your DVD player, VCR, TV. etc. etc.
  • Reply 10 of 52
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    I want one for me and my little dog Toto too. Sounds like a PDA with remote control sensing. I was thinking the same thing w_parietti22. Could be the 'Tablet' is a part of this. I wonder if it could support security codes. Like the v-chip but for other equipment you don't want others to operate. Like starting you car in the winter.\
  • Reply 11 of 52
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Sorry, but no "touchscreen" remote will ever feel as good in my hand as a good, dedicated remote with physical buttons and a good layout. TiVo being the standout in terms of remotes right now. I need the feedback of a real, discrete button moving through real travel. It's the exact reason why, as much as I like my iGesture NumPad (RIP, Fingerworks), I've deprogrammed all the virtual cursor and numeric pad keys on it in favor of using the keypads on my keyboard. Real buttons provide tactile feedback, which means touch is added on top of sight and sound. More feedback via more senses is always better.
  • Reply 12 of 52
    While I'd be the first to say how cool an iTunes remote is, and yeah it makes sense to integrate control of other home entertainment devices as well, I just don't think the remote in and of itself justifies Apple's attentions. I just don't believe that the market would bear the cost Apple would charge for the fully developed device.

However, I do believe they should integrate this technology into a 8-10 inch tablet, that serves as a "couch web/email client," as well as an AV remote. The icing on the cake would be to integrate it with a TiVo styled device (or TiVO itself) and allow thumbnail previews/channel listings on the display, as well as an iTunes interface. That, in my opinion, would grab a lot of media/consumer attention, and justify a high enough price point for Apple to make their customary 30% on.

This device would also tie in nicely with controlling downloaded video-on-demand content, when/if Apple takes that bait.
  • Reply 13 of 52
    for those of you on here who can't wait for a good universal remote, check out the logitech harmony series. Sorry to sound like a salesman and all, but I picked up the $250 one from bestbuy the other day and now my whole family can actually use the TV.

If apple offered a remote that worked as easily with the harmony with built in Wi-Fi, RF, Bluetooth and some way to control airtunes, I would buy one in an instant.
  • Reply 14 of 52
    mynameheremynamehere Posts: 560member
    Combine this baby with a mac mini, a kick-ass home-theater system and a plasma TV, and you're all good.

Does anyone know just how universal this remote will be? (ie: can it control my sony reciever, dvd player etc...)?
  • Reply 15 of 52
    bubba451bubba451 Posts: 19member
    My pet theory/fantasy for the Apple remote? It's just Dashboard with some added hooks for infrared. Control iTunes? Already a widget for it. Check TiVo listings? Use the widget that's already written to do that. Remote control for your TV? Just write a widget for it.
  • Reply 16 of 52
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mynamehere

Combine this baby with a mac mini, a kick-ass home-theater system and a plasma TV, and you're all good.

Does anyone know just how universal this remote will be? (ie: can it control my sony reciever, dvd player etc...)?

If it does control my "Hermstedt" Music center,

i'd be a happy camper.
  • Reply 17 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by zpapasmurf

for those of you on here who can't wait for a good universal remote, check out the logitech harmony series. Sorry to sound like a salesman and all, but I picked up the $250 one from bestbuy the other day and now my whole family can actually use the TV.

If apple offered a remote that worked as easily with the harmony with built in Wi-Fi, RF, Bluetooth and some way to control airtunes, I would buy one in an instant.

very neat and tempting remote... does it do RF?
  • Reply 18 of 52
    project2501project2501 Posts: 433member
    This is something I have wanted for ages, truly universal remote, It need's to talk to the appliances. It's about time world finally get's rid of those shitty IR remotes, RF remotes are a step to the right direction, but they still aren't standard. Next thing we need is appliances to start talking with each other. Why the hell if im having a home theather with DVD, TV and stereo system, I have to use theree different volume controls????? I should just be able to push play from one remote and the system should figure out if its a DVD put my tv on and to the right channel, and also turn on my stereos. Thats really not so hard to do.
  • Reply 19 of 52
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mynamehere

Wait, you want a kick-ass home theater and plasma TV, then use an underpowered limited MacMini with this? For what? Its got no video inputs, lame audio output, only works if your big screen TV has a DVI port that meets current specs (sorry, mine doesn't). And then its just got a lame 40 GB slow hard drive and a lame G4 processor. Not really going to have room on this thing to store movies or the like, nor the power to do HD TV.

Why is it everyone's always looking to merge some device into their systems just because they think it's Apple or something, not because it'll actually be useful.

And don't get your hopes up on Apple releasing one of these things. Apple, like any company, files patents for everything they do, whether they actually decide to implement it or not.

And I have to agree with Kolchak. Buttons, people need buttons. Hell, one of the biggest complaints on the iPod line was when Apple went to the 3G model with the non-clicking buttons that people could hit without realizing it. Plus, how do you feel your way in your darkened room to hit the volume keys or the pause button on a touch screen? You'd always have to look at it to make sure you're pressing in the right area!
  • Reply 20 of 52
    jms698jms698 Posts: 102member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bubba451

My pet theory/fantasy for the Apple remote? It's just Dashboard with some added hooks for infrared. Control iTunes? Already a widget for it. Check TiVo listings? Use the widget that's already written to do that. Remote control for your TV? Just write a widget for it.

Great idea/theory/fantasy! Taking this one step further:

Add a hard drive into the "remote", call it the "video iPod" and watch the sales explode.