G5 PowerBook - Never? So where now for laptops?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Think Secret have reported that Apple is concentrating on their Intel based PowerBook after many (failed) attempts at a G5 PowerBook.

If that's the case then what kind of upgrades are possible to the PowerBook and iBook lines until the Intel arrival in a year or so?

Can the iBooks seriously be upgraded by much? There's little to differentiate the two lines at the moment currently as it is.

I'd like to see 512mb as standard on the iBooks and 1gig on the PowerBooks, also 100 gig and 200 gig on their respective hard drives if you partner those with small speed bumps then the lines may yet remain competetive for the next twelve months.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    cdoverlawcdoverlaw Posts: 73member
    laptop hard drive max capacity 100gb
  • Reply 2 of 46
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,467member
    If there is an update before the Pentium-M based PowerBooks arrive, it will be a minor one -- probably just the 7448 with the latest notebook drives and batteries, and that's about it. Any big changes will wait for the x86 machines.
  • Reply 3 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by cdoverlaw

laptop hard drive max capacity 100gb

bzzt.

Right now the largest size is actually 120GB.
  • Reply 4 of 46
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Keep in mind that it's altogether possible that we'll start seeing Intels in Macs in 6 months, not a year. If that does happen, it's possible there will be no more updates until then.
  • Reply 5 of 46
    apple really needs to update something besides iPods
  • Reply 6 of 46
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,563member
    At this point it seems very unclear as to where Apple will go with the PB line. I would think that they would not want to introduce Intel CPUs into this from the start. It is too risky. These are used by professionals to earn their keep. If some huge problem arises just after they sell the first 100,000 or so that would be very bad. One would think that Apple would start with something like the Mac Mini where problems could be tolerated for a few months till they were fixed.

On the other hand, the announcements from IBM were lackluster. A 1.6GHz G5 that uses more power than the faster G4 is not attractive. A dual core G4 would be more useful.

If we move beyond public information to speculation then one could wonder whether Apple will receive faster chips than the ones IBM announced. For example, maybe they will get 1.8GHz and 2.0GHz PPC970FX chips for PBs and 3.0GHz PPC970MP chips for towers? IBM could square this with the public announcement by saying that their announcement pertained only to publicly available chips, not those reserved for Apple.
  • Reply 7 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by neutrino23

At this point it seems very unclear as to where Apple will go with the PB line. I would think that they would not want to introduce Intel CPUs into this from the start. It is too risky. These are used by professionals to earn their keep. If some huge problem arises just after they sell the first 100,000 or so that would be very bad. One would think that Apple would start with something like the Mac Mini where problems could be tolerated for a few months till they were fixed.

I think you are spot on with this.... I do however, think that Apple will be investing a lot of money into getting a much faster Powerbook working well and out as soon as possible with an Intel chip.

With professionals such as myself (desgin) needing a laptop as powerful as a desktop for when Im away from the office, having to wait through these minor upgrades is very annoying.... and Apple would know this.

On the other hand, A lot of people including myself never jump onto first generation hardware. So I will be waiting to RevB Intel PB come out.... and the faster the 1st Gen. arrives the faster Ill get my 2nd Gen PB!
  • Reply 8 of 46
    I'm in desperate need of a laptop as I'm moving house across continents soon and shipping the G4 iMac just isn't economical.

With the Laptops both iBook and PowerBook screaming for an update I'll hold out as long as I can, probably until the end of August.

After that I'll just get a refurb if there's nothing new on offer.
  • Reply 9 of 46
    pyrixpyrix Posts: 264member
    While i agree that it would make sense in caution and everything to experiment with the Mac Mini or something first, the bowerbook/ibook line is desperatly screaming for an update in both design and guts.

I suspect apple will put these notebooks to the most rigerous lab test possible, then relase them. Powermacs/imacs mini's can wait, we need Pentium M, Yonah chips.
  • Reply 10 of 46
    nuttynutty Posts: 50member
    From the Non-apple point of view there will not be a faster laptop, Currently laptops are taking there place with portabilaty, Not speed.

iBooks will probly run Celeron processors and PowerBooks will probly have Pentium Ds or Pentium 4s in them.
  • Reply 11 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nutty

iBooks will probly run Celeron processors and PowerBooks will probly have Pentium Ds or Pentium 4s in them.

I can only pray you are wrong. MY freind has a Hp laptop with a 3.0ghz P4, in it. Not only does it run like sh*te (he didnt realise you have to run disk dragmenter or clean ones registry (oops) and i realise this isnt the CPU's fault), but when he brought it over, the amount of HEAT that was coming from the side vents of the thing when he was just surfing the web was incredible. I actually moved some paper off my desk (a big thing for me), as I thought it was a fire hazard.

Anywho, POwerbooks, will i suspect have high end Pentium M, Centrino/Sonoma chipsets. (Sonoma is the second generation of centrino, with PCI-E, SATA support etc.). I would like to see the high end powerbooks with 'Yonah' PM, dual core.

As for iBooks running celerons, while that is a fine and cheap processor for office tasks, I would prefer one of the low end Pentium M's, as celerons have a much less efficient architecture from what I have seen of them. If iBooks had celerons, they would of been better off staying with G4's.

Just my $0.02AUD
  • Reply 12 of 46
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pyriX

As for iBooks running celerons, while that is a fine and cheap processor for office tasks, I would prefer one of the low end Pentium M's, as celerons have a much less efficient architecture from what I have seen of them. If iBooks had celerons, they would of been better off staying with G4's.

Just my $0.02AUD

I AGREE. The celeron chip sucks. I would never own another one. A low end M chip would be the way I would want to go. The biggest problem is they are dog slow but you get what you pay for.

Quote:

Originally posted by womblingfree

Think Secret have reported that Apple is concentrating on their Intel based PowerBook after many (failed) attempts at a G5 PowerBook.

I am not sure where all the "Failed Attempts" talk comes from. How can Apple fail when IBM can't release a chip that will even work?

There are no failed attempts, just no attempts at all since the IBM dropped the ball.
  • Reply 13 of 46
    blackcatblackcat Posts: 697member
    It seems likely Apple has had a PB G5 ready to go since the iMac G5 debut, but needed a cooler CPU. That problem is now solved but with the G4 at 1.67 they need a 1.7+ GHz G5 or a marketing miracle to release it. Apple has been known to use CPUs clocked higher than published so perhaps a 970fx at 1.8GHz might even do it.

I can't see the 7448 stimulating sales much, unless again Apple gets a higher rated part. Would 2GHz last until the Intels?
  • Reply 14 of 46
    mariusmarius Posts: 23member
    Quote:

...the bowerbook/ibook line is desperatly screaming for an update in both design and guts...

...OK - so what do you want in a new design that the current lines lack?
  • Reply 15 of 46
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nutty

DTP for a Pentium D 820 is 95W

Quote:

Anywho, POwerbooks, will i suspect have high end Pentium M, Centrino/Sonoma chipsets. (Sonoma is the second generation of centrino, with PCI-E, SATA support etc.). I would like to see the high end powerbooks with 'Yonah' PM, dual core.

While Dothan is nice - especialy on Sonoma - Yonah will be the real deal.

And expect a transition to Merom within a year...
  • Reply 16 of 46
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Blackcat

It seems likely Apple has had a PB G5 ready to go since the iMac G5 debut, but needed a cooler CPU.

You're probably spot on. I think everyone recalls that the new PowerBook models showed up in the G5 plist files last summer with the 10.3.5 update, along with the new iMac, which turned out to be the iMac G5.
  • Reply 17 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by Marius

...OK - so what do you want in a new design that the current lines lack?

Widescreen on the low end. intergrated sub on the 17" powerbook. I saw somwhere that Asus was making the new notebooks, and they already have a notebook like this.

Intergrated card readers, and colours OTHER than white. No Intel inside sticker.
  • Reply 18 of 46
    blackcatblackcat Posts: 697member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

You're probably spot on. I think everyone recalls that the new PowerBook models showed up in the G5 plist files last summer with the 10.3.5 update, along with the new iMac, which turned out to be the iMac G5.

I'm always amazed how some people seem to think Apple waits for a box of CPUs then starts to design the machine around it.
  • Reply 19 of 46
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Blackcat

I'm always amazed how some people seem to think Apple waits for a box of CPUs then starts to design the machine around it.

lol, yeah. They don't...they might wait just a smidge to see if the batch they are shipped for the actual production models are working right, but for all intents and purposes the PowerBook G5 has been in the works for years, and the design is probably finished.
  • Reply 20 of 46
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

I AGREE. The celeron chip sucks. I would never own another one. A low end M chip would be the way I would want to go. The biggest problem is they are dog slow but you get what you pay for.

As far as I can tell, the crippled P4 Celeron is just about dead. The next chips to use the Celeron name will be single core versions of the lower-mid clocked of the upcoming dual core designs, In essence, this years Pentium-M will be next year's Celeron-M.