Briefly: Mac OS X 10.4.2, Thursday's iPod event, Apple stores

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Mac OS X 10.4.2 to improve widget memory management

Apple this week distributed at least two new pre-release builds of Mac OS X 10.4.2 Update, according to reports already present on the Internet. Build 8C46 reportedly made its way to developers on Thursday evening, while a prior build was said to have been distributed internally.

It's believed that development of the Tiger system update continues to approach an official release, albeit at a much slower pace than once projected.

According to reports, the latest build of the system includes two minor improvements: one to Dashboard's widget memory management and the other to iChat video conferencing reliability.

Apple holds iPod media event at sea

The France-based iPod and music media event, once believed to be the setting for new product introductions, took place this Thursday on a body of water in the heart of Paris.

The majority of the Apple France management team attended the event, set on a boat decorated with iPod balloons and other music-related propaganda, according to MacBidouille.

"News network were present, and it was quite diversified, not restricted to computer-dedicated news networks," the publication wrote in its report on the festivities. "Many of us were considering at the end that this meeting was originally the occasion to introduce a new product, such as the iPhone or something else, but for an unknown reason postponed to another date."

The latest Apple Retail news

According to ifoAppleStore, Apple is officially hiring for two new Japan stores set to open later this year in Sendai and Fukuoka.

The grand opening of the Apple's Bluewater, U.K. store is slated for this Saturday, July 9th, while the much expanded Apple Store Westchester (the first of its size in a shopping mall) is rumored to open next Saturday, July 16th, along with a new store Northbrook Court, Ill.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    fraeonefraeone Posts: 5member
    Oh thank god! I have had my Dashboard turned off for weeks because it leaks so badly. After a few days of running dashboard, it's memory usage will balloon, even when only using Apple widgets. I have seen it use hundreds of MBs of physical memory.

In the meantime I have been using Amnesty to load the occasional widget for a brief amount of time, but I really miss the dash.

Here's hoping that update will be out soon.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fraeone

Oh thank god! I have had my Dashboard turned off for weeks because it leaks so badly. After a few days of running dashboard, it's memory usage will balloon, even when only using Apple widgets. I have seen it use hundreds of MBs of physical memory. In the meantime I have been using Amnesty to load the occasional widget for a brief amount of time, but I really miss the dash. Here's hoping that update will be out soon.

How do you turn off the Dashboard?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AquaMac

How do you turn off the Dashboard?

Yeah, I'm all ears.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    This will disable dashboard

I've never done it cause I like Dashboard. MainMenu works pretty good for me. I use it instead of Onyx.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    I just don't use it, and it doesn't seem to be on the Activity Monitor list.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    somynonasomynona Posts: 40member
    Wonder when they're going to sort out Quartz 2D Extreme?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Am I the only one that has a REALLY slow dashboard? If I haven't used it in a while, I come back, and hit F12 to bring it up, it takes like 6 seconds, then doesn't come in smoothly, but roughly. And the widgets take a minute to be responsive. That kind of defeats the purpose. I'm on 10.4.1, 867mhz PowerBook G4 with 640 RAM. Shouldn't take that long to load a few mini web pages. What gives. They should renice it up or make the memory management better, hopefully that works, or something. It's getting to the point where I just don't bother with it anymore. It's quicker to use Safari. Sad.

Edit: I only have lik e5 or 6, maybe 7 or 8 widgets at any time. Calc, Weather, TV tracker, translator, dictionary, Marquis, sometimes Google maps, address book, stocks, etc. Nothing crazy. Disappointing.