Apple releases Mac OS X 10.4.2 Update

Comments

• Reply 61 of 103
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

Originally posted by g3pro

Now that I have it installed, what does "Allow nap" mean? [/B]

It alows the processor to take a break under light loads, reducing heat and power consumption. I thought that was a G5 thing though, didn't realize it was on the G4 as well.
  • Reply 62 of 103
    Quote:

Originally posted by SS3 GokouX

An updated version of WebKit was included with the update. Does it include the patches to pass the acid2 test? (I'm using the nightly build from the opensource WebKit page so I can't tell.) If it does, maybe the widget authors used non-valid code to get it to render properly, and now that Safari is rendering it correctly it renders "wrong".

Argh, the Braves. Why don't you follow a REAL team?

(Points if you can guess what team I follow.)
  • Reply 63 of 103
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eluard

Also, under 4.0 I could set the weather widget to Sydney, New South Wales, But since 4.1 it is glued to Sydney, Florida. 4.2 hasn't fixed this problem. So widgets are pretty much useless on this machine...

mate, perhaps try, in the weather widget, type 'sydney' then hit Enter, that way i always get the widget to come up with the right options for the city i'm looking for.

also works with "brisbane"<enter>, "gold coast"<enter>, "kuala lumpur"<enter> AFAIK.

i think the key is that you have to hit enter for it to do a proper search for worldwide cities and stuff.

not good for the grannies, but johnny howard's been taking care of them (off topic: the older you get you get 35% to 40% tax rebate on private health insurance ... whereas younger, healthier people are stuck with just 30% so the grannies will be alrigt, and hope i helped with your weather widgetry issues.
  • Reply 64 of 103
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mikef

Did you do a clean installation or an upgrade install?

The problems that you report, I've never seen anybody else report. You can't believe that Apple would let a very major problem such as the reply button not working exist for three releases of Tiger.

No, I admit that I haven't seen this issue mentioned by anyone else?but on the other hand plenty of people are having problems that I'm not seeing. I can certainly see that this may be an issue with my system, for idiosyncratic reasons of its own. But I don't know what it would be. I have no add on bells and whistles to Mail.app, and in installing I did an Archive and Install. Almost as good as a clean install.

(Because these things seem to be increasingly idiosyncratic I'm not expecting anyone to diagnose the problem from a distance.)

I'm a bit loathe to do a reinstall, because it would mean that I'd have to completely reinstall my TeX subsystem?and that would be a major pain.

But all in all, by the end, Panther worked. Tiger still seems just promising.
  • Reply 65 of 103
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

mate, perhaps try, in the weather widget, type 'sydney' then hit Enter, that way i always get the widget to come up with the right options for the city i'm looking for.

also works with "brisbane"<enter>, "gold coast"<enter>, "kuala lumpur"<enter> AFAIK.

i think the key is that you have to hit enter for it to do a proper search for worldwide cities and stuff.

not good for the grannies, but johnny howard's been taking care of them (off topic: the older you get you get 35% to 40% tax rebate on private health insurance ... whereas younger, healthier people are stuck with just 30% so the grannies will be alrigt, and hope i helped with your weather widgetry issues.

Sunilraman, you are a legend! That fixed that problem. (I was typing in combinations, but hadn't hit the right one.)

Thanks very much.
  • Reply 66 of 103
    Quote:

Sunilraman, you are a legend! That fixed that problem. (I was typing in combinations, but hadn't hit the right one.)

Thanks very much.

heh. cool.
  • Reply 67 of 103
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

heh. cool.

You are my hero.
  • Reply 68 of 103
    jimbo123jimbo123 Posts: 153member
    Hi all

Finding 10.4.2 more positive than 4.1. The inclusion of the widget manager superb. Safari rendering is faster but this could be to do with Airport tweaks? Mail opens up quicker and appears more responsive. On the whole I do find window machines render web pages quicker but is this to do with airport or the mac?

Dual 2Ghz

1.5G Ram

256 9650
  • Reply 69 of 103
    beigeuserbeigeuser Posts: 371member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BeigeUser

10.4.1 fixed my e-mail problems.

10.4.2 supposedly fixes the low bandwidth problems and airport reception

But iChatAV still doesn't recognize my video camera. It's a Panasonic PV-GS120 and it hasn't worked since 10.4. I think I'm going to set up a new drive with Panther on it.

Tiger has been too buggy for me.

I'm replying to myself. I found a way to fix my video camera problem. Here's a link for those that may have the same problem as me.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301852
  • Reply 70 of 103
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Anyone experiencing problems with Virtual PC 7.0.2 kernel panicing since 10.4.2 update?
  • Reply 71 of 103
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jambo

Anyone experiencing problems with Virtual PC 7.0.2 kernel panicing since 10.4.2 update?

No. Everything seems to work decent for me. I have only cranked it up twice since .4.2 and .0.2 updates though. I'll know more tonight when I have to fire it up to review a CD-Rom.
  • Reply 72 of 103
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

No. Everything seems to work decent for me. I have only cranked it up twice since .4.2 and .0.2 updates though. I'll know more tonight when I have to fire it up to review a CD-Rom.

hmm... i'm only on vpc 7.0.0 on 10.4.2

a cursory check showed no problems
  • Reply 73 of 103
    hey i think 10.4.2 fixed it so that 'show info' for disk drives on the desktop, it actually keeps the sizes accurate now. before you had to force-quit the Finder for it to refresh the "free space left" text...

edit: actually, i don't know... hmmm
  • Reply 74 of 103
    baranovichbaranovich Posts: 184member
    Anyone else notice that 10.4.2 made their system much faster? I was doing some video encoding a few nights ago using ffmpegx and it was running pretty slow. After I upgraded to 10.4.2 the encoding is going much faster.
  • Reply 75 of 103
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:

No, I admit that I haven't seen this issue mentioned by anyone else?but on the other hand plenty of people are having problems that I'm not seeing. I can certainly see that this may be an issue with my system, for idiosyncratic reasons of its own. But I don't know what it would be. I have no add on bells and whistles to Mail.app, and in installing I did an Archive and Install. Almost as good as a clean install.

(Because these things seem to be increasingly idiosyncratic I'm not expecting anyone to diagnose the problem from a distance.)

I'm a bit loathe to do a reinstall, because it would mean that I'd have to completely reinstall my TeX subsystem?and that would be a major pain.

But all in all, by the end, Panther worked. Tiger still seems just promising.

I think that with all respect, you're really off base here. As sunilraman said, there is no way Apple would let a bug that huge get by. When major problems like that pop up, you really need to do a clean install. An Archive and reinstall is not the same as a total wipe and install. Not at all.
  • Reply 76 of 103
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Any thoughts on when the full Tiger CDs will go to 10.4.2? I am waiting to upgrade until I can buy it without running software update.
  • Reply 77 of 103
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001

Any thoughts on when the full Tiger CDs will go to 10.4.2? I am waiting to upgrade until I can buy it without running software update.

I don't see why they wouldn't be available immediately from Apple. Give 'em a call.
  • Reply 78 of 103
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001

I think that with all respect, you're really off base here. As sunilraman said, there is no way Apple would let a bug that huge get by. When major problems like that pop up, you really need to do a clean install. An Archive and reinstall is not the same as a total wipe and install. Not at all.

um... i think you are referring to mikeF that said something like that

but i would recommend a total wipe and install too. additionally, after a fresh install and once you've upgraded everything to 10.4.2, create another user, and then use THAT user account for all your stuff, not the first user you created to do the install and upgrade to 10.4.2

there's no way i would have recommended 10.4.0 or 10.4.1 to any web/multimedia/iLife user that is not naturally an early adopter. but i think 10.4.2 is very close to production level, albeit clean installs are a prerequisite for a smooth transition... \
  • Reply 79 of 103
    supertedsuperted Posts: 41member
    Since going to 10.4.2 I noticed a big improvement in speed blah blah blah until I got home and found my first "bug" when I plugged in my VGA to composite adapter and found that my iBook is no longer detecting my TV as an NTSC/PAL display but as a VGA display and is therefore not displaying an image on the TV. Can anybody tell me what's going on here? It worked fine before .2.
  • Reply 80 of 103
    hmm.. 10.4.2

even with screen-spanning doctor hack,

shows up the tv through s-video fine and i have more options now for the tv display part of it: