Cholesterol and Statins

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
My blood test came back not so good:

Total Cholesterol 215

LDL 160

HDL 26

Triglycerides 153

My doctor wants me to take Vytorin (a combo of zocor and zetia), but I am nervous about it. I already have fibromyaligia so I already have muscle and bone aches and I may not be able to tell if its giving me side effects.

I have tried doing it naturally, but didn't get the results I wanted.

I currently take policosanol, but I just found out that it isnt the exact same that

was used in the Cuban Health Trials. There is a pharmacy in Australia that sells

the real deal.

I also take Fish Oils, but may switch to Flax Oil because it agress with me more

and I eat fish (canned salmon or tuna) 5 mornings a week for breakfast.

I take a multi, extra C and E, Cal/Mag, CoQ10 30 Mg, Silymarin for the liver,

pancreatin, and barley Juice Caps.

I am considering adding some things for cholesterol and the liver-

Sytrinol

Curcumin

Pantethine

Cinnamon Caps

Now, this is if i decide not to attempt to take the drug. My family wants me to

take it. My CRP level is only 1.2 and I have low blood pressure, not high,

however my low HDL's have me a little concerned.

Does anyone here have any experience with statins, or natural substitutes?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    I know that cholesterol awareness is a growing problem among Mexican immigrants.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    hardeeharharhardeeharhar Posts: 4,841member
    Take the drugs your doctor recommended, but keep him apprised of whether your muscle/bone aches increase in frequency.

Also, remember that like the effectiveness of drugs, the placebo effect can also lead to side effects that aren't physiologically relevant.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,027member
    Cholesterol of 215 may not be that bad. It is my opinion that that "you need medication if you can't get below 200" is a myth put out there by the pharm. industry.

Do you have heart disease in your family? Are you a smoker? What is your lifestyle like?

In my case, I have cholesterol that is even higher than yours...around 220-240. However, I am not a smoker and I have little heart disease in my family. Cholesterol is only one indicator, so for now I'm not doing much about it.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    I've desided not to take the drug for now.

My CRP is only 1.2

I have low blood pressure

My homocysteine levels are normal

my blood test otherwise are completely normal

My grandfather dies of congestive heart failure at 72, but he was overweight.

I am not overweight.

I am going to stick with the supplements and add a couple more.

From what I've been reading on the web, there is quite a cholesterol myth out there.

I would still like to get it to within range, though, and I will continue to try to do it naturally.

I think the problem is more with my liver so i will be looking to increase its function with some herbs.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    My father in law tried massive excercise for 30 years trying to get his HDL up, and only suceeded when taking Flax-seed oil.

My doctor told me that it is the ratio that matters, which is why my 160/32

total/HDL is still a problem. I haven't tried the flax-seed oil yet, though.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

My father in law tried massive excercise for 30 years trying to get his HDL up, and only suceeded when taking Flax-seed oil.

My doctor told me that it is the ratio that matters, which is why my 160/32

total/HDL is still a problem. I haven't tried the flax-seed oil yet, though.

I used to take flax seed oil but stopped.

I actually ordered a bottle a couple days ago, its good stuff, I will take it from now on.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by steve666

I used to take flax seed oil but stopped.

I actually ordered a bottle a couple days ago, its good stuff, I will take it from now on.

It also helps with joint stiffness, from what I hear.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001

It also helps with joint stiffness, from what I hear.

Yes, it does help somewhat. I have fibromyalgia so it should help a little.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Hey Steve take Red Yeast Rice by Nature's Plus their extended release formula in the PM. It is a natural form of a statin drug.

Link

Don't forget the minimum of 30 mg of coq10 when on a statin drug of any sort.

Fellows
  • Reply 10 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fellowship

Hey Steve take Red Yeast Rice by Nature's Plus their extended release formula in the PM. It is a natural form of a statin drug.

Link

Don't forget the minimum of 30 mg of coq10 when on a statin drug of any sort.

Fellows

Thank you. Yes, it has lovastatin in it.

That is one thing I am definitely considering but I wonder if it has the same potential side effects.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Just got in my results. I was pretty happy, since there's actually a fair amount of high-cholesterol in my family.

Total: 150

LDL: 70

HDL: 63

Forget the rest.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Just got in my results. I was pretty happy, since there's actually a fair amount of high-cholesterol in my family.

Total: 150

LDL: 70

HDL: 63

Forget the rest.

Those are great numbers-are you on a statin or did you do this naturally?

Be careful, though, too little cholesterol is also bad.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by steve666

Those are great numbers-are you on a statin or did you do this naturally?

Be careful, though, too little cholesterol is also bad.

If I'm on a statin, it's not intentional. However, I am a competitive runner and I eat a lot of fish and soy. This is the first real blood test I've ever had. I thought it would be worse, given the high cholesterol trend that seems to come straight down from my paternal relatives. So I don't really plan on switching my diet now that I got good results. (I am only 24)
  • Reply 14 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

If I'm on a statin, it's not intentional. However, I am a competitive runner and I eat a lot of fish and soy. This is the first real blood test I've ever had. I thought it would be worse, given the high cholesterol trend that seems to come straight down from my paternal relatives. So I don't really plan on switching my diet now that I got good results. (I am only 24)

Your diet and age has a lot to do with it, also the exercise.

I had low cholesterol all my life until I hit the late 30s.

Now Im eating better, but I need something to lower the numbers and raise the HDL. Im taking some natural things so hopefully they will help.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post

I know that cholesterol awareness is a growing problem among Mexican immigrants.

I agree with your statement the problem is prevailed in Asian countries like India and many more countries. Do you know SPAMLINK was come up with good clinical research on cholesterol.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    Another solution: don't have your cholesterol checked. Saves a lot of stress...

Or is a cholesterol check standard in the US??
  • Reply 17 of 24
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ArnoldMathew View Post

I agree with your statement the problem is prevailed in Asian countries like India and many more countries. Do you know ..spam link ... was come up with good clinical research on cholesterol.

Another day, another spammer.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    You would think Crestor would have enough advertising money to not spam internet message boards...
  • Reply 19 of 24
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post

You would think Crestor would have enough advertising money to not spam internet message boards...

It's all about boosting google pagerank.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steve666 View Post

I've desided not to take the drug for now.

My CRP is only 1.2

I have low blood pressure

My homocysteine levels are normal

my blood test otherwise are completely normal

My grandfather dies of congestive heart failure at 72, but he was overweight.

I am not overweight.

I am going to stick with the supplements and add a couple more.

From what I've been reading on the web, there is quite a cholesterol myth out there.

I would still like to get it to within range, though, and I will continue to try to do it naturally.

I think the problem is more with my liver so i will be looking to increase its function with some herbs.

I agree there is a myth, and it's one invented to sell drugs. Statins can have long term side effects or so I've heard. Personally I wouldn't take them unless I had a real family history and high cholesterol. Eat decently, stay in shape and get regular exams. Cholesterol of 215 is not something to panic about.