Surefire Indicator That Apple Will Soon Release New Hardware

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
It has happened everytime for the last 2-3 years. Apple releases an onslaught of software updates; THEN, the following week we see some new hardware.

Will it hold up after this weeks smattering of updates including iSync 2.1, Mac OS X 10.4.2, iPhoto 5.0.3, Airport 4.2, DVD Studio Pro 4.0.1, Final Cut Pro 5.0.2, SoundTrack Pro 1.0.1...

It clears the gates and assures the buying public that they are continuing to address these customers concerns and brings assurance that they are working for us.

Will my theory hold true? We shall see in a couple days.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 187
    timmybtimmyb Posts: 12member
    I didn't know about that. It does link with the lengthy iBook & Mini shipping times.
  • Reply 2 of 187
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Yes. Its a sure sign. The update of FCP proves that the mini will be updated...
  • Reply 3 of 187
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

The update of FCP proves that the mini will be updated...

How so? Is there something in the FCP update that references new Mac minis?
  • Reply 4 of 187
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

How so? Is there something in the FCP update that references new Mac minis?

No... he meant the iPod Mini !

• Reply 5 of 187
    Quote:

Originally posted by KingOfSomewhereHot

No... he meant the iPod Mini !

Oh!
  • Reply 6 of 187
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    What I meant is that software updates on Apples über high end professional software titles hardly signals anything about their very low end consumer machines...
  • Reply 7 of 187
    rongoldrongold Posts: 302member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

What I meant is that software updates on Apples über high end professional software titles hardly signals anything about their very low end consumer machines...

Apparently you didn't read what I had written. You just wanted to quickly jump in and discount it. Does iSync 2.1, Mac OS X 10.4.2, iPhoto 5.0.3, Airport 4.2 count as "über high end professional software titles"? And where did I say anything about "very low end consumer machines"?

Anyway, your dissing is misguided because as I said earlier, you didn't read my explanation.

If you read my post and understand what I am saying, then you can come back and fire away.
  • Reply 8 of 187
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    New Mac Mini and iBook are expected as early as next week. What will make them different from the current line is not known at this point.
  • Reply 9 of 187
    timmybtimmyb Posts: 12member
    Quote:

Originally posted by g3pro

New Mac Mini and iBook are expected as early as next week. What will make them different from the current line is not known at this point.

Is this inside knowledge, or just an opinion?

As for the difference, I don't know about the Mini but for the iBook, I think we can realistically expect a better graphics card, a larger HD, 512MB RAM as standard and bluetooth built in.
  • Reply 10 of 187
    patrik_lpatrik_l Posts: 55member
    Well, since my iMac G4 needs a new motherboard I'm hoping for a nice upgrade of the Mac mini; 1.67 GHz, 512 MB, 80 GB HD, Superdrive and Airport for the same price as the current top-model.

One can always hope.
  • Reply 11 of 187
    Quote:

Originally posted by Patrik_L

Well, since my iMac G4 needs a new motherboard I'm hoping for a nice upgrade of the Mac mini; 1.67 GHz, 512 MB, 80 GB HD, Superdrive and Airport for the same price as the current top-model.

One can always hope.

If that's the spec of the new Mac mini, then we are sure to see better PowerBooks....
  • Reply 12 of 187
    o4blackwrxo4blackwrx Posts: 383member
    Quote:

Originally posted by timmyb

I didn't know about that. It does link with the lengthy iBook & Mini shipping times.

apparently my Safari browser is messed up because this is the screen shot I get of the Mac mini when I go to the US Store and try to buy one.... (there will be no updates)

• Reply 13 of 187
    Geez, that's funny. My Safari must be messed up too because the screen I get of the mini when I go to the online store is this:

• Reply 14 of 187
    It looks like everything is same day or with in 24 hours, even the high end PowerMacs.
  • Reply 15 of 187
    Geez. They're onto us on the iBook G4 page

• Reply 16 of 187
    mynameheremynamehere Posts: 560member
    Quote:

Originally posted by g3pro

If those two are updated, then the PB may be updated as well, since the iBook can't really be updated without stepping into PB-spec territory.
  • Reply 17 of 187
    o4blackwrxo4blackwrx Posts: 383member
    DHagan4755, you are too funy. You just took my idea and ran with it. I'm glad someone else see's the humor in this like I did...
  • Reply 18 of 187
    Confirmed: Release of Intel-based Mini and iBook is imminent.

Yonah will hit the streets early, as a gesture of goodwill by Intel towards Apple. The dog-days of PPC are OVER!
  • Reply 19 of 187
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Sadly, it looks like Apple will just let the iBook and Mac mini rot until they make the Intel transition next year. Where are these great PowerPC products in the pipeline that Steve Jobs spoke of? Someone call a plumber!
  • Reply 20 of 187
    Well we know Apple will transition their low end products to Intel first, along with their laptops since they are most desperate for power. This leaves the iMac for switching to Intel later, before the Powermacs, but after the laptops and the Mini and maybe the eMac. If Apple does indeed follow this pattern, then the iMac will need at least one update before morphing into a MacIntel.

My bet is on a PPC 970mp-based iMac. Apple can make the Powermacs all dual PPC 970mp, and the iMacs single 970mp. Most of the Intel CPUs Apple will be using will all be dual core, so why not move to dual core now on as many lines as possible? Furthermore, it would pose a marketing problem if the iBook and Mini were both Yonah-based, with dual cores, and the more expensive iMacs were all stuck in the Triassic era with single core 970fx chips.

Eh, Apple probably won't do anything this cool, but it's nice to dream about.