Another iMac by end of year?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Kind of curious what everyone's feeling is on this. I finally sold some musical gear on ebay and have around $2500 so I am dying to replace my iMac G4. I really want one now, but waiting a few more months wouldn't be too hard.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Metropolis Man

Kind of curious what everyone's feeling is on this. I finally sold some musical gear on ebay and have around $2500 so I am dying to replace my iMac G4. I really want one now, but waiting a few more months wouldn't be too hard.

Unlikely - the current iMac is a very good package, the last updated made it good value compared with pretty much everything else in the range, so we won't see an update soon. The next iMac will be intel, and I certainly wouldn't expect to be seeing that this year.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    It was just updated. Buy now.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    buy
  • Reply 4 of 25
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Which iMac G4 do you have, and what are you using it for? Unless the jump to a G5 is going to produce a much "required" (as opposed to a much "desired") speed increase, just keep using the luxo-lamp, and wait for Intel macs.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    Now way, Matsu. I'm patient, but not that patient. Command and Conquer, The Sims 2, X2 the Threat, Tropico 2, and on and on. All these games cannot be played on my 800-mhz iMac G4. So I'll definitely be ordering a new iMac soon.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    Gaming is not a good reason to buy a mac, or any computer for that matter!
  • Reply 7 of 25
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Now way, Matsu. I'm patient, but not that patient. Command and Conquer, The Sims 2, X2 the Threat, Tropico 2, and on and on. All these games cannot be played on my 800-mhz iMac G4. So I'll definitely be ordering a new iMac soon.

Then buy a PC if all you care about is gaming for the short term. Seriously.

A PC the price of an iMac G5 is going to blow it out of the water for gaming. Plus you won't need to play only Mac ported versions.

I hate PCs but I also am pragmatic when it comes to gaming. Use what works and is not stupidly expensive for the power it has.

Have the G4 iMac next to it and use both. Mac for real work, PC for gaming. It's not heresy.

$2500 goes a long way on the PC side...
  • Reply 8 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

Which iMac G4 do you have, and what are you using it for? Unless the jump to a G5 is going to produce a much "required" (as opposed to a much "desired") speed increase, just keep using the luxo-lamp, and wait for Intel macs.

If you want a portable, I'd maybe agree with this. But the current iMac is a very respectable machine, and if you have any kind of investment in Mac software, you're going to want to be very cautious about being on the bleeding edge of the Intel transition. There's a good chance your current software will perform poorly under emulation, and even some chance it won't work at all. There's also no guarantee that the software you want will make the Intel-native transition immediately.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    I have probably $1000 invested in Mac games, so to the people who recommend getting a PC for gaming...are you kidding? I don't need the best gaming machine. I want a very competent gaming machine. And I don't think anyone in their right mind can say a new iMac stuffed with 2GB of RAM isn't a competent gaming machine. Can't wait to make the order.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Can't wait to make the order.

Well then make it then. You've obviously made up your mind.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    Have no fear. I was originally curious if people thought there would be a Rev C iMac G5 before the Intels came out. If a majority of people felt there may be another iMac by the end of the year, I would be willing to wait, but it doesn't sound likely.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    I highly doubt it. I myself am wondering about wether to get an iMac G5 or a PowerBook G4. I need the portability, but I have no desktop at home so I also need some power.

Ah decisions, decisions...
  • Reply 13 of 25
    I think there's a decent chance that there will be another new G5 iMac before they put Intel Inside. The G5 is a good chip in the desktops, and we know there's plenty of room to take the G5 beyond the iMac's current 2 Ghz.

The G4 on the other hand, has nowhere to go right now. I bet they'll try to replace every G4 with an Intel as soon as possible.

I just don't think there will be an iMac update very soon.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

If you want a portable, I'd maybe agree with this. But the current iMac is a very respectable machine, and if you have any kind of investment in Mac software, you're going to want to be very cautious about being on the bleeding edge of the Intel transition. There's a good chance your current software will perform poorly under emulation, and even some chance it won't work at all. There's also no guarantee that the software you want will make the Intel-native transition immediately.

Yes, but it depends on his current use... It really doesn't matter how competent the iMac G5 is, my point is that if its performance increase is not really needed, then an upgrade is not warranted. And it's obvious from the original poster's subsequent posts, that $2500 for any computer is an idiotic waste of money -- he should get himself a console...
  • Reply 15 of 25
    Quote:

Yes, but it depends on his current use... It really doesn't matter how competent the iMac G5 is, my point is that if its performance increase is not really needed, then an upgrade is not warranted. And it's obvious from the original poster's subsequent posts, that $2500 for any computer is an idiotic waste of money -- he should get himself a console...

1. A performance increase IS needed for me. I stated that I wanted to play some current games that I cannot with my current rig.

2. I mentioned I already own $1000 worth of Mac games. Why would a console be entering my mind? Plus, most if not all the games I play are not console games?Sims, SimCity, Rise of Nations, Tropico, Railroad Tycoon, Starcraft, Diablo II.

Finally, why is $2500 for a computer "idiotic?" How much did you spend on yours? $1500? $2000? Is there a magic number for you where a computer purchase makes sense and anything more is idiotic? I mean if you have to know it's not like all I'll be doing is gaming. I've got a family so creating DVD's and slideshows sounds like fun as well as messing with Garage Band.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, Matsu, but I feel you crossed the line.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    Quote:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion...

No, everyone is entitled to my opinion, when I see fit share it, so show a little more gratitude!

Assuming you already own those games, then they run on the G4, do they not? Ergo, a G5 is not neccessary in order to play those games, hence, a new computer, any computer, is not needed for your current collection.

If it's other games you want, then other platforms are perfectly viable, so which give the best bang for buck? Consoles win that hands down. A cheap PC follows; the mac is nowhere on the map as games machine. Which is not to say you can't play games on the mac. The mac library is perfectly adequate for the occasional distraction -- for those who might play a game on the mac because they can, but for whom it isn't their raison d'etre.

2500 on a computer with which to play games is idiotic, sorry, but unless you're made of money, it is. And even if you are made of money, you should be using it on some form of social interaction, don'tcha think? Maybe get a date, some priorities, a clue?
  • Reply 17 of 25
    Quote:

No, everyone is entitled to my opinion, when I see fit share it, so show a little more gratitude!

Assuming you already own those games, then they run on the G4, do they not? Ergo, a G5 is not neccessary in order to play those games, hence, a new computer, any computer, is not needed for your current collection.

If it's other games you want, then other platforms are perfectly viable, so which give the best bang for buck? Consoles win that hands down. A cheap PC follows; the mac is nowhere on the map as games machine. Which is not to say you can't play games on the mac. The mac library is perfectly adequate for the occasional distraction -- for those who might play a game on the mac because they can, but for whom it isn't their raison d'etre.

2500 on a computer with which to play games is idiotic, sorry, but unless you're made of money, it is. And even if you are made of money, you should be using it on some form of social interaction, don'tcha think? Maybe get a date, some priorities, a clue?

Play nice Matsu! Metro Man can spend "HIS" money how "HE" sees fit.

I to agree that spending $2500 on a computer for gaming is a little extreme but then again my fiancé thought spending $2500 on a G5 tower to record my crappy music is idiotic too! Different strokes people.... Different strokes!

Anyway, this thread looks like a flame war to me so back on topic.... Buy now, unless you can wait the 9+ months for the intels.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    It sounds like you already know what you want, with not being able to play the games you want on your current iMac. Something to think about however, is that IBM just announced those new dual-core 970s, which may find their way into the iMac. Maybe Apple will configure the Powermacs with twin dual-core 970s, and make the iMacs single dual-core 970.

A PPC 970mp-based iMac would totally rock and would essentially perform like the current dual CPU towers. It would have staying power and enable you to wait until the second revision MacIntels before switching to Intel.

Unfortunately, Apple usually neuters their iMacs and so they probably won't be putting any of the dual core 970s in them. But it's nice to think about a 970mp iMac.

Anyhow, since you use your Mac for gaming, and your current G4 iMac is cramping your style, I'd say just go for it. These current iMacs aren't bad computers, even though Apple tries to make them suck.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    scepticsceptic Posts: 37member
    I seriously doubt there will ever be a 970MP in an iMac.

The current iMac is good value. If I was in the market, I'd get the mid range 17incher.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    Well, get a load of this ? I walk into the local Apple retailer today with credit card in hand to purchase a new iMac, er..I mean an idiotic waste of money, and the general manager tells me to wait until Tuesday (tomorrow). Hmmm. That was interesting. He shrugged his shoulders kind of nonchalantly and said, "I could be wrong."