Buy last of PowerPCs or first of Intels?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Would you rather buy the last PowerPC Mac or the first Intel Mac? Explain your answer in 500 words or less.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Would you rather buy the last PowerPC Mac or the first Intel Mac? Explain your answer in 500 words or less.

First generation iMac

First generation iBook

First generation iPod

First generation YNI

vs.

Pismo

etc.
  • Reply 2 of 27
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Last generation PPC. I'm gonna buy a few dual-dual G5s once they are being replaced by intel chips. Those bastards are gonna be extremely powerful, and definitely worth the price (including old-hardware discount).
  • Reply 3 of 27
    timotimo Posts: 353member
    I'd probably rather buy whatever's fastest
  • Reply 4 of 27
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by g3pro

Last generation PPC. I'm gonna buy a few dual-dual G5s once they are being replaced by intel chips. Those bastards are gonna be extremely powerful, and definitely worth the price (including old-hardware discount).

I plan this time next year to buy the fastest PM availible. then 2-3 years down the line, sell it for big bucks(~75% of sticker price) to still PPC reliant shops and grab a top of the line Intel
  • Reply 5 of 27
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    dbl post
  • Reply 6 of 27
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    First Intel. Why? Support for the hardware won't be dumped in a few years like with the PPCs. And running Windows and using any damned PC parts I want.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    mynameheremynamehere Posts: 560member
    Neither...2ng gen intel
  • Reply 8 of 27
    danmacmandanmacman Posts: 773member
    I don't want legacy hardware, plus I am drooling over the thought of a dual core Yonah widescreen PowerBook.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    There are a lot of apps that will never be released in x86 form. You could call them 'vintage' or whatever, but the point is that I have thousands of dollars of vintage apps. So I will be buying some form of PPC mac in the next few months. Probably an iMac, since they're pretty cheap, and when it comes down to it, a dual-dual G5 is way more power than I need.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    First of Intel, last of PPC won't be worth the time, by the time the first of the Intels hit the shelves. Let's face it, Intel product is ready now, probably all four major computer product groups. Intel is a very robust platform, lotsa dev work into it already (that Apple didn't even have to do).

It's the 3rd party software that needs some time...

I'd be surprised if Apple didn't carefully select their updates between now and then in order to make sure that when Intel macs came out, they were clearly ahead of outgoing PPC macs in the same product class.

Now they will stagger the release of Intel macs, so this isn't exactly clean, but I say if the mac you're looking for comes out in Intel, get it if and when you need it. Same with PPC.

My first gen 12"PB is still going strong, so I won't be changing to another PPC product anytime soon -- nothing it can give that I'm not doing now.

Intel, on the other hand will solve some headaches for me. Currently my workplace is a strictly Windows environ. Getting my workmail involves a lot of forwarding, and I can't access the shared volumes because the techs wonh't set it up -- they will if I get a windows machine. I've been too lazy to install Virtual PC. Having Windows and Mac on the same machine would be a big plus -- I would have been seriously looking at a PC otherwise... I'm just not doing enough of the "artsy" stuff anymore -- though I still enjoy writing on the mac...

Not that OSX isn't very compelling, but work is work. I suspect Apple will be able to pick up (or keep) a lot of customers like me...

As for the vintage app scenario -- I wonder how truly useful a 'vintage PPC' mac will be in that scenario. I suspect that some OS9.x booting machines will be guarded gems for a few segments, but anyone who has built a OSX app worth any time will most likely build it for OSX intel, and even if they don't, Apple's got ya covered...

I think that if you're still hanging on to some classic OS9 apps, it's time to look for alternatives.
  • Reply 11 of 27
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mynamehere

Neither...2ng gen intel

That's my pick too, but it wasn't on the poll.

Well, first gen Powermac, since it'll qualify as a 3rd Gen Intel by that point. \
  • Reply 12 of 27
    wingnutwingnut Posts: 197member
    Well, I bought my Dual G5 a week before the announcement, so it might be a while before any changes occur.

If I had to chose, I'd have to wait and see if the Intel systems have DRM, and if so, how annoying the technology is. It's not that I'm doing something illegal, but if it starts messing with my legit MP3 collection, then I wouldn't be too eager to buy the Intel setup.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    I am planning to switch to Apple PCs (iBook) as fast the intel laptops come out from Apple. I would have had switched at the end of this summer if they were not switching but I am happy they are, as it makes the attempt a lot cheaper if I decide iit was a bad idea. I know at least 3 people that will be getting Apple PCs now.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    Just got myself a 12-inch iBook, I bet it should be the last generation PPC iBook.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    jimdreamworxjimdreamworx Posts: 1,095member
    Last generation PowerMac. Gotta make sure Adobe works well before my creative types become Apple's beta testers for Intel.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    Wow I was surprised to see the results of this poll. The PowerPC is/was a very powerful chip, but if Apple is going completely Intel I see no reason to invest in obsolete technology. I think the first generation Intel Macs are gonna be amazing. Apple has a lot of catching up to do in the hardware market and I don't doubt that they'll take advantage of the switch to gain some ground.

For me its either an Intel PowerMac... or an Intel PowerBook... I'll have to cross that bridge when I get there.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Yeah, this confirms a suspicion that I had. When the Intel announcement was first made, everyone focused on how the PowerPC Macs would be obsolete and no one would buy them. But when I think about my own situation, I have absolutely no interest in being first-to-Intel. Even assuming the first Intels are a lot faster, I don't need bleeding-edge speed anyway. I'm much more interested in software compatibility and general stability.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Apple won't release it unless the OS and 1st party wares are bullet proof.

Expect Rosetta to be solid but slow, expect the performance of the Intel macs to make up some of that deficit, but not all of it.

I just don't think it's worth intentionally setting out to buy a "last of the PPC macs" -- If you own any PPC mac, that's good enough. If you're relying on anything Apple/Adobe/Macromedia/M$ make, you'll be equally well taken care of on the Intel product.

Apple won't let the first generation of Intel macs come in at a deficit to their last gen of PPC product. Won't happen, no matter what they have to do to both the Intel and PPC stuff.

And, if your app support goes to shat, you can always install windows on your Intel mac, get a Win version and enjoy the compatibility!
  • Reply 19 of 27
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    Quote:

I'm much more interested in software compatibility and general stability.

While software compatibility maybe an arguable point, general stability will only improve on Intels. As far as personal computer hardware goes, nobody can compete with Intel.

I just hope that Apple will use actual Intel motherboards rather than some Taiwanese sweatshop knockoffs.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by skatman

While software compatibility maybe an arguable point, general stability will only improve on Intels.

Stability isn't a product of hardware alone. OS X has been run on millions of PowerPC Macs out in the real world, and has had several years and dozens of upgrades to fix problems. Not so for OS X on Intels. There will certainly be some problems right out of the gate.

I'm sure this is a good move for Apple in the long run, if the roadmaps for G5 vs. Intel are that different. But there are bound to be some growing pains.