Apple updates Mac mini, doubles RAM

Comments

• Reply 21 of 87
    katyakatya Posts: 6member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Robin Hood

The only time you might need a modem is if you live in a 3rd world country, in which case you're screwed anyway.

I live in a third world country and most of us now are actually using broadband internet. In fact, a lot of restaurants/coffee shops/internet cafes now have WiFi to cater to those who use laptops.
  • Reply 22 of 87
    xflarexflare Posts: 199member
    I think amongst the people who the Mac mini is aimed at, an internal modem would have been far more useful than the bluetooth module. The modem should be standard and the BT module build to order.

Some ISP's have dialup back if there are problems with broadband too.
  • Reply 23 of 87
    gamringamrin Posts: 114member
    Hmm. Playing around on the store, you can get everything on a high-end Mac mini today for about $95 less than what you could get yesterday. That part's cool. However, the Mac mini today is still just as slow as it was yesterday. There's the crux.
  • Reply 24 of 87
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    It's a decent improvement on what is basically a new product.

The RAM upgrade is the best part - makes it cheaper to get a Gig. The processor in the top 2 models is very close to the 1.5 I have in my PB and I have no complaints - even when it's hooked up to the 23" display.

The simple fact is that the Mac mini is an entry level computer and should be compared to other entry level computers - especially those that use "shared memory".

As for modems, not everyone can afford DSL or cable. Not everyone is in an are where it's available. My sister lives just outside of Houston and dial up is all that is available. Houston, by the way, is not a 3rd world country - unless you live in the wrong part of town.

Just remember that the Mac mini is an entry level computer for those looking for the Mac experience - don't try to make an iMac or PM out of it.
  • Reply 25 of 87
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:

Originally posted by vinney57

Oh for goodness sake grow up. What did you expect 6 months before the entire 'Book and Mini lines go Intel? Hmm lets spend pointless millions on retooling the consumer lines instead of concentrating on the most important hardware shift in the company's history. I don't think so.

Um, excuse me but the iBook actually got upgraded today with a Core Image compatible GPU, a faster Superdrive and a 100GB hard drive option. The Mac mini got none of these things. The hardware shift to Intel didn't stop them from upgrading the iBook. That's my whole point.
  • Reply 26 of 87
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mikef

If they're selling (and very well by the sounds of it) in their first generation configuration, why would Apple incur expenses to update them?

If they were selling so well then why does Apple have sooooo much excess stock of them that they have to skip updating the logicboard (which they did with the iBook) and just add on options to move existing inventory? I doubt very much there will be an Intel based Mac mini. I hope there is but I'm sure as hell not going to wait around another six months.
  • Reply 27 of 87
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Well I just dictated my Mac Mini Middle model + wireless keyboard and mouse + 20" display + Airport Express to the sexy sounding Swede at the Apple store (store.apple.com won´t let me place my order)

• Reply 28 of 87
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Well I just dictated my Mac Mini Middle model + wireless keyboard and mouse + 20" display + Airport Express to the sexy sounding Swede at the Apple store (store.apple.com won´t let me place my order)

Does she come with the package, or is that build-to-order as well?
  • Reply 29 of 87
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    Its hard to move forward when your 2 cpu makers dont. Nice to add the features but the G4 is is a old slow cpu thats stuck. The Intel move was a good one by Apple. The mac mini still suffers from a pos videochip.
  • Reply 30 of 87
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

So let the 1% (or whatever it is) of people who need a modem for faxing pay for it, why should everybody be forced to buy a modem when the majority simply have no use for one? Or just get something like j2 fax, which integrates fully into OS X and gives you a dedicated fax number, and lets you send and receive faxes and voicemail.

Have you beeen outside a city lately? most small towns and farm communities have no wired broadband, so dial up is their only access, and it is nice to have a modem around when my cable modem craps out, and all the APs arround me are driven by the same ISP, CABLES OUT!, oh well, I can still get my e-mail.
  • Reply 31 of 87
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1984

Um, excuse me but the iBook actually got upgraded today with a Core Image compatible GPU, a faster Superdrive and a 100GB hard drive option. The Mac mini got none of these things.

The more I think about it, the more I am convinced that leaving the Mac mini with a non-programmable GPU in this update, means that something is wrong here with the mini.
  • Reply 32 of 87
    Quote:

Originally posted by mikef

If they're selling (and very well by the sounds of it) in their first generation configuration, why would Apple incur expenses to update them?

Bingo!
  • Reply 33 of 87
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1984

I'm ashamed to be a Mac user. I think its time Steve Jobs stepped down. This is awful.

Six months later and the only things they changed were things the user could change on their own. Ridiculous. It has the same GPU as before so still is not Core Image compliant. The Superdrive is the same one as before without DL support which you get in the eMac and iMac. No 100GB hard drive option when you build-to-order either.

Folks, this is the end of the Mac mini. They treated the Cube this way just before killing it off.

This is exactly what you posted at macrumors.
  • Reply 34 of 87
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

Have you beeen outside a city lately? most small towns and farm communities have no wired broadband, so dial up is their only access, and it is nice to have a modem around when my cable modem craps out, and all the APs arround me are driven by the same ISP, CABLES OUT!, oh well, I can still get my e-mail.

So if you foresee travelling in areas or countries where only dialup is available, fork out the $29 for a modem, but don't make the rest of us buy a modem if we don't need it. Besides, the Mac mini is not a laptop.

And if you travel with a laptop, why not get a cell phone with 3G or GPRS and bluetooth? All the Apple laptops have bluetooth as standard (even the iBook now), so it's beyond me who would need a modem, unless it is for faxing (that is a valid point, and I actually used to keep one machine for faxing). I have been travelling around Europe from time to time, mostly business trips, and I've never found the need to use dialup in years. And where no broadband was available, I used my cell phone, which is just as fast as dialup and works anywhere, even in the middle of nowhere.
  • Reply 35 of 87
    Quote:

Originally posted by wilco

This is exactly what you posted at macrumors.

I don't know the details of his/her case, but I would be surprised if (s)he is under restriction to post wherever (s)he likes the same message. Anyway, 1984 raises a very valid point. The Mac mini update is very problematic and no one knows why.
  • Reply 36 of 87
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

And if you travel with a laptop, why not get a cell phone with 3G or GPRS and bluetooth? All the Apple laptops have bluetooth as standard (even the iBook now), so it's beyond me who would need a modem, unless it is for faxing (that is a valid point, and I actually used to keep one machine for faxing). I have been travelling around Europe from time to time, mostly business trips, and I've never found the need to use dialup in years. And where no broadband was available, I used my cell phone, which is just as fast as dialup and works anywhere, even in the middle of nowhere.

Damn, must be nice to have the money for all that 3G gear to use with your laptop, and then pay for the airtime.

But then, what you're talking about is more what the business traveler would be hauling around and needing. But, they should be using Powerbooks anyway (unless they don't care about what they look like opening a white ibook in a meeting). The general traveler doesn't need fancy Wifi or hooks into his cell phone. They just want to dial-up, get email, and be off.
  • Reply 37 of 87
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

I don't know the details of his/her case, but I would be surprised if (s)he is under restriction to post wherever (s)he likes the same message. Anyway, 1984 raises a very valid point. The Mac mini update is very problematic and no one knows why.

Its problematic because people expect the world for $500, and then get pissed off when they don't get it.

Hey, again, its apple. Why you people expected any different from a company that does this ALL THE TIME is beyond me. You all make it sound like Apple's coming up to you, slapping you in the face, calling you a pagan, kicking you in the groin, and running away with your lunch money. Geesh.
  • Reply 38 of 87
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    This was a good update. It has only been six months, but Apple wanted to make configurations available that would make the Mac Mini better suited out-of-the box, for a lot of its buyers. People will now have a much better experience with an acceptable amount of memory, and the display models at the Apple Store will be more impressive.

The dropping of the modem on the upper-end models bothers me a bit. I sometimes use a Mac to fax, and I also have back-up dial-up, if my DSL goes down. Furthermore, 50 percent of Americans use dial-up. I hope there doesn't end up too many people who buy one of the upper-end Mac Minis, and then get home to find there is no modem.

Otherwise, a smart update by Apple. A much better value Mini, and who can argue with getting more?
  • Reply 39 of 87
    Quote:

Originally posted by Louzer

Damn, must be nice to have the money for all that 3G gear to use with your laptop, and then pay for the airtime.

Even the phone I bought my mother 2 years ago supports GPRS at 57kbps. It works anywhere. How much did it cost? $99, with no monthly subscription, and already including $99 in call credit. For checking email, it's perfectly fine (just hook it up to your iBook or Mac mini or whatever).

But really all this is besides the point. My point is that the majority of people won't need the modem, so why should it be included? I'd rather have 512MB RAM as standard instead of a modem. Those that need a modem can add one for 29 bucks...
  • Reply 40 of 87
    Quote:

Originally posted by Louzer

Hey, again, its apple. Why you people expected any different from a company that does this ALL THE TIME is beyond me.

Think again. What happened with the mini is a first in the recent Apple history.

Quote:

You all make it sound like Apple's coming up to you, slapping you in the face, calling you a pagan, kicking you in the groin, and running away with your lunch money. Geesh.

Nice one. Still laughing.