iPod chip supplier hints at upcoming plans

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Following the release of financial results from its second fiscal quarter, PortalPlayer hinted at a few of its forthcoming music player technologies and release dates to analysts and the media.

For its June quarter, iPod chip supplier PortalPlayer announced a profit of $6.3 million, or $0.25 per diluted share, on revenues of $44.6 million. The results rose sharply from its year-ago quarter, in which the company reported a $880,000 loss.

In its announcement, the company hinted at a few plans for the second half of the year.

"We have completed the design win activity for our customers' exciting new models intended to ship in the second half of 2005. In addition, we worked with the supply chain to prepare our operations for significant demand in the second half of the year," said Gary Johnson, president and chief executive officer of PortalPlayer. "During the second quarter, we also accelerated our investment in innovative wireless technologies that we believe will help fuel our growth in 2006 and beyond."

Johnson went on to say that revenues for PortalPlayer's third quarter of 2005 are likely to benefit from new flash-based chip designs. The company currently supplies Apple with controller chips for its hard disk drive (HDD)-based players, while Sigmatel is responsible for the chips inside the flash-based iPod shuffle.

According to a research note released today by American Technology Research analyst Shaw Wu, PortalPlayer may have secured a contract with Apple for a 2GB iPod mini that would use flash memory as opposed to a HDD. The analyst believes such a player could debut sometime later this year.

Based on Wu's checks throughout the industry as well as recent comments made by PortalPlayer of a late production ramp in September, the analyst believes new iPods including color iPod minis, higher capacity flash-based iPods, and a video capable iPod will not ship until the October time frame.

Last year Apple held a music-related media event in October to introduce iPods capable of storing and displaying photos. A supporting version of iTunes was also unveiled at the event. It's likely that Apple will follow a similar iPod release schedule this year in order to deliver products that are ripe for the holiday shopping season.

Wu, who covers both Apple and PortalPlayer for AmTech Research, estimates that Apple will ship 7.1 million iPods during PortalPlayer's third fiscal quarter, of which he believes 4 million will be HDD players.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    2gb mini = 500 songs. sounds good, but wheres the 8gb or 10gb???

<edit> Just an after thought... inst Apple having troble selling the 6gb... wont this take away from the 4gb???
  • Reply 2 of 13
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    It depends on their marketing. If Apple feels that there is more demand for a given player and that there isn't room for both of them, the they will either kill the least fit product or improve it too.

What I tend to find interesting is the difference in what I sometimes read on Apple related forums and what I see in public. For example a lot of techies say that the iPod shuffle is a dead product, yet I see a fair few people using them. The people using them tend to be in the gym, running or doing some other sport.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by ajmas

It depends on their marketing. If Apple feels that there is more demand for a given player and that there isn't room for both of them, the they will either kill the least fit product or improve it too.

What I tend to find interesting is the difference in what I sometimes read on Apple related forums and what I see in public. For example a lot of techies say that the iPod shuffle is a dead product, yet I see a fair few people using them. The people using them tend to be in the gym, running or doing some other sport.

Apple is selling 1 million shuffles a month...

-Phil
  • Reply 4 of 13
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    Quote:

Apple is selling 1 million shuffles a month...

Hadn't realised. Shows that the /. crowd just don't understand the general public when it comes to technology.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Hadn't realised. Shows that the /. crowd just don't understand the general public when it comes to technology.

Tell me something I don't know. Slashdotters are engineers, not sales & marketing people. They don't see the forest for the trees.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

....What I tend to find interesting is the difference in what I sometimes read on Apple related forums and what I see in public. For example a lot of techies say that the iPod shuffle is a dead product, yet I see a fair few people using them. The people using them tend to be in the gym, running or doing some other sport.

are you saying that techies are fat slobs?
  • Reply 7 of 13
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by w_parietti22

2gb mini = 500 songs. sounds good, but wheres the 8gb or 10gb???

<edit> Just an after thought... inst Apple having troble selling the 6gb... wont this take away from the 4gb???

maybe the iPod mini will go 2gb flash and 8gb hard disk

• Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

maybe the iPod mini will go 2gb flash and 8gb hard disk

it could work... look at the difference between the 20gb and the 60gb.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    DAMNIT!!!!!!

i JUST bought a 60gb iPod and had it for about 3 days now!!!

WHY, WHY, WHY couldn't I have read this report BEFORE i ordered this!!!

From what I'm gathering... by holiday shopping season the iPod will be VIDEO capable!!!!

I'm taking this shit back tonight!!!
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Well, here is an interesting story about the un-likelyhood of an iPod video and some dis-advantages I didn't consider. Maybe I'm wrong and read into this story incorrectly?

http://www.podq.com/2005/07/21/video...n-examination/

Although, in contrast to what this story mentioned about the size of the screen on the actual iPod... I did find a cool little accessory to watch video content stored on your ipod that could easily be used to watch video. Its a 4" screen with a dock below the screen that you hook your ipod up to it the accessory locates any video files on your ipod allowing you to watch it on the screen. If I can find the link again I'll post it.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Here it is.... iPod Video before the video iPod!

http://www.nyko.com/nyko/products/?i=36
  • Reply 12 of 13
    reidreid Posts: 190member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BEatMaKeR

Here it is.... iPod Video before the video iPod!

http://www.nyko.com/nyko/products/?i=36

Well, that's pretty cool. I wonder if it's real...
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Reid

Well, that's pretty cool. I wonder if it's real...

verry interesting...

-Phil