New Apple Application Called Apple Photo Pro Revealed

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I have recently seen mentioning (Hark!) of two new programs in an Adobe related survey at http://www.gmi-mr.com/

The first is for an upcoming release of Adobe Photoshop CS3, complete with feature list.

Secondly, (and more importantly) is the mention of Apple's Photo Pro software, also complete with feature list and even a photo of the box it will be shipped in.

The paqe in question is at: http://www.gmi-mr.com/se_images/203319-130.HTML

The text for the page, is:

----------------------------------------------

\t\tAdobe Photoshop CS3

Photoshop CS3 is the newest version of the industry standard in digital image editing. The tool that professionals rely on for the best possible results, Photoshop provides the broadest and most detailed control over and enhancement of digital images. It allows you to maximize your creativity, enhance and edit photographs, create complex designs and easily manage your library of photos, graphics and other design assets.

New in Photoshop CS3:

#

\tGreater flexibility with filters and adjustments that stay live and editable.

#

\tBetter project management with the enhanced Adobe Bridge, now with lightning-fast searching, intuitive image sorting and comparison, and offline image browsing.

#

\tMaximum image quality faster than ever with Camera Raw, featuring new, built-in, discrete correction of shadows and highlights, and non-destructive editing of even JPEG and TIFF images.

#

\tA simpler, more intuitive interface that puts the right tools at your fingertips, including an integrated Adjustment Gallery and improved palette management.

#

\tMore natural painting and drawing, with a canvas you can now rotate as freely and easily as hand drawing on paper.

#

\tComprehensive, easier animation development, with new rotoscoping features, including the ability to import QuickTime video and image sequences, and paint cells over time with the help of the advanced Animation palette.

#

\tNext-generation, perspective-based editing with the enhanced Vanishing Point, letting you paint and wrap objects onto multiple surfaces, measure distances and export to CAD applications.

#

\tMore information from your images, with new measurement features that enable you to establish a scale within an image, measure distance and statistical values, and export data to a spreadsheet program.

Apple Photo Pro

Photo Pro is a breakthrough in digital photography workflow. It delivers a sophisticated new digital photography solution designed for serious photographers. Photo Pro provides the essential tools that photographers need and streamlines the art of digital photography without the complexity and breadth of all-in-one professional compositing software. With Photo Pro, you'll spend more time focused on your art from capture to print. Photo Pro includes fast one-click import from cameras and cards, high-quality integrated camera raw processing, innovative tools for selecting, comparing, and refining your best shots, and unmatched contact sheet creation and multi-image output capabilities.

Key features include:

Import

- Control metadata on import (batch re-name, add copyrights, etc.)

- One click import

- Automatic backup to secondary location

Manage

- Loupe & compare

- Compare/refine

- Lights out viewing

- Rapid image browsing (performance)

Process

- Multiple RAW settings per image

- High-quality integrated camera raw processing

- Unified Raw, JPEF, and TIFF processing controls

- Comprehensive camera support

Print

- Customizable nameplates on all selected output

- Automated multi-page prints

- Flexible contact sheet creation

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    Is this Apple's rumoured Photoshop competition? I'm game...
  • Reply 2 of 25
    Whoa, good find (if it's real).
  • Reply 3 of 25
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Looks less like a Photoshop competitor, and more like iPhoto on steroids - it's a photo management app, not a photo editing app.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Looks less like a Photoshop competitor, and more like iPhoto on steroids - it's a photo management app, not a photo editing app.

For now ...
  • Reply 5 of 25
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    It does say:

Quote:

...refining your best shots...

Not exactly a direct competitor to Photoshop but certainly something that might alleviate the need for Photoshop for everybody. The same way the current iPhoto makes Photoshop unnecessary for the simplest operations.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    This was almost certainly going to be released one day...I mean, Apple wouldn't just lay CoreImage and then sit on it for years.

iPhoto '05 already makes use of CoreImage...I couldn't imagine Apple not taking photo editing a step further.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr Beardsley

For now ...

For now indeed. CoreImage is known for it's real-time filters (provided you got a card that support programmable vertex shaders), but there's also lesser known features such drawing brushes (these can be seen in some of the developer app examples and iMaginator).

I wouldn't see this app become a Photoshop-like app...I'm fairly certain it'll remain a photo management app with some powerful editing features. But I can eventually see Apple release a full-featured image compositing app as CoreImage matures.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    very likely false.

Adobe ships new versions every 18 months and CS2 Photoshop just came out.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    formerlurkerformerlurker Posts: 2,686member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

very likely false.

I dunno... this isn't exactly an anonymous photo posted at a forum. Why would GMI put a fake page on their website?

Unless... SCARECROW is really their webmaster...

• Reply 10 of 25
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FormerLurker

I dunno... this isn't exactly an anonymous photo posted at a forum. Why would GMI put a fake page on their website?

Unless... SCARECROW is really their webmaster...

You need to back up to the GMI-MR homepage. It seems that the linked page was part of a survey to test reaction to two products. MR ... get it? Market Research! This kind of work does not require that all products being tested be real. What this means is that Apple Photo Pro is not quite fake, but it is not real either. We don't know who commissioned the survey. Apple may have done it, but so too may have Adobe. Some third party may have done it.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    formerlurkerformerlurker Posts: 2,686member
    eh, perhaps.... but the IMPORT -> MANAGE -> PROCESS -> PRINT feature taglines are dead-on for Apple Marketing.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    rob010rob010 Posts: 10member
    Very Interesting

Can't wait for it

Apple Photo Pro

• Reply 13 of 25
    cesarcesar Posts: 102member
    apple, as other any company, needs to find ways to get more revenue and expand it's market share.

I guess apple will do something in the Pro-photo market, but I do not think this is for real, it would be down by now...
  • Reply 14 of 25
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I hope NOT. I just want iPhoto to get better at management, for example, to handle movies better. I was thrilled when it they added movies to iPhoto. Now they just need to improve how they are handled.

Like it or not, Apple is starting to make ALL the apps we use. Look at your Dock. My Dock is almost all just Apple apps. Someday maybe even the blue W will be out of there and replaced with Pages. Xfactor will be the only non-Apple app! I don't know if that's good. But I don't think so. Not healthy.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SCARECROW

New in Photoshop CS3:

#

\tGreater flexibility with filters and adjustments that stay live and editable.

#

\tBetter project management with the enhanced Adobe Bridge, now with lightning-fast searching, intuitive image sorting and comparison, and offline image browsing.

#

\tMaximum image quality faster than ever with Camera Raw, featuring new, built-in, discrete correction of shadows and highlights, and non-destructive editing of even JPEG and TIFF images.

#

\tA simpler, more intuitive interface that puts the right tools at your fingertips, including an integrated Adjustment Gallery and improved palette management.

#

\tMore natural painting and drawing, with a canvas you can now rotate as freely and easily as hand drawing on paper.

#

\tComprehensive, easier animation development, with new rotoscoping features, including the ability to import QuickTime video and image sequences, and paint cells over time with the help of the advanced Animation palette.

#

\tNext-generation, perspective-based editing with the enhanced Vanishing Point, letting you paint and wrap objects onto multiple surfaces, measure distances and export to CAD applications.

#

\tMore information from your images, with new measurement features that enable you to establish a scale within an image, measure distance and statistical values, and export data to a spreadsheet program.

That sounds like the new features for PS CS2
  • Reply 16 of 25
    I think Photo Pro would do well, but it's not in competition with PS.

I am defiantly excited to hear about the animation feature in PS. If it's true, this will be a very welcome addition. Believe it or not, apps like toon boom and animo are not well suited for animators. for years we have had to load each scan one at a time to cut out and color cells. I've used Painter before but the latest version has gone too far with the natural media simulation.

BTW does anyone know of an existing app that allows you to open/ create a QT movie and paint/layer one frame at at time?
  • Reply 17 of 25
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Basic hack-the-URL reveals:

http://www.gmi-mr.com/se_images/203319-131.HTML

My POV: genuine Adobe market research, unverifiable product. If it's not real then someone at Adobe is real Apple marketing and product geek.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Sorry, the boxes don't look very genuine at all.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    I'm far from a pro - just a grandfather with 4,000+ pics in iPhoto. At the present time I'm using PhotoShop Elements 3 to clean up old pics that were scanned in, plus red eye correction (it's better than the iPhoto option).

What I would love to see is the ability to archive some of the pictures in iPhoto. Compress them (if possible) and transfer them to a different file ("Archive" listed right under Library) so they are not on the main (Library) screen.

As for additional features I believe that it might be interesting to see Apple and Adobe work together to produce an app that includes the best of Elements 3 and the innovation that Apple could produce. While it may be painful for Apple to share the revenues from a joint app it would allow them to bring the product to market faster. It would also allow for all of the older filters to be brought up to 10.3 standards at a minimum - but most likely to Tiger specs.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mekhanes

BTW does anyone know of an existing app that allows you to open/ create a QT movie and paint/layer one frame at at time?

Maybe StudioArtist will fill your needs?

http://www.synthetik.com/