OS X Tiger's SLOOOOOOOW Internet

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

Let's hold off on the squabbling and address the DNS issue please.

What DNS issue? The guy can reinstall OSX and it will still be slow. There is nothing to discuss here, OSX is slow for surfing. I don't expect anyone to take my word for it, so here is a simple test. Download the Ubuntu Linux Live CD and compare it for yourself.
  • Reply 22 of 41
    kwsanderskwsanders Posts: 327member
    OS X is not slow for surfing. It does depend on ones DNS servers for their ISP. I use DNS servers that are not part of my ISP and my surfing is a lot faster than when using the DNS servers from my ISP. When using the ISP's DNS servers that they give to me, my Windows boxes are just as slow for surfing as is OS X.
  • Reply 23 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by Relic

What DNS issue? The guy can reinstall OSX and it will still be slow. There is nothing to discuss here, OSX is slow for surfing. I don't expect anyone to take my word for it, so here is a simple test. Download the Ubuntu Linux Live CD and compare it for yourself.

Ubuntu has IPv6 enabled throughout the system which on my line slows everything down. Sure you can disable through firefox, but for the system it's kernel time Do us all a favour and get educated on networks, though if you still insist on your bullshit, so be it, but remember it's in your mind
  • Reply 24 of 41
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

Is it me or is OS X 10.4 Tiger sloooooow resolving web sites?

Do you have both AirPort and Ethernet turned on?
  • Reply 25 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

Tiger on my mini (using Safari and roadrunner) is very quick.

One thing that may help is logging in as root and turning on DNS cache:

file: /etc/hostconfig

change

DNSSERVER=-NO-

to

DNSSERVER=-YES-

Not necessarily a good idea, especially if you're unaware of the security implications of running a BIND server.
  • Reply 26 of 41
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Squozen

Not necessarily a good idea, especially if you're unaware of the security implications of running a BIND server.

What are the security implications?
  • Reply 27 of 41
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

What are the security implications?

DNS cache snooping; http://community.sidestep.pt/~luis/D...ooping_1.1.pdf

It's a good read.
  • Reply 28 of 41
    Sorry, 'X' is dog slow for surfing.

The mini...the PowerMac...the iMac...they are ponderous at best compared to the 'snap' to screen you get on a modest Athlon 1.6xp.

It was noticeable in Steve's 'Intel'-note that his machine seems much more responsive on Safari than any PPC I've played with...

There are other factors like DNS, routers, ISP speed etc.

But Macs are 'average' re: sloooooooow. I wish it wasn't so.

Same with Open GL performance. You'd have to be mad to say the PowerMac dual 2.7 can out perform PCs of a similar spec...

Again...seems to be something to do with Intel cpu. They bench higher in GL. Developer benches back it up...

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 29 of 41
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Safari on G4 733MHz is CONTINOUSLY beach-balling. And thats only with a few tabs open.

Also, after a few days, the RSS feeds don't update anymore. I have to quit Safari and then it works... I hate that.

Why is it so slow all of a sudden?

And yes, I also have Pith Helmet to block out hundreds of stupid ad sites and such.
  • Reply 30 of 41
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

DNS cache snooping; http://community.sidestep.pt/~luis/D...ooping_1.1.pdf

It's a good read.

I didn't really understand the document, but turning on DNS caching sped up my web browsing 10x or so, and I am behind a IP spoofing router - so I doubt that anyone could find my cache (or care if they did find it anyway).
  • Reply 31 of 41
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon

Sorry, 'X' is dog slow for surfing.

The mini...the PowerMac...the iMac...they are ponderous at best compared to the 'snap' to screen you get on a modest Athlon 1.6xp.

Sorry, but the few Windows machines here are not faster than our Macs at surfing.

And remember that each browser's way of showing content (especially when to display content) can make one browser seem faster than another, and I feel that IE is absolutely terrible at handling multiple windows.

But to go back to the original question in this thread, there seems to be a bug in Tiger that means slow DNS resolving when both Ethernet and AirPort is turned on in Network Preferences.

Try using the dig command in Terminal to investigate further on resolving issues.
  • Reply 32 of 41
    ryaxnbryaxnb Posts: 583member
    Quote:

OSX is slow in general but your right surfing is down right abysmal. Solution, you need a G5 2GHz plus. OSX, though extremely cool and full of OS goodness it?s not efficient; it?s a down right resource hog.

OS X is a resource hog but I say surfing is pretty reasonable.
  • Reply 33 of 41
    Quote:

I didn't really understand the document, but turning on DNS caching sped up my web browsing 10x or so, and I am behind a IP spoofing router - so I doubt that anyone could find my cache (or care if they did find it anyway).

The BIND server runs as root so it's another vector that can be used to try to take over your machine. If you're behind a NAT router you'll obviously not have that problem. It's just important to know all the facts before turning on a service with as poor a security history as BIND, and it's not something I would recommend to a novice.
  • Reply 34 of 41
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ryaxnb

No OSX actually uses the available resources. Windows will leave a lot on the table and never use it. Unused resources are just so much wasted $$ and no throughput to speak for it. Most folks carping about that are just talking about the Activity Monitor or top RAM statistics, without having a clue of what they really mean.

Don't get me started, it's been a long week grading OS coursework and dealing with lower than expected performance on a relatively easy test. The mimosa's don't help either.
  • Reply 35 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by ryaxnb

Oh really?

Well it ain't hogging on my mini

OS X is very good at managing resources, which is why you don't get stuff crashing ala windows.
  • Reply 36 of 41
    Quote:

Sorry, but the few Windows machines here are not faster than our Macs at surfing.

They must be Pentium IIs. Every PC I've seen in the last couple of years is much faster running IE than a Mac is running Safari. Same with Flash. Open GL. 'Snappy' window GUIing.

Clearly, PPC isn't as fast as Intel on these things or asoptimised. The result is the same. Slower on these things.

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 37 of 41
    I'm not an expert like some of the peeps in this thread, but i've just switched from a Pentium 3.0 ghz with 2 gigs of RAM to an iMac G5 with 1 gig of RAM, and the latter is by far faster at all tasks, including surfing the internet. Safari never chokes on a page load like IE and Firefox do and it doesn't crash on me when i have a crapload of other programs open.
  • Reply 38 of 41
    Sorry for the thread jack again

Quote:

Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon

They must be Pentium IIs. Every PC I've seen in the last couple of years is much faster running IE than a Mac is running Safari. Same with Flash. Open GL. 'Snappy' window GUIing.

Clearly, PPC isn't as fast as Intel on these things or asoptimised. The result is the same. Slower on these things.

Lemon Bon Bon

You keep on insisting that macs are slower on web browsing grounds but have yet to show any comparative benchmarks. The problem is that you're trying to compare Windows to OS X and on a completely different architecture. Furthermore, rendering pages in a browser has very little to do with the underlying OS and more to do with the browser itself, which again is not an accurate test, as you're comparing 2 different technologies. I have a 3 GHZ P4 sitting right next to me alongside my mini, and IE on the P4 is no slower or faster at page loading going by what you're going by, which is your gut instinct.
  • Reply 39 of 41
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

IE on the P4 is no slower or faster at page loading going by what you're going by, which is your gut instinct.

What does this mean?
  • Reply 40 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

What does this mean?

It means exactly that

IE (Internet Explorer) on the P4 is no slower or faster at page loading going by what you're going by, which is your gut instinct.

This is my last post on this thread as it has been derailed enough.