Apple, Sony among those named in music DRM lawsuit

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 21
    wnursewnurse Posts: 427member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JimDreamworx

Encoding personal information into it?

Kind of like when you have to enter your name and whatever serial number on an install of an application that starts showing up in the splash screen? Sounds like he will start suing any company that has activations for their applications as well. Well, M$ has deep pockets (but not Quark).

Or is it a more unique method?

I have no idea, to be honest. These patent apps need a lawyer to fully understand them. However, with what i know, it is different from what you describe above. Above, you unlock the software by entering personal data. You could potentially copy the software to another machine and have to re-enter the personal information. In his method, the information was embedded within the software and did not require the user to enter anything to unlock. Kinda like itunes. When you buy a song from itunes, it does not ask you to enter serial number. It is not displayed at startup and when you copy the song, the embedded information is copied too. Copying software does not copy the serial number information and in fact, every software i have known allows you to leave the license file (or whatever that info is stored) and move the software to another machine without effecting the ability of the software to function (all user has to do is re-enter info). With a DRM song, removing the personal information is a crime itself so even though it is technically possible, legally, it is not.

So in summary the difference

itunes. Ask you for personal information at sign up, stores in each song.

Regular app. Ask you for personal information at initial execution. Info is not embedded in software. Info is either stored in a seperate file, in the registry, etc but not embedded in software. Major difference and the only reason why this patent is unique really. As everyone knows, protecting sofware from unauthorized use is not unique in itself but the various methods to accomplish this may be unique (or not)