Apple announces iMac G5 repair extension program

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple has announced a worldwide first-generation iMac G5 extended warranty program that offers to repair video or power-related issues on the all-in-one desktops, free of charge.

The iMac G5 Repair Extension Program for Video and Power Issues applies to first generation iMac G5 computers that have video or power-related issues as a result of a specific component failure.

iMac G5 systems exhibiting symptoms of scrambled or distorted video, loss of video or power, may be eligible for free repairs. If Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider determines that an iMac G5 computer is eligible as part of the program, the repair will be covered by Apple for up to two years from the original date of purchase even if the iMac G5 is out of warranty.

The program is available worldwide for iMac G5 models that were sold between approximately September 2004 and June 2005 featuring 17- and 20-inch displays with 1.6GHz and 1.8GHz G5 processors.

The affected iMac G5 computers have serial numbers where the first 5 digits fall into the ranges noted below.

Serial Number ranges

W8435xxxxxx - W8522xxxxxxQP435xxxxxx - QP522xxxxxxCK435xxxxxx - CK522xxxxxxYD435xxxxxx - YD522xxxxxx

The 11-digit serial number is located on a label under the foot of the iMac G5. There is a bar code underneath the serial number. To view the label, Apple suggests users hold the sides of the iMac and gently lay the computer face down on a soft, clean towel or cloth.

How to participate

To participate in the program, bring your iMac G5 to the Mac Genius Bar at your local Apple Retail store or Apple Authorized Service Provider, or call your local Apple contact center. The U.S. Apple support number is 1-800-275-2273. If you are located outside the U.S., see Apple's international contact list for your local Apple Technical Support phone number.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    I have a 20" 1st generation iMac G5, bought the day they were announced in Paris in Sept 2004.

It's whisper quiet, it's never caused me any trouble, the video and power management work flawlessly and it still catches my eye as a well crafted machine.

Sorry others are having issues, just want to say that for me, the iMac's been a terrific experience.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    I talked to my the owner of my nearest Mac reseller not too long ago, and he said that out of the hundreds they sold, only 3 or 4 had come back with problems so far.

I am sure there is a problem, it's just that it's being blown out of all proportion, and I think it's good that Apple are acknowledging the problem and extending the warranty to 2 years if your iMac is affected by this problem later on.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    Doesn't appear to cover the noisy fans though!
  • Reply 4 of 19
    zenatekzenatek Posts: 203member
    My power supply just failed 3 days ago.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by zenatek

My power supply just failed 3 days ago.

This is just a train of thought, but the iMac G5's sold in Europe came with more expensive switching power supplies. Maybe that could explain why they only had 3 or 4 failures out of hundreds sold?
  • Reply 6 of 19
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Something's peculiar here ... my 2G iMac G5's serial number (W8518*) is in the problem-affected range. Explain that, Apple.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    tadunnetadunne Posts: 175member
    Well my 2G 20" 2ghz imac is in for repair at the moment and it's serial number falls within the range of machines in the repair program!

I got mine in may..and just started having video problems

So much for the problems begin fixed in 2g's

I'm still going to get applecare tho...
  • Reply 8 of 19
    tidelwavtidelwav Posts: 118member
    Quote:

The 11-digit serial number is located on a label under the foot of the iMac G5. There is a bar code underneath the serial number. To view the label, Apple suggests users hold the sides of the iMac and gently lay the computer face down on a soft, clean towel or cloth.

It sure is a lot easier to just click on About This Mac. \
  • Reply 9 of 19
    neilwneilw Posts: 77member
    Quote:

It sure is a lot easier to just click on About This Mac.

Not if your machine or its video is dead...
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by tadunne

Well my 2G 20" 2ghz imac is in for repair at the moment

Mine's been at the Apple Store for a week, still awaiting a part for some sensor-related problem.

Quote:

and it's serial number falls within the range of machines in the repair program!

Interesting. I'm sure we'll soon be hearing more about this snafu in serial# correlation to product revision.

Quote:

I got mine in may..and just started having video problems

Mine shipped mid-May and had recently been random crashing for about a week before I finally took it in for repair. Suspecting it might be RAM-related, I took a couple days trying to isolate it by swapping/removing DIMMs, then running AHT and memtest. Tests always succeeded, but crashed a couple times AHT. Eventually it crashed without any RAM. Then I pulled the HD, got it to crash, and took it in minus the HD so I wouldn't have to restore it later from backup.

Some background. One afternoon, soon after I got the 2G iMac, I heard a rather loud *pop* that seemed to have originated near the system, though I had my back turned doing something else on my eMac at the time. I turned around and immediately noticed a warm bubble of air around the sleep light. The system was still running and there were no log warnings or other sign of trouble caused by the mysterious pop. So, I let it run and the warm air pocket dissipated. A couple hours later I noticed an EyeTV recording had been missed and the FW port appeared dead. Removed EyeTV, booted AHT, ran w/o trouble. Booted normally, FW port was alive, and EyeTV seemed okay. Later the port died again. And again. Moved EyeTV to eMac. A month later I took machine to Apple Store, they hooked a FW HD to the suspected bad port and everything was fine. Couldn't leave system for extended testing.

I've wondered if the current sensor problem might be a delayed side effect of that original FW port pop. Supposedly there's no "bad cap" issue here tho' if the serial# is indeed an indicator then I've got a potential time bomb. Unless the replacement part always gets rid of the possible bad caps. I'm definitely doing followup about this while the system's still at the Apple Store.

One more story. A couple days ago the friend I sold my 1G iMac G5 called to tell me his system was consistently crashing, usually within a minute or two of powering up. He brought it over yesterday and I quickly determined it wasn't a RAM or HD issue. He took it to the Apple Store (minus HD; good since he didn't have a backup and the system wouldn't run long enough to do one in FW target mode), apparently found a "bad cap" problem, and apparently were able to fix it for him on the spot. Haven't talked with him yet today, and if his system was repaired last night it's useless since I've still got his HD. Curious to check the serial# later.

Quote:

So much for the problems begin fixed in 2g's

No shit.

Quote:

I'm still going to get applecare tho...

Me, too, although for now I'm holding off for a discount.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    tadunnetadunne Posts: 175member
    I hope they dont wipe my system! I've backed up what files i could but there was too much to completely backup. I don t see any reason for the system to be wiped!?

You are holding out for a discount on the applecare, what makes you think you'll get one?
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by neilw

Not if your machine or its video is dead...

Which is why it's best to do when you first get the system and print a screencapture or keep some other offline record of the serial#. I think it's printed on a label on the original box, too. And on another packing label that's inside the box.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Quote:

I hope they dont wipe my system! I've backed up what files i could but there was too much to completely backup. I don t see any reason for the system to be wiped!?

There've been reports of HDs being erased when the system was in for repair. Apple offers some data copy service but you've gotta pay for it. That's why wanted to pull my HD, glad it's trivial to do (unlike with the iMac G4 I nearly bought), and glad I could replicate the crash w/o it.

Quote:

You are holding out for a discount on the applecare, what makes you think you'll get one?

Because I got one for my original iMac G5 shortly before I sold it, and I bumped the resale price accordingly.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Well, I got applecare for my PowerMac G5 for $209 from Small Dog electronics. Not a huge discount, but $40 is $40.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    The iMac AppleCare is $20 cheaper at Small Dog too. You could always do a froogle on AppleCare.

[on topic]

My Rev. A iMac G5 is covered, but my problem isn't listed on the repair extension page. Seemingly my iMac overheats and puts itself to sleep once I start doing taxing stuff on it. I can get it to overheat after about 15 minutes from startup. I've checked the caps and stuff but the board looks OK. Guess I'll have to bring it into the Apple store and see if they'll replace some parts on it.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    After Apple replaced the logic board in my iMac G5 it crashed during their hardware test. Next they're going to replace that logic board and the power supply. I don't care if it takes replacing every component in the system to fix it except it better still have the pristine display when they're finished or I won't take it back until it does.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

The iMac AppleCare is $20 cheaper at Small Dog too. You could always do a froogle on AppleCare.

[on topic]

My Rev. A iMac G5 is covered, but my problem isn't listed on the repair extension page. Seemingly my iMac overheats and puts itself to sleep once I start doing taxing stuff on it. I can get it to overheat after about 15 minutes from startup. I've checked the caps and stuff but the board looks OK. Guess I'll have to bring it into the Apple store and see if they'll replace some parts on it.

Aren't you wthin the one year of standard coverage anyways?
  • Reply 18 of 19
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Flounder

Aren't you wthin the one year of standard coverage anyways?

Yes, but I bought my iMac on 9/23/2004 so my 1 year warranty is almost up. With so many failures occurring with this model I bought AppleCare for extra protection.

The September issue of Popular Mechanics says Apple surveyed iMac G5 owners on the heat problem and found an 18 percent failure rate among the original iMac G5s with 17-inch screens and a 31 percent failure rate for G5s with 20-inch screens.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    I'm not trying to be cantankerous or anything, and I'm not trying to say apple shouldn't have this program (they certainly should) but the fact remains you're in the first year.

It doesn't matter what the problem is. Your machine isn't functioning properly. Take it too apple and tell them to fix it!

I guess I'm just not seeing what the point you're trying to make is.