OMFG i am starting to 'get' Linux ?!!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
sounds retarded, but if the 1337s bear with me please, this is going somewhere.

1. i do not want to use windows except for 3d games

-->linux to the rescue

2. i want 64-bit because it makes me feel good and i feel i am getting good high performance value out of my amd64

-->i got 64bit suse linux

3. i want to use a hip and cool looking linux operating system

-->ubuntu and suse have hip and sexy logos

4. i want a GUI that is as close as possible to mac os x

-->i cant stand KDE, i am loooving gnome

5. i want to pay max us$30 for a DVD-installed operating system, i dont have time or bandwidth to download and burn cds and md5 and all that shite

-->i bought for us $25 original suse 9.3pro box set, 64bit and 32bit on dvd, 32bit only on the cds

6. i want an installing system and package manager that works.

-->i am starting to 'get' Yast.

7. i want reliable and easy access to the internet

-->well, this has not much to do with linux at this stage, until i can get some decent highly reliable, reasonable pings to the us/europe/japan/taiwan... 1mbps wiMax, well, one year's time maybe. i am writing this on dial-up at the moment.

8. i want high quality 64bit hardware support

-->well, amd64, nVidia nForce and geForce 64bit linux drivers are looking pretty damn good at the moment. good on them. fuck Dlink and TI ACX100 rubbish.

9. i want windowsxp1/2 and linux dual boot

-->no complaints here although i would like a really nice-looking boot selection screen

10. i want mac os-like themes for my GUI

-->well, i am checking out gnome.org

.....to be continued....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    2. I like 64-bit because it's such a cool buzzword.

-> get Linux

8. I like 64-bit because it's such a cool buzzword.

-> get Linux
  • Reply 2 of 30
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member

Cool boot screen for ya
  • Reply 3 of 30
    -->i am starting to 'get' Yast.

Told you. Play around with YaST, and you'll find that it's much more powerful than anything XP offers. Heck, they've been working on it for a decade now, since 1996, and it's only been recently open-sourced. It was proprietary, that's why many distro's still don't have it.

GNOME is great, especially the new version that will come out soon in September. It will require GTK+ 2.8 which uses Cairo, a cutting-edge vector art library that will do some fancy hardware acceleration as well as provide tools for some fancy 2D stuff. For more about Cairo, read this article at Ars Technica. GNOME 2.12 will require it, so we will see some eye-candy trickling down to us.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    Every single time I spend a few hours messing with Linux, I learn something new about the *nix world. My current project is building a HTPC/PVR with Fedora Core 4 and MythTV. So far so good, but I haven't actually had time to get it working (I'm still in the post-install/configuration stage). As far as desktop Linux, I find Suse to be very nice.

My first experience with Linux (as an kid in junior high school) involved getting Mandrake 6.0 to run on my OLD Gateway PC - 75Mhz Pentium/40MB RAM/750MB HD. It must have taken me two weeks of attempted installing, but in the end I got it running with X Windows and all. What a great learning experience that was (no really it was great).
  • Reply 5 of 30
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    3/4 -> you should try the Enlightment window manager, it has some interesting cool/fancy things.

And 2/8 -> I agree, 64-bit is not really useful (to most users now), but sounds cool I guess. Kind of not really a real reason.
  • Reply 6 of 30
    Each time I have installed a Linux distro for daily use, I find several annoying things to obsess over and end up going back to Windows, but I've found that Linux is the most practical platform for occasional hobby "OS" development. So although I don't automatically identify with it, I am a Linux user.
  • Reply 7 of 30
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac The Fork

Each time I have installed a Linux distro for daily use, I find several annoying things to obsess over and end up going back to Windows, but I've found that Linux is the most practical platform for occasional hobby "OS" development. So although I don't automatically identify with it, I am a Linux user.

heh. that's the thing i'm starting to "get" about linux. it's like we're trying to re-create the mac os X but better (oh boy maybe i shouldn't say that)

but with linux its like i'm sitting here right now on dialup with firefox and no images, but you know, i have a feeling of being secure, on the cutting edge, and completely in control. time with linux, every now and then, reminds you that, hey, you've always been dissapointed with windows no matter how appealing every next 'feature' or 'ui' improvement gets, linux, if you're not happy about something, YOU can do something about it. you're only limited by your own time, resources and creativity.

and with mac os X, it is already very good and there's not much space to really really tweak, in any case it was for me for many years a platform to work on graphics and stuff but as you may have heard me bitch, the creative design stuff had become less and less fun after a while.

anyway i can't afford a mac again for a while, so its fooling around with OS's for a while, or maybe every now and then, that is, when i'm not playing the latest 3d games with my nVidia 6600gt

all these really makes you understand how far apple has come in the past 20 years, and for me, i'm surprised there is still this spark of interest in user interface, multimedia, etc, in me... that was ruthlessly crushed in my 5 years in 'the industry' with a 'real job'. fuck that shit. like deniro says in Heat - "i'm never going back"

well jobs today are changing all the time anyway. just 10 years ago how many people had an "internet" related job???

hmmm 10 years ago i was in my final year of high skool and my computing class final project was an "environment quiz" thing, rather primitive, i made in hypercard and ripped simpsons icons and animations

i don't know maybe i'm off base here but its quite good getting all this off my chest....

and i shall leave you all with my usual line, time for bed... the xanax is kicking in...
  • Reply 8 of 30
    ps mac the fork and others:

i tried unsuccessfully to get Xine dvd playing up and running. compiled source engine and ui okay but it segment faults as soon as you load it. and it cant handle encrypted dvds.

that's the other thing about this opensource. you get to explore how important it is, the technology, that we take for granted... and the whole other realm of intelectual property, distributed collaborative work, hardware, software, modern business...
  • Reply 9 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

ps mac the fork and others:

i tried unsuccessfully to get Xine dvd playing up and running. compiled source engine and ui okay but it segment faults as soon as you load it. and it cant handle encrypted dvds.

sunil, if you want to play DVDs with your SuSE rig, you need the library that understand CSS protection.

I will PM you with further info. It's very easy.
  • Reply 10 of 30
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

sunil, if you want to play DVDs with your SuSE rig, you need the library that understand CSS protection.

I will PM you with further info. It's very easy.

I will be doing some linux setup very soon, and could use the link. THX.

Taking a class in it, I figure that will give me some "comfort" for running it here at home, knoledge is power and I am powerless in *nix right now because I have been a windows (and MS-DOS before that) guy way the hell too long
  • Reply 11 of 30
    Quote:

anyway i can't afford a mac again for a while, so its fooling around with OS's for a while, or maybe every now and then, that is, when i'm not playing the latest 3d games with my nVidia 6600gt

The key phrase here being "fooling around with OS's". Been there done that. I am done fooling around. With OS's that is.
  • Reply 12 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

I will be doing some linux setup very soon, and could use the link. THX.

Taking a class in it, I figure that will give me some "comfort" for running it here at home, knoledge is power and I am powerless in *nix right now because I have been a windows (and MS-DOS before that) guy way the hell too long

gene clean, thanks for your help, hope you dont mind i repost here for others:

ps. apt-get installed ok

apt-get update is ok

but apt-get install libdvdcss or w32codecs etc no worky

eg i get the error:

Reading Package Lists... Done

Building Dependency Tree... Done

E: Couldn't find package w32codecs

all you need to play DVDs (even encrypted ones) in SuSE is this library called 'libdvdcss' that will understand the CSS protection and pass that knowledge to players like Xine or Kaffeine.

You can get that library by clicking here. You simply install it with YaST.

http://download.videolan.org/pub/li....2.8-1.i386.rpm

If, however, you are interested in making your installation life easier, you need something called APT, or Advanced Package Tool. That's a package manager ported from Debian, one of the best Linux distro's around.

In order to install stuff with APT, all you do is fire up a Terminal and type 'apt-get install app-name' and you're all done.

So once you set up APT (you can also install Aptitude and/or Synaptics for a GUI frontend to APT) all you will need to do is open a Terminal window and type

'apt-get install libdvdcss'

- for DVD playback

and

'apt-get install w32codecs'

- for all codecs that exist out there, including QuickTime and .wmv files.

To learn how to install APT for SuSE, follow this link. http://linux01.gwdg.de/apt4rpm/

• Reply 13 of 30
    Quote:

ene clean, thanks for your help, hope you dont mind i repost here for others:

ps. apt-get installed ok

apt-get update is ok

but apt-get install libdvdcss or w32codecs etc no worky

eg i get the error:

Reading Package Lists... Done

Building Dependency Tree... Done

E: Couldn't find package w32codecs

all you need to play DVDs (even encrypted ones) in SuSE is this library called 'libdvdcss' that will understand the CSS protection and pass that knowledge to players like Xine or Kaffeine.

This is a prime example of why linux will remain a toy for geeks. Try explaining the above to grandma who only wants to watch a DVD.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThinkingDifferent

The key phrase here being "fooling around with OS's". Been there done that. I am done fooling around. With OS's that is.

heh. they're not paying me enough in a current part-time job for me to invest too much time in it. so fooling around with OSs is alright for now.

I am done fooling around with windows. when i fire up winXP i just want it to come up, and i just want to click on my NeedforSpeedIcon or FlashMX2004 icon or someother games i'll get over the next few weeks/months and that's it. fuck the rest of winXP.

linux though, i feel like i am actually learning something. i did do Unix 101 in computer science like 8 years ago. very very basic unix stuff anyway, and it was thought by some super-hardcore lecturer chick that was doing research into producing C sourcecode from decompiling binaries...!!

and the marked my C code down on excercises because she said "i used too many comments"

its now slowly coming back after the drugs and partying of the past few years, one of our tutorials was writing some shell script to recursively list directory contents or something. i have no bloody idea how i actually pulled it off. no, we couldn't use some sort of "ls -with recursive" or something like that, you had to detect if something was a directory and then ls into that and repeat if you found more directories etc etc...

well, i suppose thanks to that excercise in 2000-2001 i wrote something similar but using ASP instead. boss was impressed then 2001 i started my trip to become a "real graphic designer" instead of some geeky wannabe-coder. then in 2004-05 realised how many wankers there are in marketing /advertising...!!
  • Reply 15 of 30
    Quote:

hen in 2004-05 realised how many wankers there are in marketing /advertising...!!

I don't know who is a bigger wanker marketing people or the people who believe the marketing people.
  • Reply 16 of 30
    Quote:

This is a prime example of why linux will remain a toy for geeks. Try explaining the above to grandma who only wants to watch a DVD.

my parents use their iBook g4 so it's cool.

well, apple is the example of taking a unix-based os and making it consumer friendly.

well, it does somewhat satisfy me intellectually, like i said, the fact that i have a 'working os' to play games no worries (winxp) and a stellar os (borrowing my dad's iBook g4) when i actually need to just get work done when time is of the essence...

one idea i have is, where i am living right now, Tivo is unheard of, there are only japanese brand hard disk recorders which cost about local currency $2000

i'm wondering if i can develop a linux-based solution that costs $500 (you don't need a monitor, just a video card with tv output) and you could sell those for $1000

of course the challenges here are:

1. seamless high quality linux hardware and software engineering

2. attractive interface design

3. quality assurance and support structures

linux is like a lego set except when i was a kid i was never able to build those hardcore lego shite i think i was just making houses (OMFG why was i making houses not cars or planes or stuff!!! (i am a guy)
  • Reply 17 of 30
    Quote:

one idea i have is, where i am living right now, Tivo is unheard of, there are only japanese brand hard disk recorders which cost about local currency $2000

i'm wondering if i can develop a linux-based solution that costs $500 (you don't need a monitor, just a video card with tv output) and you could sell those for $1000

I think this is where the Mac Mini can be used. What you need to develop is a Bluetooth remote control that can be used on the Mini.
  • Reply 18 of 30
    Quote:

I think this is where the Mac Mini can be used. What you need to develop is a Bluetooth remote control that can be used on the Mini.

mac mini costs $2000 in my local currency

YAYYY!! I GOT XINE-Dvd playing WORKING YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHH
  • Reply 19 of 30
    Quote:

mac mini costs $2000 in my local currency

YAYYY!! I GOT XINE-Dvd playing WORKING YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Move to america. But then you wouldn't be able pirated DVD's cheaply.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    heh. bloody winxp1 has spyware already i think i'll do my web surfing on susE and turn off the wifi card on the windows side and just play games on windows. man my needforspeed underground2 Tiburon is way pimped!!