Apple secures supply of G4 chips through 2008

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

bloody hell. there is no way that article would have made it to any forbes printed material. more like a rant/blog for some forbes "journalist". shite.

heh. my main problem is the title. "hedging" your bets with a G4 for the next 3 years is like getting a PhD degree and then saying, well, i can always work at burger king if things don't work out...

It's why I don't like analysts or financial writers. They don't always understand the situation. They just see the superficial goings on.
  • Reply 42 of 46
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    And 90% of them don't predict, they just react.

"Oh look, stock AAAA is going up fast! Buy!" Bzzt. Too late.

"On no, stock AAAA has been going down for weeks! Sell!" Ditto.

If you listen to the majority of analysts, you'll lose money hand over fist.
  • Reply 43 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

And 90% of them don't predict, they just react.

"Oh look, stock AAAA is going up fast! Buy!" Bzzt. Too late.

"On no, stock AAAA has been going down for weeks! Sell!" Ditto.

If you listen to the majority of analysts, you'll lose money hand over fist.

Besides, they've been too busy whipping up business for the banks their firms have been owned by. Recommend a stock and you will get their business. People have been going to jail for that.

I used to think that most analysts were just incompetent. It turned out that they were mostly dishonest. though to be fair, they got "orders from headquarters' as the expression goes.
  • Reply 44 of 46
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    The seven year thing. Apple have to be able to provide parts for your computer is it breaks for seven years?

So if I call Apple and say "Hi. I ripped out the processor of my Mini because I hope you don´t have anyone left so you either have go give me my money back or give me the 2010 Mac Mini version", they better have them on storage or they are fucked?
  • Reply 45 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

The seven year thing. Apple have to be able to provide parts for your computer is it breaks for seven years?

So if I call Apple and say "Hi. I ripped out the processor of my Mini because I hope you don´t have anyone left so you either have go give me my money back or give me the 2010 Mac Mini version", they better have them on storage or they are fucked?

Parts and service.

They CAN give you a new machine if they choose to. But if they can avoid that they will.

Cheap items are also cheaper to just replace. But not the whole machine.
  • Reply 46 of 46
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gon

If it was a Pentium M or Mobile Athlon64 at that clockspeed, would you complain?

No, because those are better performing chips, with a good FSB (2x and faster), bigger caches (twice as large or larger) and such. That, and they are available at 33% higher clock speeds too, while still having good battery life.