How slow is VPC 5 ?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Is VPC 5 usable under OS X (say with either Win200 or XP) ? I dont want to play games but I am thnking of running a few dvd/vidoe based programs.

I would run it on either my 867 or my dual 500 (is there multi processor support ?).. both have 1G of ram.

Is it worth it ?

Cheers

adam

[ 01-23-2002: Message edited by: Adam11 ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    The documentation with VPC states that DVD playback does not work in emulation. I would doubt that it would work well for that purpose. But it would be more than usable for running Office, browsing the web, playing simple games, and most other applications you can use in windows that are not Video intensive.
  • Reply 2 of 29
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    How slow is VPC 5?

Try and imagine a dog with no legs, then throw a bone for him to fetch.

It's not even funny trying to run it on my iBook in X. Under 9 it's a little less depressing. Seems like every version they release gets slower.
  • Reply 3 of 29
    It's fine on a G4 Cube/384mb
  • Reply 4 of 29
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I was thinking of getting it, but if it's really slow then forget it.
  • Reply 5 of 29
    I had 3 and it was descent, fast enough for me not to notice or complain. I got 5 because it runs on X and had to get QuickBooks (because no mac company can make a fricking alternativ to QB that has what QB has)

And on my iBook, I'm not shitting you, it took almost 2 mintues to load QB. I thought the VPC or windows had froze, then finally it launched. That's when I knew something seriously was wrong wth the speed. Once it gets going its not all bad, but launching, quiting, switching between apps is horrid.

Put it this way- VPC sees my USB iBook as a Pll
  • Reply 6 of 29
    [quote]Originally posted by KidRed:

<strong>

Put it this way- VPC sees my USB iBook as a Pll </strong><hr></blockquote>

Thank you. That just steered me away from VPC. I want something that'll actually have decent speed.

[ 01-24-2002: Message edited by: EmAn ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 29
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    I just found out that I need to run Visual Basic for a course I am taking. On VPC 5, it should be interesting.
  • Reply 8 of 29
    [quote]Originally posted by Fran441:

<strong>I just found out that I need to run Visual Basic for a course I am taking. On VPC 5, it should be interesting. </strong><hr></blockquote>

That's gunna be very interesting.
  • Reply 9 of 29
    Fran:

Use Windows 95 and download Tweak UI to turn off all the GUI options.

That should help the speed a little.
  • Reply 10 of 29
    [quote]Originally posted by Fran441:

<strong>I just found out that I need to run Visual Basic for a course I am taking. On VPC 5, it should be interesting. </strong><hr></blockquote>

I really wouldn't recommend trying to do software development, even something uncomplicated like VB, in an emulator.

Unpredictable results might occur.

You're better off buying the cheapest POS PC you can find which will run the version of VB you need to use. No sound card, no graphics card, 13" monitor, etc. You should be able to find somebody's second-hand computer for peanuts.
  • Reply 11 of 29
    [quote]Originally posted by ColorClassicG4:

<strong>Unpredictable results might occur.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Do you have any experience with "unpredictable results" in software dev?

I've compiled and run Pascal, C, C++, and Java apps with no problems at all under VPC.

[ 01-24-2002: Message edited by: starfleetX ]</p>
  • Reply 12 of 29
    idogcowidogcow Posts: 111member
    Is VPC 5 that slow?

I need to be able to browse a large online database, and take offline courses (taking courses in VPC 3 right now, and works fine) would the speed be bearable on a 800mhz G4 iMac? I can't run the database on my StarMax 4000 with VPC 3 at all.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    I have VPC 4 on my iMac running Win2k. Its really slow. However, I was at the apple store playing with VPC 4 on a dual 800mhz G4 and that thing screamed. It was just like using a PC for most common apps like IE and Office etc.
  • Reply 14 of 29
    2 DogCows? Wierd.

Anyway, VPC 3 was nice, 4 wasn't too bad. Maybe the speed decrease has something to do with the dynamic expanding drive that they introed in version 4. I'm not sure, use version or 4 if you can. If you run X, just plan on it being much much slower then X. Not worth it to me, I feel like I pissed away $200 bucks for it. I want to email them and demand an update when they fix the speed issues. Even when booted into 9, it was still slow as hell.

What is a Pentium ll anyways?

[ 01-26-2002: Message edited by: KidRed ]</p>
  • Reply 15 of 29
    idogcowidogcow Posts: 111member
    [quote]Originally posted by KidRed:

<strong>2 DogCows? Wierd.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

On other boards I'm just 'Dogcow' but the other Dogcow here stole it first, so I had to stick an 'i' in front of it...

Mean ol' Dogcow, stealing names from people....
  • Reply 16 of 29
    hahaha
  • Reply 17 of 29
    I'm running it on a Quicksilver 867 with 1GB of memory. It drags a little in OS X but seems faster OS 9. It should be able to do anything you need which is soley software based. If the DVD apps require some hardware decoding it may fall down there.

Overall, the speed seems adequate. If you are doing spreadsheets, wordprocessing and such it will be OK.
  • Reply 18 of 29
    a2daja2daj Posts: 30member
    In OS 9, VPC 5 seems faster than 4. I don't use the dynamically expanding HDs due to performance reasons.

I used VPC 1 on a PowerMac 7500/200 604e running Windows NT and Visual Studio 5 (I think) to do my Software Development/Senior Project in college. I use to do pushups and situps during full compiles (deleting objects and recompiling everything). I got in pretty damn good shape that semester...
  • Reply 19 of 29
    ybotybot Posts: 329member
    I read somewhere that VPC 5 is optimised for Windows 2000 and XP, so you might (apparently) get better results from using either of those OSes. I'm getting XP tonight to try it out w/ VPX 5 under X. Hopefully there will be a noticeable difference.
  • Reply 20 of 29
    I used Visual Basic under VPC 3 all the time and never had a problem.

Was great for my class, I'd grab my laptop and go to friends houses to work on the programs.

VPC under X does seem pretty slow at the moment but under 9 it isn't too bad. I haven't spent enough time in X with VPC to see if I'll keep using it there.