Adobe MacTel apps, mice, encrypted iChats, more...

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 62
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

This is a very limited distribution. You can only get it with a new machine if you request it. you can't downgrade if you find it won't work for you as there are MANY problems with firmware and drivers. It's NOT an upgrade for current users of Windows, etc.

There are very few programs in 64 bit as yet. There is very little hardware that will work with it either.

Even MS says that until Vista comes out, 64 bits is not a viable OS for most users. Apple has that window as well.

Your points entirely reinforce why I think having a 32bit transition and then a 64bit transition is unfortunate. Apple are creating the same issues that Microsoft has with compatibility with legacy 32bit Intel software and hardware.

If they'd jumped straight in to 64bit, they'd not have those issues and neither would we.

With Vista and Leopard coming out at about the same time, I'd hope that they have 64bit sorted by then.
  • Reply 62 of 62
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

Your points entirely reinforce why I think having a 32bit transition and then a 64bit transition is unfortunate. Apple are creating the same issues that Microsoft has with compatibility with legacy 32bit Intel software and hardware.

If they'd jumped straight in to 64bit, they'd not have those issues and neither would we.

With Vista and Leopard coming out at about the same time, I'd hope that they have 64bit sorted by then.

I don't disagree with you about its being unfortunate that they have to go through this. But it is or they wouldn't be.

Don't forget that unlike MS, Apple can't afford to have so many tracks of development. They are forced into a more linear development cycle. Getting Tiger out the door was their primary concern. Then getting the developer version of x86 Tiger with Rosetta, which was a rush job at best. Now they have to finish x86 Tiger so that it's marketable, along with a finished and improved Rosetta. Most likely moving the OS to EFI from the BIOS used now, etc.

At the same time they now have to work on two tracks of Leopard 64 bit. It's simply too much to ask for them to move Tiger to 64 bits as well.

I'm sure it will work out in the end.