Microsoft Virutal PC - any good?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
i've got a new job and i need to have windows to access some websites. should i get Virtual PC? does it work well or am i better off getting a cheap windows laptop?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by burningwheel

i've got a new job and i need to have windows to access some websites. should i get Virtual PC? does it work well or am i better off getting a cheap windows laptop?

The purpose of Virtual PC is not to replace a cheap Windows laptop. The purpose of Virtual PC is to allow MacOS X users who need to run Windows or other Intel-based OSes to do so on their Macs.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

The purpose of Virtual PC is not to replace a cheap Windows laptop. The purpose of Virtual PC is to allow MacOS X users who need to run Windows or other Intel-based OSes to do so on their Macs.

....To gain access to Windows apps, exactl like a cheap windows laptop.

• Reply 3 of 21
    Quote:

It depends how cheap the laptop is, if it's less than twice the price of VPC then I'd be tempted to buy the laptop.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

....To gain access to Windows apps, exactl like a cheap windows laptop.

Not to get into a pi$$ing content, but it's almost nothing like a cheap laptop. Virtual PC allows multiple virtual hard drives, each with a different Intel-based OS if you need them all on your PowerBook. Just how many cheap Windows laptops can you lug through the airport while maintaining Mac-compatibility?

Virtual PC allows almost seamless two-way file access to files between the Windows environment and the Mac environment. This is almost impossible with a cheap Windows laptop, especially while sitting on an airplane. And, of course, you would still need the Mac computer.

Virtual PC + Windows is cheaper than any new Windows laptop.

The takeaway message is that Virtual PC may be a poor subsitute for a real Windows computer if running Windows apps is all you want to do. But for the people who need Virtual PC, a Windows hardware computer is not an option.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    Quote:

Not to get into a pi$$ing content, but it's almost nothing like a cheap laptop. Virtual PC allows multiple virtual hard drives, each with a different Intel-based OS if you need them all on your PowerBook. Just how many cheap Windows laptops can you lug through the airport while maintaining Mac-compatibility?

Virtual PC allows almost seamless two-way file access to files between the Windows environment and the Mac environment. This is almost impossible with a cheap Windows laptop, especially while sitting on an airplane. And, of course, you would still need the Mac computer.

Virtual PC + Windows is cheaper than any new Windows laptop.

The takeaway message is that Virtual PC may be a poor subsitute for a real Windows computer if running Windows apps is all you want to do. But for the people who need Virtual PC, a Windows hardware computer is not an option.

huh? i would need it for gaining access to certain websites using IE for windows and using exel for ltd. database work
  • Reply 6 of 21
    Quote:

huh? i would need it for gaining access to certain websites using IE for windows and using exel for ltd. database work

OK. Sounds good to me. What makes you think you would have a problem doing that?
  • Reply 7 of 21
    Quote:

OK. Sounds good to me. What makes you think you would have a problem doing that?

One possible word: ActiveX
  • Reply 8 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jwink3101

One possible word: ActiveX

Why would you believe that ActiveX does not work with Virtual PC?
  • Reply 9 of 21
    Quote:

I'm sorry. I thought you meant for regular work on the mac with say IE for mac
  • Reply 10 of 21
    Quote:

have windows to access some websites. should i get Virtual PC?

That's what I use VPC for. Have a couple of Windows browsers and it is fast enough on the eMac 700 MHz for doing browsing.

Note: "fast enough" doesn't mean it can't be slow when you are waiting for VPC to start, but if you have a faster computer than me, I would say it's worth it.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    My experiance with VPC is that if you have the top fo the line Mac, then you will have acceptable VPC. I have a 1.0ghz 768 Ram powerbook. If i close everything i can use it but i have to be patient
  • Reply 12 of 21
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Windows XP runs like A$$ on VPC. Get a cheap PC. I got tired of associating this worthless piece of software with my Mac.

On a PC, it seems more natural and makes you feel that much better when you fire up OS X on your Mac the way it was meant to be.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jwink3101

My experiance with VPC is that if you have the top fo the line Mac, then you will have acceptable VPC. I have a 1.0ghz 768 Ram powerbook. If i close everything i can use it but i have to be patient

yeah i just called the apple store, they said it would slow their machines down. i mean does it run really slow??
  • Reply 14 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by JimDreamworx

That's what I use VPC for. Have a couple of Windows browsers and it is fast enough on the eMac 700 MHz for doing browsing.

Note: "fast enough" doesn't mean it can't be slow when you are waiting for VPC to start, but if you have a faster computer than me, I would say it's worth it.

so it does run decently then..how long does it take to start up?
  • Reply 15 of 21
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    I run explorer, opera and firefox on win98 with VPC on my 12" PB 1ghz.

Not fast, but it works.

as you can run it as an app. it starts pretty quick, (since you don't have to boot).
  • Reply 16 of 21
    Quote:

i found a work around for gaining access to my work site but the ActiveX portions of the site don't work. so activeX works with VPC?
  • Reply 17 of 21
    Quote:

i found a work around for gaining access to my work site but the ActiveX portions of the site don't work. so activeX works with VPC?

Yes.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    anyone have a demo of VPC? i locked but couldn't find one
  • Reply 19 of 21
    i do not know if the do it but MSFT releases thier office 2004 to test but they may for VPC.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    i found some BT's of beta version but they are all expired. how can i get a demo? i don't want to spend the money on this in case it doesn't work, i'd rather just buy a PC, but i wan't to avoid that if possible