iTunes Equiped Phone. Final Thoughts B4 The Unveiling

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
If you have any Final Predictions/Thoughts about 'The Phone', put them here.

The concept of an iTunes equiped Motorola phone has always nagged me the wrong way (forgive the bungled metaphor). It submerges the iTunes concept; lessens it if you will.

I can't see Apple putting iTunes into a phone, someone else's phone. Apple has always wanted to control both the hardware and the software.

If anything, I could see Apple jamming a Moto phone chip-set into an iPod package, subsuming the concept of phone into the uber-concept of iPod. Apple would stay in the driver seat that way (from a customer's perception as well as from controlling the resultant hardware).

Does anyone else think that the rumorization 'released' thus far is inconsistent with the way that Apple would behave?

V/R,

Aries 1B

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    Rumor has it the click wheel will double as a rotary phone dialer?

but seriously I doubt Apple will have much to do with the button layout/form factor of the phone.
  • Reply 2 of 30
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ChevalierMalFet

Rumor has it the click wheel will double as a rotary phone dialer?

but seriously I doubt Apple will have much to do with the button layout/form factor of the phone.

I agree, but that's what strikes me as discordant: Apple may leave the form factor of the phone to others (?)

V/R,

Aries 1B
  • Reply 3 of 30
    Remember it's just iTunes, which is already available for Windows.

It's not a big deal.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    DO NOT EXPECT TO BE IMPRESSED.

Had to shout it.
  • Reply 5 of 30
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    apple should make it's own phone and market it for different formats gsm, cdma. i'd buy it. i bet moto and cingular made a deal--to prevent apple from making their own --- so that they could share in the $$$$ of the "ipod" phone.

apple should control the form factor not moto if they start with moto, maybe they will eventually make their own. could you imagine an phone that's also a smart phone "a phone newton" with built in wifi, BT stereo and a removable memory card.
  • Reply 6 of 30
    Then I'll whisper this: Whatever Apple releases will be their entry into the phone service niche. From there going forward are many opportunities for them to profit. Their own branded phone service with VoIP and even wireless broadband are only two of the possibilities.
  • Reply 7 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aphelion

Then I'll whisper this: Whatever Apple releases will be their entry into the phone service niche. ...

I don't think so; it's more "iTunes as a distribution platform". For example, they might be able to open up the cellphone games distribution market. The US carriers want to control everything and pick up every cent, but this is the first crack in that monopolism.

I would like to see a handheld WiFi/VOIP phone, and possibly an Apple-branded service, but such a development has to come from completely outside the established telecom business, especially anything controlled or owned by the arrogant, greedy RBOCs.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    Here I am wearing an "I just don't get it" T-shirt.

I already have a phone which plays MP3s and AAC. So a music playing phone really is no big deal.

Perhaps the selling point is that this Apple phone has an iPod like user interface glued on - but if that interferes with its functionality as a telephone - then that's a non-starter.

If the selling-point is that I don't need to own a phone AND an iPod that seems like a bad deal for Apple. It'll sell less iPods.

If the selling-point is that the phone plays Apple's Fairplay DRM music and Syncs with iTunes - Well that's dandy, but its hardly going to set the world on light.

Perhaps the big deal is that the phone lets you buy music on the move. This is crazy - Imagine navigating a music store, with a million tracks - using a tiny screen and tiny keyboard- and then being charged by the minute to do so. Or worse, being charged a premimum to download tracks via a mobile store.

Either this is all a big bad idea - or there is something else to this announcement. Anyone else wearing the same T-Shirt?

Carni
  • Reply 9 of 30
    eminemin Posts: 45member
    What I wonder is why haven't they gone ahead with Palm, which has some decent PDA-phones and a great software platform. Convergence of those three devices would have been even better than just the phone and iPod. iPod-Phone-PDA could have been the next logical step in the evolution of the devices we carry around on us (and another step towards wearable computing).
  • Reply 10 of 30
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Adjust your expecations to this according to your association with the sentence "Apple, Motorola and the G4".

All I hope is they won´t release something that will embarrass me too much.
  • Reply 11 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carniphage

Here I am wearing an "I just don't get it" T-shirt.

I already have a phone which plays MP3s and AAC. So a music playing phone really is no big deal.

Perhaps the selling point is that this Apple phone has an iPod like user interface glued on - but if that interferes with its functionality as a telephone - then that's a non-starter.

If the selling-point is that I don't need to own a phone AND an iPod that seems like a bad deal for Apple. It'll sell less iPods.

If the selling-point is that the phone plays Apple's Fairplay DRM music and Syncs with iTunes - Well that's dandy, but its hardly going to set the world on light.

Perhaps the big deal is that the phone lets you buy music on the move. This is crazy - Imagine navigating a music store, with a million tracks - using a tiny screen and tiny keyboard- and then being charged by the minute to do so. Or worse, being charged a premimum to download tracks via a mobile store.

Either this is all a big bad idea - or there is something else to this announcement. Anyone else wearing the same T-Shirt?

Carni

Mine's a little tight, but I have it on as well. It's a bad move on all acounts unless it's truly a revolutionary (Apple-developed) cell phone. Even then, it seems like a mistake.

Here's hoping there is a surprise in store on Wednesday.
  • Reply 12 of 30
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Something's fishy with the whole iTunes phone idea. It seems so non-plussing. Either it's going to be WAY cooler than we're expecting or Steve's going to have the RDF on overdrive to get us to think it's way cooler than it really is.

Probably the second.
  • Reply 13 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by Harald

DO NOT EXPECT TO BE IMPRESSED.

Had to shout it.

Not that we get emotional about this stuff

V/R,

Aries 1B
  • Reply 14 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Adjust your expecations to this according to your association with the sentence "Apple, Motorola and the G4".

All I hope is they won´t release something that will embarrass me too much.

Indeed. The image of Flounder, his guppies, and all the rest of my sea friends laughing at me is almost more than I can bear.

V/R,

Ariel 1B

8)
  • Reply 15 of 30
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Why this is important:

iPod dominates the market.

iPod is expensive.

Lots of people want iPods but can't afford them

Everybody and their momma has a cell phone.

Cheap, widely available phones that play music = VERY fast way to unseat the iPod.

This phone is about heading it off at the pass and sustaining the iTMS model as the dominant one for distributing and playing back music.

It's that simple.
  • Reply 16 of 30
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    apple makes money from ipod sales not itunes sales.

apple needs to brand, and sell it's own phone to keep the $$$$

free phones are not free, you pay for it over your 2 year contract. without the "free phone" nonsense, people could then really negotiate with cell carriers...it's an oportunity to reverse the monopoly. people do chase phone features then find the carrier (in my case)

ipods are sooo popular that apple could sell it's own unlocked phone gsm, cdma etc. and has the market share to push monopoly of phone carriers out of the way....so the deal with cingular

ipods are not expensive---ipods at ALDI are $89

i would like one device to do it all as well, but want apple form factor. inewton, an apple smartphone, wow running a mobile os X.

what present form factor is best???--treo, samsung, blackberry, palm ???? but apple always has a truly elegant solution, thus i don't want a committee of moto, cingular to design my next phone i want apple and ipod owners know this as well.

what should apple's iphones emulate---or improve on???
  • Reply 17 of 30
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    add gps and downloadable maps.

different city you can get directions to wherever you need to go.
  • Reply 18 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

add gps and downloadable maps.

different city you can get directions to wherever you need to go.

Don't forget the magnifying glass (I'm just thinking about my own T720 and its postage stamp of a screen....)

Well, I want to thank you all for a civil, congenial and quite pleasant discussion on the upcoming Phone-Thing.

Mods: This thread is lockable.

V/R,

Aries 1B
  • Reply 19 of 30
    From Looprumors:

"Very reliable sources are telling LoopRumors that the new ?iPhone? will be unlike anything we?ve seen. The enclosure will be slimmer, sexier and sleeker than any image that has appeared on the internet up until now. The phone will be unique in design exclusive for Apple and not a rebranded Motorola phone. Our source also informed us that we can expect to see more than just iTunes integration. Possibly iPhoto, iCal, iChat or iSync? USB 2.0 and a media card are also integrated into the phone. We may have more info before tomorrow?s announcement so stay tuned..."

Interesting if true!
  • Reply 20 of 30
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    There is one fundamental piece which nags me and convinces me that I will NOT buy this phone: the software

Motorola has by far the most ANNOYING and horrible OS for their phones. I've been wanting to get a Moto sometimes, and the RAZR almost got me. I borrowed a friend's RAZR for a week and I absolutely hated it.

It's just not looking up for my idea of a good phone.

Apple should REALLY consider making their own OS or at least licensing SymbianOS/Series60 and make their OWN phone.

Anyway... my expectations are rock bottom.