Apple and Motorola introduce iTunes phone

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 57
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfiler

Did anyone notice Jobs bungle the demo.

Apparently, the interface is so unintuative that he messed up even after slowing down and deliberately trying to do what he wanted.

It's amazing, we've been doing text based menus for 40 years but still it seems like a new science to some companies. Seriously, how hard is it to build a menu interface which only involves a vertical list of words?

I'll hold out for an iPhone with mininmal buttons and a refined interface. I can't even remember the last time I dialed a phone number. Phone number entry is suprisingly a secondary feature on mobile phones. It is used far less often (by most people) than the menuing system. Perhaps the buttons should be designed accordingly... I'm holding out for a phone with a click wheel.

cool - we've got to remember Jobs isn't exactly super speed when going through the Mac demos and he's probably only used this phone a few times!
  • Reply 42 of 57
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Sony/Ericsson had announced that they were leaving the North American market over a year ago because of poor sales. Are they still here?
  • Reply 43 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Sony/Ericsson had announced that they were leaving the North American market over a year ago because of poor sales. Are they still here?

WHAT???? Are you serious? I knew that Sony won't be making any more Palms with PALM OS, but I never heard that one...

Article/linky please???

If they did, I will be super duper madddddddd
  • Reply 44 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by alexluft

WHAT???? Are you serious? I knew that Sony won't be making any more Palms with PALM OS, but I never heard that one...

Article/linky please???

If they did, I will be super duper madddddddd

It was over a year ago. finding an article that old is almost impossible, but I'll look.
  • Reply 45 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

It was over a year ago. finding an article that old is almost impossible, but I'll look.

I was right, it was over a year ago. A lot over a year ago. Several years ago.

This is one reference:

http://www.phonescoop.com/news/item.php?n=279
  • Reply 46 of 57
    this is one of the most sensible apple articles i have read on the web in a long long long time:

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...&siteid=google

particularly the journalist acknoledges analyst Gene Munster of Piper J as a "long time apple bull" -- one of the rare occasions the journos are not afraid of labelling the intentions of a particular analyst.

our friend Gene Munster Analyst Group suspects that "...Apple is not getting paid a royalty for each phone sold...." and the author of the article adds "... although the financial details weren't disclosed and Apple, Motorola and Cingular have refused to comment on them....."

so what is apple getting out of this? free iTunes publicity from Moto and Cingular? and that's it? does anyone here believe that? hmm....

yeah the article is weird though in that it does not suggest or mention anything about the possibility of apple getting, say, 10, 20, or 30cents or whatever per every $2 iTunes sold over the mobile iTMS channel...
  • Reply 47 of 57
    heh, what is fucking brilliant is that they can't buy the tunes through the mobile phone, they still have to use iTunes on Pc or Mac... nice... **

**edit on second reading this sounds sarcastic, but really, i mean it, this plays very nicely into jobs' hands, even if he doesn't get no royalty per phone sold... moto and cingular are betting their horses on traditional mobile phone thinking... hey, hopefully this sells more moto phones and more cingular subscriptions... whereas overall this for apple is an extension of the iTMS to mobile phone users.

somewhere between 3G and wiMax is a very messy space (at least to apple) of carriers, service providers, handset manufacturers...... hmmm
  • Reply 48 of 57
    19841984 Posts: 955member
  • Reply 49 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1984

It sucks

yeah they kinda ripped into it in their most recent podcast. poor motosucky. NOT!

usb 1.1 only. can you believe that?
  • Reply 50 of 57
    666666 Posts: 134member
    Can I load more than 100 songs on the memory card?

Yes, you could use a card reader to copy more than 100 songs to the card, but iTunes on the phone won?t play them. You?d have to use the phone?s other media player.

Wow, sounds amazing...

As far as i'm concerned, the only apple phone i'm interested seeing should start with;

Wifi connectablility

use SD cards

have no song limit

sync with iTunes, iPhoto & iCal perfectly

no memory limit

scroll wheel, or some good relevant interface.

Can you imagine if they released a phone that looked like an ipod? they'd kill it! Forget motorola, they're rubbish.
  • Reply 51 of 57
    bingo. i'm kind of disturbed by this a little. apple purposely let moto release a product that is far, far, *FAR* below apple standards.
  • Reply 52 of 57
    Macworld/Playlist just smacked down the ROKR big time.

http://playlistmag.com/reviews/2005/...view/index.php

"Rating: 2.5 stars (out of 5)

Pros: Decent range; sound quality equal to an iPod; support for multiple playlists

Cons: Dead-slow syncing; poky interface; artificial track limit; reversed stereo channels"

...reversed stereo channels? that's just frackin weird. almost sounds like some sortof a prank by Apple engineering... rubbing salt into moto's wounds. either that or moto engineering is just plain incompetent.

...45 minutes to sync songs that takes just 5 minutes with a shuffle...

...i suppose for the mac faithful, 2.5 stars out of 5 pretty much sums up this whole overhyped, delayed, under-delivered piece of trash that was supposed to be this awesome thing. a bloody greek tragedy, this is...

...and i appreciate the people that came out and were like, no, no, of course they wouldn't use the e390 or whatever... it's just a placeholder... yes, it gave us hope but... well, looks like someone forgot to replace that 'placeholder' with a better looking, sleeker phone
  • Reply 53 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

bingo. i'm kind of disturbed by this a little. apple purposely let moto release a product that is far, far, *FAR* below apple standards.

Some reviews here in the US are so so. But some are good. Over in Europe the reviews are very good. An example is the one in The Inquirer, which almost never says much good about Apple, except for the iPods.

Actually once you press the music button, the iPod =-like interface id pretty good.

The other misunderstanding is thinking that you can only have 100 songs. That limit is per card. Each card can contain another list. I know it's less convenient, but look at the surveys, the average number of songs people have is 308. iPod users have about 525. Those who use something other than an iPod have only a little more than 100.

This device is pointed much more towards them.
  • Reply 54 of 57
    This got screwed up. I'm going to try again.
  • Reply 55 of 57
    Quote:

Macworld/Playlist just smacked down the ROKR big time.

http://playlistmag.com/reviews/2005/...view/index.php

"Rating: 2.5 stars (out of 5)

Pros: Decent range; sound quality equal to an iPod; support for multiple playlists

Cons: Dead-slow syncing; poky interface; artificial track limit; reversed stereo channels"

...reversed stereo channels? that's just frackin weird. almost sounds like some sortof a prank by Apple engineering... rubbing salt into moto's wounds. either that or moto engineering is just plain incompetent.

...45 minutes to sync songs that takes just 5 minutes with a shuffle...

...i suppose for the mac faithful, 2.5 stars out of 5 pretty much sums up this whole overhyped, delayed, under-delivered piece of trash that was supposed to be this awesome thing. a bloody greek tragedy, this is...

...and i appreciate the people that came out and were like, no, no, of course they wouldn't use the e390 or whatever... it's just a placeholder... yes, it gave us hope but... well, looks like someone forgot to replace that 'placeholder' with a better looking, sleeker phone

Remember there are constraints on cost and battery life. It uses USB 1.1 for that reason. That's why it's slow.

I've read about a dozen reviews on this so far, and the only one that mentions reversed channels is this one. It's possible that Playlist is screwed up. It wouldn't be the first time. Even if it were true, it would most likely be a hardware error.

I also find it funny that the people who seem to hate it the most are those who haven't actually used it. This also seems to be true with the Sony controllers for the PS3.

Of course, after I say this people come out and pretend that they HAVE tried it. Too late. I actually have because a friend was able to get one. It really isn't bad at all. Some bad reviews are being given only out of reflex to what they had HOPED it would be, and aren't looking at it as it is in relationship to what is out there. Sort of the Osburn effect AFTER the product is released.
  • Reply 56 of 57
    fair enough mel. i guess we just gotta get used to the fact that it's really *not* an apple product. at the end of the day it's a moto phone, and there are people that buy and use moto phones, just not me
  • Reply 57 of 57
    Quote:

fair enough mel. i guess we just gotta get used to the fact that it's really *not* an apple product. at the end of the day it's a moto phone, and there are people that buy and use moto phones, just not me

That's right. It really isn't a bad looking phone either. It just doesn't look like an iPod. As if Apple would ever let ANYONE build something that did. Even a partner.

If Apple does come up with its own leased network, and its own phones, you know they will be different.

I also meant to say that this isn't meant for us. It's meant for those who don't want a player, but might be willing to spend a bit more on a phone to get iTunes.