The Next Mac - A PC? Boldly going...

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 62
    ...For those who are unaware, Star Trek was a secret project at Apple in the early 90's to port the MacOS to run on the x86 architecture. The "Trekkies" eventually brought their secret to the higher-ups at Apple and gained permission to complete their project. But supporters left the company and it was never released.

I hope this isn't off topic..(I'm still sort of new here)

Concerning the meaning of the Star Trek references I am reminded of some idea about a real voice command interactive computer(Just like they had on Star Trek) If we could interact with our computers like they do on Star Trek that would be a lust factor Warp 10

just dreaming out loud
  • Reply 62 of 62
    cindercinder Posts: 381member
    Users - consumers and professionals alike - would jump ship, en masse.

Period.

Apple has spent the past 4 years selling us Macs because they're so different from Wintel machines - not because they're the same.

It's not just the OS that's different.

I can understand Apple keeping this up their sleeve as a last resort - but we're nowhere near. With Apple's current bravado about their products and future I don't think they're really that worried.

The reason Apple is still doing well is BECAUSE they are different.

not to mention they'd be throwing 4- years worth of marketing expenses right out the window.

"See we're different still! Our computers are the same as Wintel now - but they'r emore expensive!"

I don't mean to flame, but this is seriously the most ridiculous idea in the world.

Especially in light of the stagnant economy.

Who wants to buy from a company that doesn't trust their own products?