Apple unwraps iTunes 5

Comments

• Reply 121 of 162
    In the search function, could someone mind telling me what the "booklets" feature is. Is this something they might be coming out with for digital music - or does it already exist and I just never noticed? Can I buy digital "booklets" for my CDs I already own? ...or download them?
  • Reply 122 of 162
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iShawn

In the search function, could someone mind telling me what the "booklets" feature is. Is this something they might be coming out with for digital music - or does it already exist and I just never noticed? Can I buy digital "booklets" for my CDs I already own? ...or download them?

NOPE! that is the beauty of the entertainment cartel^H^H^H^H^H^H ponzy scheam^H^H^H^H^H business! look at DVDs the first DVD of a movie sucks...then 2 weeks later the special edition with a fair amount of extras hits then a weeek aftter that, the super-mondo-7,000,000 disc platinum collection comes out for $5 less than the original DVD...it is the labels - not apple that screw people over.
  • Reply 123 of 162
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

...it is the labels - not apple that screw people over.

Excessive consumerism is arguable (but not here) the core issue.
  • Reply 124 of 162
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    To actually answer the question, booklets can be downloaded from the iTunes Music Store with the purchase of select albums. You can only get them with albums, and the amount of albums that contain the booklets are growing all the time.
  • Reply 125 of 162
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

To actually answer the question, booklets can be downloaded from the iTunes Music Store with the purchase of select albums. You can only get them with albums, and the amount of albums that contain the booklets are growing all the time.

That doesnt really anwer the question - if I buy an album tonight, or bought it last year, and the booklet (or video for that matter) is added on Monday and the album is the same price, is there a way to get the new content without repurchase? there should be
  • Reply 126 of 162
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

That doesnt really anwer the question - if I buy an album tonight, or bought it last year, and the booklet (or video for that matter) is added on Monday and the album is the same price, is there a way to get the new content without repurchase? there should be

it's usually on new additions to the Music Store so this is unlikely to happen.
  • Reply 127 of 162
    Is nobody else excited by the variable bit rate option for AAC that's now available in itunes import options... or was it there all along?
  • Reply 128 of 162
    No, it's new to iTunes 5. I am excited. Quicktime 7 has had it, and now it's finally in iTunes. I don't know why they didn't have AAC VBR with AAC's introduction.
  • Reply 129 of 162
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SS3 GokouX

No, it's new to iTunes 5. I am excited. Quicktime 7 has had it, and now it's finally in iTunes. I don't know why they didn't have AAC VBR with AAC's introduction.

yeah it's a very cool addition - about time
  • Reply 130 of 162
    Quote:

Originally posted by jasenj1

As you wish.

See how tight the top margin is? That's just wrong, IMHO. And the window controls are dinky.

And the titlebarless paradigm falls apart the second you enter a dialog box - like preferences - those are standard Windows UI components.

- Jasen.

That's just sick. The Windows version has round corners, the Apple version square corners!
  • Reply 131 of 162
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    One of my favorite new features is "Remember playback position" under the Options tab of Get Info. Anyone remember if podcasts behaved that way automatically before 5.0? It's already become quite handy for some video files I've started managing with iTunes simply because of that feature since (afaik) QuickTime Player doesn't have that capability. I might even like a global preference for setting it, toggling it off for tracks I don't want it set on. Or maybe the ability to set/unset it (and other options?) based on Smart Playlist criteria, thought I doubt Apple wants to let us be that clever.

Hmm, I wonder if it can be toggled with AppleScript ...
  • Reply 132 of 162
    What is the benefit of a VBR?
  • Reply 133 of 162
    Quote:

Originally posted by sjk

One of my favorite new features is "Remember playback position" under the Options tab of Get Info. Anyone remember if podcasts behaved that way automatically before 5.0?

Yes, yes they did.
  • Reply 134 of 162
    Quote:

Originally posted by iShawn

What is the benefit of a VBR?

It varies the bit rate in the encoding so that when music requires more detail, it increases the bit rate, when there is less, it lowers it. Depending on the emphasis placed by the encoder this can give you better sounding encodings in less space.

From reports though, it appears Apple have put the emphasis on increasing quality rather than lowing file sizes as a VBR encoded AAC is slightly larger than a non VBR song. Most other encoders produce smaller files.

The disadvantage is that it requires more time to encode VBR songs and more CPU to decode them. I've not personally ran tests so I've no idea if those would be significant disadvantages.
  • Reply 135 of 162
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,145member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

It varies the bit rate in the encoding so that when music requires more detail, it increases the bit rate, when there is less, it lowers it. Depending on the emphasis placed by the encoder this can give you better sounding encodings in less space.

From reports though, it appears Apple have put the emphasis on increasing quality rather than lowing file sizes as a VBR encoded AAC is slightly larger than a non VBR song. Most other encoders produce smaller files.

The disadvantage is that it requires more time to encode VBR songs and more CPU to decode them. I've not personally ran tests so I've no idea if those would be significant disadvantages.

Since quality is the issue compared to other codeks from MS, Real, and others, if true, Apple did the right thing.

It does take more "oomph" to encode, but decoding can't be much of a problem or an iPod couldn't do it.
  • Reply 136 of 162
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,145member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Does it? *checks on Apple*

BWAHAHAHAHA

Apparently what I was seeing was possibly detritus from the Windows code, which *DOES* require QT7.0.2. The Mac version only requires 6.5.2.

Nevermind. mel, you're right, I haven't a clue why they bumped it to 5. This should have been 4.10 from a feature point of view.

We might both be right. I said that if Apple added the ability to sell video into the program that could be worth a "5", and you said that perhaps "under the hood" changes might do it.

Welll...

Check this out at Ars. If it's right...

http://arstechnica.com/journals/appl...2005/9/12/1202
  • Reply 137 of 162
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

We might both be right. I said that if Apple added the ability to sell video into the program that could be worth a "5", and you said that perhaps "under the hood" changes might do it.

Welll...

Check this out at Ars. If it's right...

http://arstechnica.com/journals/appl...2005/9/12/1202

Sounds like a cheesy ending to a 80s sitcom to me...
  • Reply 138 of 162
    iTunes 5.0 does have an annoying feature though - I don't know what they've done to the search but if you add a song it doesn't turn up in the search for quite a while. iTunes 4.9 was much more responsive.
  • Reply 139 of 162
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by danielctull

Sounds like a cheesy ending to a 80s sitcom to me...

Naw, more like a cheesy 80's movie. Are you going to be the kid that starts clapping methodically and slowly to cue the final music?
  • Reply 140 of 162
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

iTunes 5.0 does have an annoying feature though - I don't know what they've done to the search but if you add a song it doesn't turn up in the search for quite a while. iTunes 4.9 was much more responsive.

The search is broken.

Sometimes it says you're searching all items but it's actually remembered that last search you did and is only searching the album titles or whatever you last clicked. You have to click off 'All' on something else and then back again on All.

Just one of the many crappy badly done changes in iTunes 5.