iPod nano Roundup: things you may want to know

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by jdbartlett

My question: does this mean iPod Nano is the first of a 5TH generation of iPods, or is it the last of the 4th?

I belive it is the transformation between 5th and 4th.the ipod nano is the mini of "the next ipod." it has that dock connector thing. I think there is more than we know behind it. and there has to be something else, because there is no ipod update to put screen lock and stopwatch on regular ipods so my thinking is paris is when we will see something huge as well.

i hope there is as much transformation from the 4th generation ipod to the 5th as there was with the mini to the nano. i cant see how, but leave it to apple to completely blow me away again.
  • Reply 22 of 38
    Quote:

I can see where you're headed with this reasoning, but:

i was being sarcastic. the nano should've dropped ASAP.

not sure what would compel any semicompetent business to sit on a major product until a secondary and unnecessary item is available
  • Reply 23 of 38
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

Unfortunately the ins and outs of various kinds of "intellectual property", as it is currently known, is very confusing to a lot of people.

I'm not sure what your complaint is in this particular case though. If "nano" is a registered trademark, it doesn't seem to be registered in the US. I really don't know the specifics of non-registered trademarks.

You can't register Nano as it is a standard measurement prefix. The only way Creative could precede would be to say the nano name creates confusion for consumers with their product and Apple is trying to gain customers based off that. That will be an awfully tough argument though given the word iPod is also in the title and Apple dominates the market.
  • Reply 24 of 38
    I just read on this website...

http://playlistmag.com/reviews/2005/...view/index.php

...that you can't sync an iPod nano via Firewire. What is Apple thinking? Are they trying to replace Firewire with USB on their iPods?
  • Reply 25 of 38
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nagromme

"In another one of its boneheaded moves"

If the lanyard isn't available for the first month, then perhaps the "bonheaded" move was in fact a last-minute decision to release the nano early, instead of in Paris.

Perhaps they had GOOD reason to release the nano now and not wait for the lanyard to be ready. We may never know. Perhaps they would have been smarter to wait.

i agree.

the GOOD reason of the september 7th nano release was the ROKR, it sucks.
  • Reply 26 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by gar

i agree.

the GOOD reason of the september 7th nano release was the ROKR, it sucks.

yup, steve frickin OWNED moto's ass. he was like, well, this is the ROKR, there you have it. now, fuck that shit, check out my new iPod Nano (mutters under his breath.."fuck these moto losers. what a disgusting phone. jeez. this is how you design something cool, losers.... heh hehehh heh")..........
  • Reply 27 of 38
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MPMoriarty

I just read on this website...

http://playlistmag.com/reviews/2005/...view/index.php

...that you can't sync an iPod nano via Firewire. What is Apple thinking? Are they trying to replace Firewire with USB on their iPods?

I think the consensus here is that there simply wasn't room for both so it had to be USB. That's just the way it goes.
  • Reply 28 of 38
    Quote:

My next question then is whether anyone has tried using a regular iPod dock with their new iPod Nano? Any success?

Isn't this why Apple included the little dock adaptor cap? On other products, such as the Bose iPod speaker system, where the adaptor doesn't fit, it appears that the connecter is strong enough to support the weight of the nano. At least until individual manufacturers can ship their own adaptors.

This is why Apple started the "Made for iPod" program, so that participating parties will use the same standard pieces: Apple can then ship one dock adapter which then fits in all products.
  • Reply 29 of 38
    There may be another reason they released the iPod Nanon now: they wanted to keep it separate from the announcements they are going to be making at Apple Expo Paris. Remember that there are rumours flying around that new PowerBooks are going to be announced at the expo. By keeping the announcements separate they can be sure that the media will be providing a good amount of time on each product, rather than getting lost. Also any media looking at Apple with the iPod nano, it should mean that people will notice the new PowerBook announcement better when it happens.

As to the Motorola ROKR: some people only want to deal with having one device in their pocket. Having an iPod and a cell phone in your pocket can get to be a bit much. They only thing that Motorola needs to sort out is customizable cases, like Nokia has got right.
  • Reply 30 of 38
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gar

I agree.

The GOOD reason of the september 7th nano release was the ROKR, it sucks.

Did anyone catch the part of the keynote where Steve Jobs said about the new ROKR:

"The RAZR was the best phone on the market... until now"

It was so funny I damn near soiled myself. Then I realized he was being serious.

• Reply 31 of 38
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ajmas

There may be another reason they released the iPod Nano now: they wanted to keep it separate from the announcements they are going to be making at Apple Expo Paris. Remember that there are rumours flying around that new PowerBooks are going to be announced at the expo. By keeping the announcements separate they can be sure that the media will be providing a good amount of time on each product, rather than getting lost. Also any media looking at Apple with the iPod nano, it should mean that people will notice the new PowerBook announcement better when it happens.

As to the Motorola ROKR: some people only want to deal with having one device in their pocket. Having an iPod and a cell phone in your pocket can get to be a bit much. They only thing that Motorola needs to sort out is customizable cases, like Nokia has got right.

The all new iPod nano is something to get excited about while the PowerBook bump will be rather boring. So a special event for the iPod nano makes sense. The PowerBook will likely get nothing more than a press release. Until the Intel transition begins I'm expecting any computer product announcements to be low-key. This may be one of the reasons the Paris keynote was cancelled.

As far as the ROKR is concerned they did as little as possible. It's really the worst case scenario. It's a rather crappy model to base it on (no, it's not a new design at all) and it suffers from Motorola's typical poor quality GUI/interface. If this was a Sony-Ericsson I would be excited.
  • Reply 32 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1984

Did anyone catch the part of the keynote where Steve Jobs said about the new ROKR:

"The RAZR was the best phone on the market... until now"

It was so funny I damn near soiled myself. Then I realized he was being serious.

He's a salesman, so he cannot be taken seriously. They are always selling. I honestly believe he was not impressed with the Moto phone, but it is the only iTunes capable phone for now.

Once sales are proven totally lackluster, expect to see an iTunes RAZR soon enough.
  • Reply 33 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by SpamSandwich

He's a salesman, so he cannot be taken seriously.

Well there's that - but he also pointed out about 10 times that the actual phone was designed by Motorola.
  • Reply 34 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by k squared

Isn't this why Apple included the little dock adaptor cap? On other products, such as the Bose iPod speaker system, where the adaptor doesn't fit, it appears that the connecter is strong enough to support the weight of the nano. At least until individual manufacturers can ship their own adaptors.

This is why Apple started the "Made for iPod" program, so that participating parties will use the same standard pieces: Apple can then ship one dock adapter which then fits in all products.

Thank you! I was asking about using the Nano in the current docks for the very reason you mentioned (plus the fact that the universal docks aren't available yet!) Hopefully, universal dock adapters will also be made for mini and older iPod models. Either that or we won't see the universal dock until the release of the big 5gs.
  • Reply 35 of 38
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    I wonder if the size and shape of the "new dock adapter" portends the size and shape of the bottom of the next-generation iPod, and whether any additional information can be inferred. Is it deeper? Slimmer? Wider?
  • Reply 36 of 38
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Each future iPod is supposed to come with a universal dock adapter. That UDA is then supposed to fit into any and all accessory docks that "Made for iPod" licensed third party manufacturers make.

So in essence, expect every iPod for the foreseeable future to fit in the size of the UDA's outside edge. This *could* give us an idea of the shape and size of iPods that may be coming.
  • Reply 37 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

yup, steve frickin OWNED moto's ass. he was like, well, this is the ROKR, there you have it. now, fuck that shit, check out my new iPod Nano (mutters under his breath.."fuck these moto losers. what a disgusting phone. jeez. this is how you design something cool, losers.... heh hehehh heh")..........

It looked to me like he deliberately biffed the demo or the ROKR.
  • Reply 38 of 38
    Originally posted by AquaMac

It looked to me like he deliberately biffed the demo or the ROKR....